Ajo, AZ revisited with Ultimate Terrian USA

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 5, 2005 3:03:03 PM

Aquired UT USA, and it's one of those "must have" additions, no doubt about
it!! I went back to Ajo, AZ and added two screenies to the original
Photobucket album so you can see the make over. WOW! And as Dr. DW-O
pointed out, you can get 25% discount if you have USA Roads, which makes it
$26 USD if downloaded (little over an hour for 1.2GB on cable broadband)..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/ajo/?acti...

Hit RESUME to start the slide show - or click on "back to photobucket album"
to select the shots manually at full size (more better :) ....

My main complaint so far with UT-USA, in the limited time to sight see and
experiment, is that it over emphasizes the small creeks to river size, plus
any dry creeks (like around Ajo) appears as desert oasis full of water.
Even dry creeks locally here in n/w AR are shown as small rivers. I backed
off the "gully" effect from -10 to -4 meters, but I haven't tried turning
off the stream emphasis totally, that's next.
Also got some strange effects in Florida since I'd just loaded FreeFlow
Florida a few weeks ago. With it turned off in the scenery library I ended
up with roads over the water around Miami, with no islands, etc., plus a lot
of the housing plots with canals were shown as blocks of green creeks - so I
have a lot of playing to do there to get the right mix, right now FFFL is
left at the top of the scenery food chain and looking great. Oh well, keeps
me out of the bars, alleys, and play grounds.....
UT-USA roads are more accurate than the original USA Roads, so they
obviously used some updated data - lots of little irregularities that I
noticed in the local roads (also seen in other mapping software) have been
corrected. USA Roads muct be turned off totally in the library, inc. all
choices for USA Roads AND default FS9, even with UT-USA at a higher level,
or you end up with multiple roads (at least I did). The alternate third
party textures to "tone down" the map effect of the USA Roads, also works
with UT-USA - just replace the same files.

So I hope everyone in the upper 3/4 of North America had a happy 1st and/or
4th..... d:->))

Cheers'n Beerz.. [_])
Don
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 5, 2005 4:55:25 PM

CRaSH <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote:

> So I hope everyone in the upper 3/4 of North America had a happy 1st and/or
> 4th..... d:->))

Thanks for the excellent review.

--
Peter

a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 5, 2005 10:59:21 PM

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in

> alleys, and play grounds..... UT-USA roads are more accurate than the
> original USA Roads, so they obviously used some updated data - lots of
> little irregularities that I noticed in the local roads (also seen in
> other mapping software) have been corrected. USA Roads muct be turned
> off totally in the library, inc. all choices for USA Roads AND default
> FS9, even with UT-USA at a higher level, or you end up with multiple
> roads (at least I did). The alternate third party textures to "tone
> down" the map effect of the USA Roads, also works with UT-USA - just
> replace the same files.

The UT developers have a discussion of this on their site. They say that
thre are two different data providers -- USA roads uses one and UT the
other. It sounds like USA roads may be better in some areas than others.
IIRC UT said that the same provider is used for roads and coastline
data, so the assumption is that roads near coasts should appear
correctly.

scott s.
..
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 6, 2005 3:30:30 PM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:03:03 -0500, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Aquired UT USA, and it's one of those "must have" additions, no doubt about
>it!! I went back to Ajo, AZ and added two screenies to the original
>Photobucket album so you can see the make over. WOW! And as Dr. DW-O
>pointed out..

Is that dr. David Wilson? one must be aware of the crowd he's amongst
in here.. it's reflected in the quality of discussion.

So then is UT USA a mesh / terrain / land-class product? not photo-
real.. correct? I think a LOT can still be done with terrain textures
and land-class files.. also with hi-res SPOT mesh!!

>http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/ajo/?acti...

It looks fantastic however the numerous blue streams in the desert
are a bit odd looking. aGaiN it's likely a terrain bitmap thing.. how
about expanding the terrain texture complement two-fold for the next
version of Sim?

>Hit RESUME to start the slide show - or click on "back to photobucket album"
>to select the shots manually at full size (more better :) ....
>
>My main complaint so far with UT-USA, in the limited time to sight see and
>experiment, is that it over emphasizes the small creeks to river size, plus
>any dry creeks (like around Ajo) appears as desert oasis full of water.
>Even dry creeks locally here in n/w AR are shown as small rivers. I backed
>off the "gully" effect from -10 to -4 meters, but I haven't tried turning
>off the stream emphasis totally, that's next.
>Also got some strange effects in Florida since I'd just loaded FreeFlow
>Florida a few weeks ago. With it turned off in the scenery library I ended
>up with roads over the water around Miami, with no islands, etc., plus a lot
>of the housing plots with canals were shown as blocks of green creeks - so I
>have a lot of playing to do there to get the right mix, right now FFFL is
>left at the top of the scenery food chain and looking great. Oh well, keeps
>me out of the bars, alleys, and play grounds.....

FF went to great trouble to get it (as) correct (as possible)..
accurate shores `raise the bar' on the precision of everything else.
It means additional and larger files.. but more-so the need for
software tools and new automation process (for scene-gen).

>UT-USA roads are more accurate than the original USA Roads, so they
>obviously used some updated data - lots of little irregularities that I
>noticed in the local roads (also seen in other mapping software) have been
>corrected. USA Roads muct be turned off totally in the library, inc. all
>choices for USA Roads AND default FS9, even with UT-USA at a higher level,
>or you end up with multiple roads (at least I did). The alternate third
>party textures to "tone down" the map effect of the USA Roads, also works
>with UT-USA - just replace the same files.

Now some fun with animations.. the following GIF was generated with
LWM Viewer (the old version) turning on-off the VTPs. You'll recognise
it as Chesapeake Bay, Delaware (Corp haven), southeast NJ, and NYC.

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/NE_shores_anim.gif (111k)

In the case of FFNE.. one can explore, identify, and remove the FS8
BGLs and replace with FS9 shores. So then.. for the whole USA.. I'd
imagine ALL of the FS8 shores and streams could be replaced.. the BGL
files that is. Just some app- (hack) notes for those interested. :)

-Gregory

>So I hope everyone in the upper 3/4 of North America had a happy
>1st and/or 4th..... d:->))

ahhhh.. damn drunks!!

>Cheers'n Beerz.. [_])
> Don

July 6, 2005 3:30:31 PM

Gregory wrote:
> It looks fantastic however the numerous blue streams in the desert
> are a bit odd looking. aGaiN it's likely a terrain bitmap thing..

UT lets you turn off "stream emphasis", which basically gets rid of the
small streams and creeks, but that's not realistic either - too bad they
didn't give a hi/lo/off level adjust for it. Apparently it's no little
chore, as it takes several minutes for setup to change the configuration.
Now I have to decide whether I want too much or no creeks.. decisions,
decisions, decisions.................
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 15, 2005 2:51:57 AM

I am thinking of designing some custom desert streams.

Could I get some verbal descriptions of what the stream beds and stream
banks would look like in each of the four seasons?
Would there be some run-off water in the spring? Would there be color
changes or size changes from one season to another?

thanx........

!