New rig- Best mobo to get?

vimes06

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Ok I recently bought an x1900xtx graphics card and am now looking to upgrade my pc so I can actually use it (current pc is and socket 753 mobo no pci-e). I've chosen most of my parts but am having trouble choosing my mobo. The pc will mainly be for games and preferably to last a couple of years.Here are the items I currently play on buying:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 90nm
Mobo: (not sure which one here)
Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire
or
Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi
or
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi
or
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra

I dont plan to do any overclocking or use sli or crossfire but I still want a decent motherboard with the possiblity of upgrading the cpu at a later date,possibly eventually adding xfire or sli if iI really needed to at a later point. One of my main questions with the motherboards is as iI have an ati card and plan to be sticking with ati, am I much better off with an ati chipset board? Or does the chipset really not make that much difference to the graphics card performance? Also the a8r32 is quite a bit more expensive than a couple of the other asus boards, so is it really worth the extra money?

psu:hiper modular 580w psu
cpu cooler: artic cooling alpine 64cpu cooler

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

linux_0

Splendid
Ok I recently bought an x1900xtx graphics card and am now looking to upgrade my pc so I can actually use it (current pc is and socket 753 mobo no pci-e). I've chosen most of my parts but am having trouble choosing my mobo. The pc will mainly be for games and preferably to last a couple of years.Here are the items I currently play on buying:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 90nm
Mobo: (not sure which one here)
Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire
or
Asus A8N-SLi SE nForce4 SLi
or
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi
or

I dont plan to do any overclocking or use sli or crossfire but I still want a decent motherboard with the possiblity of upgrading the cpu at a later date,possibly eventually adding xfire or sli if iI really needed to at a later point. One of my main questions with the motherboards is as iI have an ati card and plan to be sticking with ati, am I much better off with an ati chipset board? Or does the chipset really not make that much difference to the graphics card performance? Also the a8r32 is quite a bit more expensive than a couple of the other asus boards, so is it really worth the extra money?

psu:hiper modular 580w psu
cpu cooler: artic cooling alpine 64cpu cooler

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

I vote for the Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI

Any quality nForce4 board will work fine. :-D

vimes06

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Only thing with the premium is its around the same price as the crossfire A8R32-MVP board which has a newer and ati chipset and is a better board overall? or is it not? Ive read alot of good reviews about the A8R32-MVP board.

Also with those 2 boards they are around £110 + whereas the msi board is about £75. So is it really worth £40 extra for the A8N premium or A8R32?

linux_0

Splendid
Only thing with the premium is its around the same price as the crossfire A8R32-MVP board which has a newer and ati chipset and is a better board overall? or is it not? Ive read alot of good reviews about the A8R32-MVP board.

Also with those 2 boards they are around £110 + whereas the msi board is about £75. So is it really worth £40 extra for the A8N premium or A8R32?

You're better off with a plain nForce4 or nForce4 Ultra.

Check out these boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

They should sell for about 40 - 60 GBP.

Both are very good and much cheaper.

nForce4 is the ideal chipset for S939.

vimes06

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
ty for advice :) , but out of the two mobos which one is the best basically lol, which one is likely to last longest or are they basically the same?Also does the nvidia chipset makes no differnece and wont make my ati graphics card perform anyless than it would with an ati?
Also noticed that i can get a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra for about £10 more than them 2, would it be worth it?

vimes06

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Ok thanks for replies :) i've decided to go with the:

read quite a few good reviews on it, it does the job and is £55 less than other mobos :) thanks for help.

linux_0

Splendid
Ok thanks for replies :) i've decided to go with the:

read quite a few good reviews on it, it does the job and is £55 less than other mobos :) thanks for help.

Good choice :-D

Incidentally, in response to your previous question, an ATI chipset would not work any better. In fact I have had a lot of problems with ATI chipsets on AMD and Intel platforms.

It is generally recognized S939 + nForce4 is the best platform.

nForce chipsets work great with ATI cards as well as nVidia cards.