Sign in with
Your question

Oc Barton & ram

Last response: in Overclocking
April 13, 2006 10:08:01 AM

I tried overclocking this pc but I don't seem to get any stability in windows......
Barton 2600+ 333mhz
MSI K7N2-Ultra 400
2x256 ddr 400/pc3200 PMI modules
Asus a9600se 128/64
Western 800Jb

These are my last bios setings:
CPU fsb clock [200 mhz]
cpu fsb/dram ratio [1:1]
cpu interface [hy performance]
dram fsb [200 mhz]
dram peformance [hy performance]
dram tymings:2.5 3 3 7
agp fast write [enabled]......etc

windows loads just fine,I use everest for simple benchmarks and notice a performance increase of over 25% (cpu runs at 2300mhz)but when I try a more complex benchmark(aquamark) it just closes and gives
an error like "could not read certain thread" or something without restarting or blocking.Could this be a memorie problem,because if I lower or raise latencies
the benchmark stopes at different points durring tests?
PS; I have't raised any voltages,they are the same as default (cpu 1.68v)

More about : barton ram

April 13, 2006 11:19:41 AM

You'll probably need to raise the voltage at bit on the cpu. If the bios is set to 1.65 now, raise it to 1.7 and try again, then 1.75 and see if it stables out. The voltage monitor in windows may read it higher than what it's set in the bios but that's OK. I wouldn't personally set it above a point where it reads higher than 1.8.

If that doesn't work, loosen up on the memory timing a little and see if it will stabalize.
April 13, 2006 11:25:19 AM

The way I would do this is set it to default. Raise the FSB in increments of five. Once it becomes unstable, bump the cpu and memory voltage a bit(if you OC the memory) and relax the timings. Continue with that process until bumping the voltage gives you no gains and no stability. And then work your way down to the lowest possible voltage at that stable settings, along with the tightest timings. Also need to make sure you can lock your busses so that they do not increase with the rest of your system. It is a lengthy process but it will work if you follow it.
Related resources
April 13, 2006 12:20:04 PM

Assuming that the memory is pc3200 and the board supports it (which he says it is), then raising the memory voltage may not be necessary. Though, sometimes when you start raising values it's necessary to increase the voltages to overcome any noise, etc. As you say, it can be a lengthly process.
April 13, 2006 2:26:48 PM

I don't think is the cpu hwo needs voltage because if I leave the setings to [AUTO] (cpu fsb 333,dram 400mhz) the system performs as unstable as the overclocked one.I think I should try a diferent set of mem. modules...
April 13, 2006 2:40:40 PM

Why didn't you say that to begin with? I'd also run the memory and cpu at 1:1, but that's just me.

I've seen compatability issues with memory modules and motherboards, so before you start overclocking get your system running stable at stock speeds, then go from there. :?
April 13, 2006 4:22:05 PM

It's stable at [HY PERFORMANCE ] setings,at [AUTO] it crashes (bios's default setings)
April 13, 2006 4:57:16 PM

Are "Hi Performance" and "Auto" the only options you have available?
April 14, 2006 6:18:14 AM

only 3 options [hi performance]
[AUTO]
[Manual]
April 14, 2006 7:02:55 AM

I'd try adjusting the Ram speed down to 333MHz rather than 400MHz, especially when you're overclocking. If your system is anything like my AthlonXP 2200+, running the RAM faster than the bus doesn't help throughput, and hurt latencies a tad because of looser timings. Plus, when you overclock, the RAM will still be running at less than the 400MHz it is rated at.

edit: my old board is an MSI KT6V-LSR just in case anyone was wondering.

-mcg
April 14, 2006 8:04:27 AM

i have a 2600+ barton at 2.3 ghz (200x11.5) but i had to crank up my voltage to 1.9 to get it stable. i have my timings at 2.5 3 3 7 @200mhz. i can run any benchmark and i am stable in super pi but prime95 crashes after about 1 hour and its also stable in all my games bar gta san andreas
April 14, 2006 8:07:14 AM

oh and i had to raise my chipset voltage 1 notch aswell or its as stable as mud
April 14, 2006 4:30:26 PM

Yes more RAM info and you're probably going to have to set it to "Manual" and start adjusting your memory timings individually.

mad_fitzy, what does memtest tell you?
April 24, 2006 9:29:36 PM

May 2, 2006 7:51:30 PM

Hi ive just replied to a few post reguaring OC'ing A-XPs so here is a cut-n-past of what I said to them, sorry about it but Im sure it will help a little...

Ive got a XP1700 0.13u thurbread rev B and its clocking in at the top end for the XP cores and thats only 2.25GHz so if your getting 2.2GHz your almost at the max for the XP series with out going to extreams,
ive got a very nice Alpha PAL 90 cooling it and im at the limit of the core so heats not an issue with my clock.

I would say that if you cool your chip a little better prob boost the volts a little bit more you will get that extra 50Hz or a bit more from it, the fastest XP ever in this core was the XP3200 and that ran at 2.2GHz so that the fastest AMD could get from the core reliably so you shouldn't expect massive gains from this figure.

If memmory serves me correct ive got the core at 1.65V with a FSB of 333MHz for the sweet spot for my CPU and its been running at this speed and volt for a good few years now, my mobo is a A-Bit NF7 V2 and with this combo and the cpu the multiplier is unlocked and set to 7.

hope that info helps you a little.
!