Sign in with
Your question

Adding cheaper memory to a 2-2-2-5 setup.

Last response: in Memory
April 13, 2006 2:38:35 PM

I currently have 2x512meg Dual Channel DDR 400 RAM. I bought very expensive RAM when I purchased my system, Coirsair XMS 2-2-2-5 Dual Channel RAM.

I have an A8N SLI Premium motherboard.

I may want to upgrade to 2 gigs total RAM to run Oblivion that much better. But I'm not sure I can afford any RAM, and I -know- I can't afford the XMS. If I put in two more 512 sticks, but with higher timings, will that hinder rather than help? Will it negate the performance boost from the faster RAM? Will the world collapse in a heap of hell-fire and blood? Or am I just worrying too much? :p 
April 13, 2006 3:13:58 PM

So are you saying that you already have 2 gigs of Corsair XMS ram? What are your other system specs? If you are having troubles playing Oblivion i dont think that getting more ram will help that much, you probably have a bottleneck somewhere else. If you list the rest of your specs im sure someone can come up with something to get Oblivion running well.

If you buy cheap ram to add to your kickass 2 gig kit, you will be forced to loosen the timings on the XMS and probably loose a bit of theoretical performance, whether or not you will see the drop is another story.
April 13, 2006 3:21:13 PM

Holy molly I messed up... I have 2x512 for a total of 1 gig... LMAO, sorry. I'm looking at adding two more 512 sims, for a total of 2 gigs...

Math was never my greatest subject, lol. I'll edit my first post to reflect the correct stats.
Related resources
April 13, 2006 3:25:50 PM

BTW: My system specs are as follows:

Athlon XP 64 3700+
A8N SLI Deluxe
1 gig 2-2-2-5 RAM (2x512)
6600 GT 128meg video card (This is being replaced w/ an ATI 1900 XTX)
230GB RAID 0 Setup (This is bing replaced w/ a single RAPTOR 150)
April 13, 2006 3:58:36 PM

A chain is only a strong as its weakest link. You will have to adjust the timings and run a few passes of memtest to find the best overall settings. Especially if you're doing any kind of overclocking. However, even with the relaxed timings you proabably will not notice a huge performance decrease compared to the performance increase of adding an extra GB of RAM. Just make sure to at least get the same size and speed of RAM as your existing stuff.

Also take note that you may or may not have to manually set your DDR speed to 400 MHZ. A lot of boards will default RAM to 333 when you fill all the RAM slots. Check your board's manual.
April 13, 2006 4:01:13 PM

Your spec is great- the new GFX card that your gonna get will improve preformance more obviously than the ram upgrade- its quite a jump from a 6600 to an X1900 but concerning the ram, doubling your mem will probably improve preformance even with slightly relaxed timings- although it does depend on just how relaxed you are talking...

Im sure some git will come along shortly and try and pimp your rig with overbearing advice (just like another gits gonna tell me to get a new kb lol)- ignore it/him your on the right track.
a b } Memory
April 13, 2006 4:23:53 PM

I usually use corsair value select, ( 2 512 ) sticks, about $69 on average. Last week I picked up another gig to put in this "net" machine, which already had 2/512 sticks of ballistix 2.0 latency. Although the corsair is 2.5, the machine noticably became a little "snappier". Worth the little bit of money. You new video card is gonna make a signifigant improvement by itself.
April 14, 2006 1:37:18 AM

Quote:
I currently have 2x512meg Dual Channel DDR 400 RAM. I bought very expensive RAM when I purchased my system, Coirsair XMS 2-2-2-5 Dual Channel RAM.

I may want to upgrade to 2 gigs total RAM to run Oblivion that much better. But I'm not sure I can afford any RAM, and I -know- I can't afford the XMS. If I put in two more 512 sticks, but with higher timings, will that hinder rather than help? Will it negate the performance boost from the faster RAM? Will the world collapse in a heap of hell-fire and blood? Or am I just worrying too much? :p 

I'm sort of in the same boat you are in. I've got 2x512 crucial ballistix 2-2-2-6 timings. I've got 2 slots for additional ram, and want to put 2 gigs in those slots (2x1MB : My board takes up to 4 gigs), for a total of 3 gigs of ram. I'm having trouble finding DDR 400 ram with similar timings. I was dissappointed to find out crucial doesn't make 1MB dimms with 2-2-2-6 timings.

I only bought 1 GB on my new system to save on the initial cost. I do plan on OCing my system later this year but wanted to break it in very well before doing so. So I bought ram with good timings.

I don't really need the extra speed yet. But I would like the ram.

Any suggestions on 2x1MB ram with equal to or better timings than 2-2-2-6 would be greatly appreciated.

My system: Asus A8N-E, AMD 3800 X2, Crucial Ballistix 512x2, Cooler Master 550W PS, Thermaltake Tsunami Case, Geforce 6500 (a cheap ass card to temporarily tide me over til DX10 and Vista came out, that was when Vista was supposed to be less than 6 months away, prolly getting a 7600GT soon)
April 26, 2006 4:01:57 PM

Quote:

I'm sort of in the same boat you are in. I've got 2x512 crucial ballistix 2-2-2-6 timings. I've got 2 slots for additional ram, and want to put 2 gigs in those slots (2x1MB : My board takes up to 4 gigs), for a total of 3 gigs of ram. I'm having trouble finding DDR 400 ram with similar timings. I was dissappointed to find out crucial doesn't make 1MB dimms with 2-2-2-6 timings.

I only bought 1 GB on my new system to save on the initial cost. I do plan on OCing my system later this year but wanted to break it in very well before doing so. So I bought ram with good timings.

I don't really need the extra speed yet. But I would like the ram.

Any suggestions on 2x1MB ram with equal to or better timings than 2-2-2-6 would be greatly appreciated.

My system: Asus A8N-E, AMD 3800 X2, Crucial Ballistix 512x2, Cooler Master 550W PS, Thermaltake Tsunami Case, Geforce 6500 (a cheap ass card to temporarily tide me over til DX10 and Vista came out, that was when Vista was supposed to be less than 6 months away, prolly getting a 7600GT soon)

Me too. I have 2-2-2-5 memory 512X2. I best I found for 2GB(1GBX2) was 2-3-2-5, which is almost the same. I heard that 3GB in 32-bit Windows can be a problem to setup though. Does anyone know the performance difference between 2-2-2-5 and 2-3-2-5 memory timings?
April 26, 2006 10:54:32 PM

You can mix almost all rams but mixing slow ones to fast ones will have a bad effect. Ever heard the saying " A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" well that goes about the same with rams of different frequencies and timings. I have tried it before and I porpusely mixed my good fast rams with my old slower rams and in doing so it negatively impact on the faster rams. The motherboard will automatically set the speeds and timings or settings for the rams to that of the slower ones. You can manually change the timings, but it is no that stable as to increase the speed of the slower rams to match of those of the faster ones.

But as in your case a 2Gb ram is better than 1Gb ram regardless of it's speed. Like when I test out my good ones on BF2 and only uses 1Gb and the result I got choppy frames as it is not enough to run BF2 at high settings with only 1Gb of ram, not even the fast ones. As for my older and slower 2x1Gb ram it handle the game really good. So in your case, it is okay to mix rams to make 2Gb of total ramage to play them ram hungry game like Oblivion at high settings. But keep in mind that the slower rams will limit that of the faster ones and should you buy the same faster ram given time and money to run it's potential.
April 26, 2006 10:59:42 PM

Quote:
A chain is only a strong as its weakest link.

Quote:
Ever heard the saying " A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link"

:?: :?: Nobody listens to me :( 
April 26, 2006 11:32:29 PM

XP shouldn't have a problem with 3 gigs (I've never done it though). Now 4 gigs, you'd probably run into issues there, a lot of people have...
April 26, 2006 11:55:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I listened, I just didn't reply :p 
April 29, 2006 3:18:14 PM

i tried this with DDR2.

upgrading from 2 x 512 Patriot low-latency, to 2 x 1 GB corsair value select. similar situation, didn't want to spend the money on 2 or 4 GB of low-latency memory.

they would not get along. tried setting the timings slow, to match the Corsair, tried letting SPD sort it out, they just wouldn't get along.
April 29, 2006 6:06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry Anoobis, I just read the dude's question and answered it from there without scrolling down and read the replies first. Hope I didn't offend you there buddy.
April 29, 2006 7:44:51 PM

You could also sell your XMS 1GB Kit and buy a new non-high-end-brand (although I wouldnt call Corsair high-end but thats another story) 2GB Kit.
!