Windows-Powered Nokia Lumia 510 Handset Emerges

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabZDK

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I don't dislike the 510, but I don't really see much market for it, those who want a smartphone can get a 1-year or 2-year contract and get a more powerful phone. And those who just want a low-price phone will just stick with an old school Nokia or a generic one.
I don't really see what you're trying to do Nokia

hannibal

Distinguished
It is most propably sold without contracts! So sheap windows phone can have customers. Win 7.5 works very well with not so fast hardware, and if they can allso keep the power usage in good shape, this can sell a lot. But hard to say before tests comes out.

[citation][nom]GabZDK[/nom]I don't dislike the 510, but I don't really see much market for it, those who want a smartphone can get a 1-year or 2-year contract and get a more powerful phone. And those who just want a low-price phone will just stick with an old school Nokia or a generic one.I don't really see what you're trying to do Nokia[/citation]

It's not aimed at North American and European markets, it's aimed at emerging Indian and Chinese markets.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is a low-end budget phone like... for... China.

This has been going on for decades. When we (in the west) get 386/486 computers, 3rd world counties were still buying NEW Commodore 64s. So yeah, in places on this planet were people make $100 a month (and doing well), something like the L510 is major purchase.

Even MS did this with Windows XP/vista/7 Starter Editions... and why Linux is rather popular in such countries as well. Why pay $25 for a half-ass OS like "Starter" when you get can get a full blown OS for $0?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
For a device without a 2-3 year contract this looks pretty nice, especially for markets that can't afford the extortionate iphone prices. The 256Mb would be a concern to me though, it won't even run all WP&/7.5 apps and let you use many of the default features of the OS itself (like some of the sharing functionality). Seriously, how much would it cost to wack an extra 256 in there?

RealBeast

Titan
How about a $150 phone that runs Win 8 well? I need 4 new phones and am paralyzed until I see what they come up with next month.

I really want to see the Win8 phones before I buy new phones to see how well they integrate with my Win 7 network. They may be great or a total bust, but I'm not interested in fighting with iPhones on my Win 7 machines anymore. Besides iPhones are really not that cool since every spoiled 7 year old has one. :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]This is a low-end budget phone like... for... China.This has been going on for decades. When we (in the west) get 386/486 computers, 3rd world counties were still buying NEW Commodore 64s. So yeah, in places on this planet were people make $100 a month (and doing well), something like the L510 is major purchase.Even MS did this with Windows XP/vista/7 Starter Editions... and why Linux is rather popular in such countries as well. Why pay $25 for a half-ass OS like "Starter" when you get can get a full blown OS for $0?[/citation]
There is a reason it is lower priced or free, if they charged more or at all, the take up rate would be zero, Linux is fre but still only on 0.86% of desktop PCs, even steam users outnumber it be 2.5 to 1

sanjiro

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
$150 for this phone seems really expensive, I can get the Lumia 710 here for $150 on sale ($200 normally) and it's a much better phone. For $150 they really should have put in at least 512MB of ram (especially since it's dirt cheap at the moment), or barring that, sell it for less.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
I have never yet seen a Windows phone other than in a store.
I'm kinda glad actually.
Though this phone may change that.
The most successful Nokia phones were the ones free with a 2 year contract.
And Nokia phone has been quite successful in the past.

svillav

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
Linux on 0,85% desktops?? Maybe in USA. Not in the rest of the world. There Linux is far more popular and would be the main OS the day Windows turned impossible to run illegally In my country 3 out of 4 Windows installs aren't legal, and Office will run about 85% pirated copies.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]svillav[/nom]Linux on 0,85% desktops?? Maybe in USA. Not in the rest of the world. There Linux is far more popular and would be the main OS the day Windows turned impossible to run illegally In my country 3 out of 4 Windows installs aren't legal, and Office will run about 85% pirated copies.[/citation]
Many countries have high levels of mirrored virus/traced distros of linux. Going to ubuntu.com is just too hard to get a clean copy.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I tend to misplace my phones so I don't do contracts. $200 dollars is about all that I will pay for a phone. I was hoping to find an actual Windows 8 phone though.

These phones are terribly overpriced.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]It is most propably sold without contracts! So sheap windows phone can have customers. Win 7.5 works very well with not so fast hardware, and if they can allso keep the power usage in good shape, this can sell a lot. But hard to say before tests comes out.[/citation]

The Lumia 700 is to slow to run WP7 properly, so features has been disabled and it's even worse on Lumia 600, the upcoming Lumia 500 will not be much better than the 600 or 700 series, so it will have features disabled and of course it will run WP7 as Elop thinks there is a super market for old generation operating systems with less features than Symbian S40.

The sales of WP devices is devastatingly low, it's not enough you die-hard micrsoft fanboys buy it, the market share is falling daily after the small peak at 3% (It may include the Lumia 801 sold in China which runs on Symbian, as the WP was unsellable in China).

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]GabZDK[/nom]I don't dislike the 510, but I don't really see much market for it, those who want a smartphone can get a 1-year or 2-year contract and get a more powerful phone. And those who just want a low-price phone will just stick with an old school Nokia or a generic one.I don't really see what you're trying to do Nokia[/citation]
yeah just because your world revolves around the US market doesn't mean everyone else does the same..
your home market is the only one stupid enough where you would rather pay $2000 to $3000 over 2 years rather then a one time $150 to $600...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]It's not aimed at North American and European markets, it's aimed at emerging Indian and Chinese markets.[/citation]
Indian markets aren't "emerging". They're "emerging" in terms of higher end devices ($500+). I don't know so much about Chinese markets.

BTW we don't have contracts, and pay full. Arguably, in Europe and the USA, if you had to buy a $750+ iphone like we do, you'd probably be as "emerging" as we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.