Whats the best way to clean a pricey LCD monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay so nothin technichal here as you can see :) I just want advice on how to SAFELY remove all the misterious fingerprint smudges, streaks and dirt off my high range 19" LCD monitor, cause they're starting to anoy me! thanks in advance for any advice.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Um, water on a soft cloth, maybe?

Or a screen cleaner pad.

Don't use windex, etc. And turn the monitor off first.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
most comp stores will have special wipes or special cleaning stuff. best to use those as most are anti streak and anti static. water doens't evaporate completely and so you get annoying streaks.

Water and a soft cloth works fine for me, though.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Okay ill check out my local computer store. One thing though, i cant use my PC at the moment cause a part in it is off for RMA and so i cant check out my monitor. Im just a bit concerned cause a couple a days ago i noticed a real tough looking bit of dirt on the monitor and so, not thinking straight, i went and gave it a rub! Now im afraid that i might of damaged it! Im pretty new to LCD's so i dont really know what kind of abuse they can take. Do you think that when i turn it on next week i will see a couple of dead pixels or am i being too paranoid!? Also what kind of abuse have your monitors gone through?

GreenDragon

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I use a 70% isopropyply alcohol mixture with an equal amount of water. 50/50. Do Not use a paper towel but a clean soft cloth.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
eyeglass/lense cleaning cloth works great, is very soft and does not scratch or leave lint behind. And ya, I have used isopropyl as well w/ good results. I think most of the store bought cleaners are mostly the same alcohol.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
you can also try those liquids for cleaning photo camera's lenses. i dont know if your monitor has some kind of coating on the screen, but considering that some lenses have such coating, i guess the cleaning solution will be harmless to your monitor.

but the best way to clean your monitor is to not get it dirty

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Yeah, I don't touch my monitor. I keep a microfiber cloth to wipe the dust off, and if anyone does touch the monitor I chop off one finger [theirs, not mine]. They usually don't touch it again. :wink:

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
make sure your room is dark and shine torch on it. then view it from an angle and any imperfections will show up. it is best to do it in the dark as it is harder to see things in a sunlit room.

I tried this out briefly on the area where i stupidly pressed on it and i couldnt see anything out of the ordinary, but what do you mean by imperfections? (what sort)? I just wanna be able to determine its okay without having to wait a whole to find out!

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
You won't know if you damaged it or not until you turn it on, but you're worrying about it for nothing. What are you going to do if you did damage it? If you don't see any scratches then stop worrying.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Oh..right. There are loads of fingerprints, smudges (no scratches) but that doesnt neccesserily mean damage right? Infact if i switch it on without a computer i get a small graphics logo that moves around the screen. Wouldnt that show up any damage (dead pixels etc.) as its blue in color? Oh and Pain your right i do worry to much but this monitor was too dam expensive for me to ignore it :)

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Oh..right. There are loads of fingerprints, smudges (no scratches) but that doesnt neccesserily mean damage right? Infact if i switch it on without a computer i get a small graphics logo that moves around the screen. Wouldnt that show up any damage (dead pixels etc.) as its blue in color? Oh and Pain your right i do worry to much but this monitor was too dam expensive for me to ignore it :)

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
My advice to you is to find out who is touching your monitor and pummel them , I mean seriously, who touches their screen?

If it was a kid... you break their finger... problem solved!

What is the benefit or reasoning for actually making contact with the screen? the computer takes its instructions from the keyboard & mouse NOT THE SCREEN! This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the women that live in my house, always trying to touchie touchie! NO TOUCHIE!!

:twisted:

weilin

Distinguished
Damage... no.. Annoyance... Yes, Water (because there r ions in it will cause streaks)just use 70% alcohol or if u got it 90% alcohol (if ur lucky the next person to touch it will get burned :wink: ...). As for those ppl who have annoying ppl who wants to touch hte screen.. go into the kitchen and find the clear plastic wrap used to cover food and cover hte front of hte LCD.. Tape the edges shut and pratically no dust will rest on the surface of your monitor and u can wash that plastic wrap in any way u please (or replace it). just stretch it tightly over hte monitor and it shouldnt bother you "that much." BE WARNED: do not use the wrap to cover up the vent holes in the back of hte monitor.. that would be bad.. very bad...

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the women that live in my house, always trying to touchie touchie! NO TOUCHIE!!

umm... we are talking monitors here right? :oops:

If I'm not mistaken, yes. I learned a hard lesson from my iPod Nano screen; those things scratch so easily. At least they can be fixed using Brasso.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the women that live in my house, always trying to touchie touchie! NO TOUCHIE!!

umm... we are talking monitors here right? :oops:

My bad I did stray away from the question a bit , I just wanted to note stupid people will always touch your screen... I clean my CRT's and LCD's and even my Plasma with "Fellowes" brand screen cleaning wipes they come in blister packs or tubes and dry vs. moist. go to http://www.fellowes.com/Fellowes/site/products/ProductDetails.aspx?Id=99700 they are even anti-static!!

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Anything to polish up a classic! Its great and yeah those crates are huge now it seems, played alot of dust2 last night though.

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I accidently scraped the plastic part of this screen cleaner device that i was using to clean my monitor! I can seem to find any scratches but its hard to tell with all the dam streak marks left over from the cleaning solution! Ive been cleaning over and over to attempt to get rid of the annoying wipe marks but they just will not fade. Do you guys know a way of getting rid of streaks? I really thought this wouldnt happen with a cleaner meant for just LCD monitors! Also when i scraped the plastic on my screen it was very lightly done so do you think it caused damage?

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
scraped... what are you using.

Its an LCD cleaning kit (spray, cloth thing). Its an anti static cloth with a kind of big plastic handle which is annoyingly close to the end of the cloth part. Anyway i was just wiping down the monitor when i tilted the thing up too much and part of the handle scraped all the way down the screen! (lightly though) But yeah your method of cleaning sounds much better cause i was just basically going up, down, left, right with the cleaner which obviously left me with loads of streaks, which also makes it difficult to look for scratches... I must have cleaned the monitor 10 times by now!

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Alright sounds good, thanks for the advice. Ill probly clean it next week or sumtin cause like i said ive already cleaned it like 10 times over :)

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
The LCD's aren't that fragile really, short of rubbing on them with something abrasive or tapping/hitting them with something hard and sharp. I work with them all the time in the touch screen kiosk world (think millions of touches). In the lab I just use one of those microfiber cloths for fingerprints. Sometimes you have to get them a barely damp for grease and food residue.

As for dead pixels, that's a different thing and not really damage. They'll show up very soon in the life of the display or never from what I've heard. They won't usually replace a display unless it has more than 6 or 8 deads, and sometimes they have to be clumped together and thus affecting viewing more dramatically.

G

I use a 70% isopropyply alcohol mixture with an equal amount of water. 50/50. Do Not use a paper towel but a clean soft cloth.

Isopropanole dissolves plastic.... You just don't realise it because you don't wipe extensively. Just try it on a piece of plastic; you'll see. As for camera lenses that is ok because they are glass.

For my LCd I'd use a damp cloth. You can eve use a little (a real tiny drop is enough) soap. But I would strongly vote agains any form of solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.