UPDATE: Wrong Processor Shipped, Will it Matter?

sophie3

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
So many of you responded to my initial thread at

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Wrong-processor-shipped-matter-end-ftopict181196.html

that I want to provide an update.

The system with the switched processor is going back to Dell at their cost. I did not order a replacement because after reading all the posts (several by graphic designers - thanks!) and talking to my brother, I decided that I need to reconsider the specs. For example, I may need a slightly better video card and larger hard drive than I originally thought. I discovered last night that the Pentium D 9xx processor has suddenly appeared as an option on the Precision - it wasn't last week when I placed my order.

As a small business, we've had good experiences with Dell until this particular puchase. I've looked at some of the systems folks suggested (e.g. Falcon Northwest) but the prices are so much higher for comparable specs and just aren't affordable at this time. And others (e.g. Gateway) don't offer all the options we need. Building it myself or having someone do it for me aren't options here.

At this moment, I'm looking at:

* Pentium D 930, 3.0GHz/800MHz/2x2BM L2 Cache, dual-core (as opposed to the P D 820, 2.80GHz/800MHz/2x1MB L2 cache, Dual-core I ordered)

* 2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC (2 DIMMS) (brother is trying to convince me to go higher?!)

* C5 All SATA drives, RAID 1 - 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s w/NCQ and 8MB DataBurst Cache for RAID for Boot and 2nd hard drives.

* Not sure about CD/DVD - just need to be able to read/write CDs

* 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX3450, Dual DVI or Dual VGA or DVI + VGA graphics card (as opposed to 128MB PCIe x16 ATI FireGL V3100, Dual Monitor VGA or DVI/VGA CapableDual I ordered)

So that's where I am. I still need to get a system asap, but am going to take a day or two to look at my choices again.

Thanks for all your responses!

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
That's good to hear and I think you made the right decision. Going with the 930 in my opinion is the better move. The choices you've made are good ones and will work fine for your needs.

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If you are getting the Dell then stay with the 2GB

2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC (2 DIMMS) (brother is trying to convince me to go higher?!)

However, since you are at TGf you should be able to drop in better 2GB for less then what dell would charge you. I would get the DVD-RW/CD-RW because you never know when a client will need larger then 800MB on a disk and just say can I just get a DVD. You need to plan for the future having all that CPU power then getting a CD-RW is kind of weird. Most Windows OS are moving to DVD.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I tend to be an ATi person because I have had good experience with them. The Quadro and FireGL series are both good, its just a matter of personal preference really. But that aside, I believe you made a good decision on upgrading. You said your brother is telling you to upgrade the RAM, not a bad idea but is it cost effective? As Panzerzero stated, you could drop in more RAM for less, but that will almost certainly void your warranty, that and you could have compatablility issues. I recommend either staying with two gigabytes, or upgrading through Dell.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I tend to be an ATi person because I have had good experience with them. The Quadro and FireGL series are both good, its just a matter of personal preference really. But that asaide, I believe you made a good decision on upgrading. You said your brother is telling you to upgrade the RAM, not a bad idea but is it cost effective? As Panzerzero stated, you could drop in more RAM for less, but that will almost certainly void your warranty, that and you could have compatablility issues. I recommend either staying with two gigabytes, or upgrading through Dell.

ATI is a sin.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I tend to be an ATi person because I have had good experience with them. The Quadro and FireGL series are both good, its just a matter of personal preference really. But that asaide, I believe you made a good decision on upgrading. You said your brother is telling you to upgrade the RAM, not a bad idea but is it cost effective? As Panzerzero stated, you could drop in more RAM for less, but that will almost certainly void your warranty, that and you could have compatablility issues. I recommend either staying with two gigabytes, or upgrading through Dell.

ATI is a sin. 8O :evil: How dare you insult my ATi! Joking, I don't care what people like but will try my best to help them on there terms.

pat

Expert
In your case, I would probably look at a small reputable shop near your area. They may have a bit higher price, but in order to survive, they have to offer service. Maybe you can have something nice, at good price and with fast service.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

ATI is a sin. 8O :evil: How dare you insult my ATi! Joking, I don't care what people like but will try my best to help them on there terms.

Dareing is also a sin.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
VERY NICE, i dont think u will need more RAm maybe faster RAM, 800Mhz RAM

everythign else looks fine, still getting it for that price?

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

ATI is a sin.

LOL .. I agree with you there man

sophie3

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
specs and just aren't affordable at this time. And others (e.g. Gateway) don't offer all the options we need. Building it myself or having someone do it for me aren't options here.

Okay, I was wrong about not having it built :oops:

I happened to find a local company that builds custom systems and just spent some time on the phone with the sales rep, who works with similar graphics programs, and does gaming as well. His recommendations were in line with what I'm considering, but he was actually able to explain specifics, unlike the sales rep I'm dealing with at Dell ;)

We talked through all the components, and the ballpark price seemed to be about the same as Dell. He mentioned that they use an Intel board vs. Dell, who changes their boards so that you're forced to buy their parts at higher prices?

Being a small business myself, I'm partial to supporting one. Do you think it's better to buy a computer locally rather than from a big-box retailer like Dell?

pat

Expert
Being a small business myself, I'm partial to supporting one. Do you think it's better to buy a computer locally rather than from a big-box retailer like Dell?

Yes, support the local shop. If a problem arise, then using no custom parts may have your computer fixed in the next hours or so, instead of day for Dell.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Is that quadro a free upgrade from dell? I hope so. If you're not doing any 3d work or very limited 3d work, there's no need for it. Save yourself some money and even pick up a 7600gt or some ATI equivalent. There's no difference in performance between a 256mb card and even a 64mb in 2d. Other than some added features like dualhead, etc. But even then you don't need a quadro for those features.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I agree w/ others, buy local.

the service you get will be head and shoulders above anything Dell can do. I personally will pay a bit more if I can get better service, so if you are getting around the same price as Dell but going w/ local then you will be better served to do that.

and yes, using standardized parts is easier/cheaper/faster to fix/upgrade. Dell mobo's and power supplies look standard, but are not. (ie: a Dell mobo cannot use a standard atx power supply)

good luck w/ it all man.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
specs and just aren't affordable at this time. And others (e.g. Gateway) don't offer all the options we need. Building it myself or having someone do it for me aren't options here.

Okay, I was wrong about not having it built :oops:

I happened to find a local company that builds custom systems and just spent some time on the phone with the sales rep, who works with similar graphics programs, and does gaming as well. His recommendations were in line with what I'm considering, but he was actually able to explain specifics, unlike the sales rep I'm dealing with at Dell ;)

We talked through all the components, and the ballpark price seemed to be about the same as Dell. He mentioned that they use an Intel board vs. Dell, who changes their boards so that you're forced to buy their parts at higher prices?

Being a small business myself, I'm partial to supporting one. Do you think it's better to buy a computer locally rather than from a big-box retailer like Dell? If you have the option to buy local and it is pricefully feasible, then you should most definitely buy local. The reason you should is because in order for a small business to survive, they must provide great service. That and you can talk in person, that always helps.