Sign in with
Your question

A8N32 SLI Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
April 13, 2006 4:56:37 AM

Hi.

Looking at the layout of this mobo it looks like running SLI will knock out 2 of the PCI slots.

Is this true? What expansion slots can you reasonably use for other stuff if running SLI?

More about : a8n32 sli deluxe

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2006 5:46:10 AM

With 2 cards utilizing one slot coolers, all 3. If using 2 slot coolers, just 1.
April 13, 2006 4:05:40 PM

I have the same mb and have 2 BFG 7900GTX.

There is one pci slot that is open between the two cards.

However, being honest, it's not really usable. If I put anything in there, it would be right up against the top vid card. It would probably actually be touching it.

That would block off the fan/air flow.

So, if you user the "bigger" cards, you really don't get to use any of the pci slots.
Related resources
April 13, 2006 5:08:53 PM

Maybe you should look into the regular A8N SLI, it has two PCI-E x1 slots between the SLI cards, with 3 PCI slots farther down the mobo, easy to reach.
April 18, 2006 12:32:09 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should look into the regular A8N SLI, it has two PCI-E x1 slots between the SLI cards, with 3 PCI slots farther down the mobo, easy to reach.

Thanks for the tip.

I did have my heart set on passive northbridge cooling though and thought it would be good to have 2xPCIe x16.

I keep going round in circles when trying to decide the mobo. ARRRRGHHHHH
April 18, 2006 5:36:10 AM

You can still use the bottom of the two pci slots between the pci-e slots, that's where I have my soundcard. the 7800gtx's I have don't block the fan cooling too much, all is okay... just can't use the other two pci slots :( 

PDH-NicFury
April 18, 2006 6:45:01 AM

Quote:

The original A8N-SLI is a high class piece of crap. Don't believe me? PM wusy.
April 18, 2006 6:48:46 AM

Quote:

The original A8N-SLI is a high class piece of crap. Don't believe me? PM

wusy.

Anyone got anything bad to say about the A8N SLI Premium?
or The Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI?
April 18, 2006 7:02:24 AM

I have this board, I am using two water cooled GPUs and yes two of the pci slots are completely useless, the lower one between the two PCIe slots is used though for my wireless card. The good news is that the spare 4x slot is very much available with loads of room. Now all we need is a PCIe version of XFi!
April 18, 2006 7:19:57 AM

Quote:

The original A8N-SLI is a high class piece of crap. Don't believe me? PM

wusy.

Anyone got anything bad to say about the A8N SLI Premium?
or The Gigabyte K8N Pro SLI?
Premium is an improvement, although the Deluxe is still junk. I haven't heard anything bad about the gigabyte, since I don't buy Gigabyte products. Might want to look at a Biostar SLI...I've been really, really satisfied with my TForce series 6100...and I was comparing it to an Ultra-D!
April 18, 2006 7:20:28 AM

Quote:
I have this board, I am using two water cooled GPUs and yes two of the pci slots are completely useless, the lower one between the two PCIe slots is used though for my wireless card. The good news is that the spare 4x slot is very much available with loads of room. Now all we need is a PCIe version of XFi!

All I need is a PCIe version of anything!
April 18, 2006 8:54:43 AM

Asus was not thinking when they designed that board. One of the worst designed SLI motherboards out today. Get an MSI K8N Diamond plus, has everything the Asus has, and then some. Built in Audigy 2 sound card also. With 2 7900GT's in mine, I have full use of all 3 of my PCI slots.
April 18, 2006 12:27:22 PM

Quote:

A8R32-MVP can do SLI. (no joke)

Use Thermalright V1 Ultra so you sacrifice the top slot(PCI) instead of the buttom slot(PCIe 4x)

I thought the V1 was big. The KuFormula VF1 is another good choice to look at, as well as the older Arctic Cooling series.
April 18, 2006 1:10:54 PM

Quote:
Asus was not thinking when they designed that board. One of the worst designed SLI motherboards out today. Get an MSI K8N Diamond plus, has everything the Asus has, and then some. Built in Audigy 2 sound card also. With 2 7900GT's in mine, I have full use of all 3 of my PCI slots.

I have to agree with this statement. I almost got the MSI board, but shied away because of a bad experience I had with them before. However, I think I would have been happier with the MSI board...
April 18, 2006 7:25:08 PM

My A8N32 had two liquid-cooled 7800GTX's and an X-Fi Extreme Music soundcard between them. Tight fit, but it worked. This was on an open rack. When I put the system into a case I lost the SLI capability due to excessive heat, on the NB I guess. They supply a fan adaptor to use on the NB heatsink for those who liquid cool. Be sure and use it if you go with liquid cooling. I didn't and quickly learned why they supply the fan set-up with the MoBo! No need to say it - yes, I'm the dumb-a**!
April 26, 2006 11:21:17 AM

If you are going to get an A8N32 simply use water cooled GPUs for SLI or not- that way the card/s only take up one slot each.
!