What is using the memory in my iPaq 2200?

a b } Memory
October 20, 2004 2:02:50 PM

I expected that this would be a FAQ but after quite a bit of searching
I cannot find the answer.

My iPaq is filling up even though I store as much as possible on a
128Mb SD card.

The only program installed into normal memory is the F-Secure program.
I have not managed to figure out how to put it on the SD card.

As much data as possible goes on the SD card. The File Explorer does
not show any big things in main memory. The data used by F-Secure
also appears to have to be in main storage but that is a single small
file.

Yet Settings | Memory shows that 42Mb is allocated for Storage. This
leaves little room for programs.

The obvious candidates are Contacts and Calendar but it is hard to
believe that they are using that much storage. Up to a year ago I was
using a Psion 5mx and these were only a few Mb. It is hard to imagine
that they have grown that much in a year. (But Pocket PC may store
them much less efficiently.)

How can I find out their size and anything else that is part of that
42Mb?

Seán O'Leathlóbhair

More about : memory ipaq 2200

Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 20, 2004 10:17:37 PM

jwlawler@yahoo.com (Sean O'Leathlobhair) wrote in
news:D 1835a57.0410200902.605d0ab0@posting.google.com:

> I expected that this would be a FAQ but after quite a bit of searching
> I cannot find the answer.
>
> My iPaq is filling up even though I store as much as possible on a
> 128Mb SD card.
>
> The only program installed into normal memory is the F-Secure program.
> I have not managed to figure out how to put it on the SD card.
>
> As much data as possible goes on the SD card. The File Explorer does
> not show any big things in main memory. The data used by F-Secure
> also appears to have to be in main storage but that is a single small
> file.
>
> Yet Settings | Memory shows that 42Mb is allocated for Storage. This
> leaves little room for programs.
>
> The obvious candidates are Contacts and Calendar but it is hard to
> believe that they are using that much storage. Up to a year ago I was
> using a Psion 5mx and these were only a few Mb. It is hard to imagine
> that they have grown that much in a year. (But Pocket PC may store
> them much less efficiently.)
>
> How can I find out their size and anything else that is part of that
> 42Mb?
>
> Seán O'Leathlóbhair

allocated for or occupied by?

The iPaq divides the memory available according to what the OS thinks
best between program and datamemory. If you have little programs
installed, it reserves a larger portion for data. But if you install
extra programs into base memory, part of the allocated space for data is
moved to programs.
And "allocated" does NOT mean "occupied".
If you are curious about what amount of memory is actually used, try a
piece of software like membattime, that gives you a clear reading on how
memory is divided and how much still is free. And it doesn't take up much
of your valuable memory-space.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 21, 2004 4:55:51 AM

SoftSpot <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9588CE6DEEAD1softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.0.34>...
> jwlawler@yahoo.com (Sean O'Leathlobhair) wrote in
> news:D 1835a57.0410200902.605d0ab0@posting.google.com:

Thanks.

> > I expected that this would be a FAQ but after quite a bit of searching
> > I cannot find the answer.
> >
> > My iPaq is filling up even though I store as much as possible on a
> > 128Mb SD card.
> >
> > The only program installed into normal memory is the F-Secure program.
> > I have not managed to figure out how to put it on the SD card.
> >
> > As much data as possible goes on the SD card. The File Explorer does
> > not show any big things in main memory. The data used by F-Secure
> > also appears to have to be in main storage but that is a single small
> > file.
> >
> > Yet Settings | Memory shows that 42Mb is allocated for Storage. This
> > leaves little room for programs.
> >
> > The obvious candidates are Contacts and Calendar but it is hard to
> > believe that they are using that much storage. Up to a year ago I was
> > using a Psion 5mx and these were only a few Mb. It is hard to imagine
> > that they have grown that much in a year. (But Pocket PC may store
> > them much less efficiently.)
> >
> > How can I find out their size and anything else that is part of that
> > 42Mb?
> >
> > Seán O'Leathlóbhair
> >

> allocated for or occupied by?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant to say 42Mb occupied. I
was down to about 1Mb free each side of the divider. I was often
getting told to stop programs.

> The iPaq divides the memory available according to what the OS thinks
> best between program and datamemory. If you have little programs
> installed, it reserves a larger portion for data. But if you install
> extra programs into base memory, part of the allocated space for data is
> moved to programs.
> And "allocated" does NOT mean "occupied".

Yes, I wrote the wrong word by mistake.

> If you are curious about what amount of memory is actually used, try a
> piece of software like membattime, that gives you a clear reading on how
> memory is divided and how much still is free. And it doesn't take up much
> of your valuable memory-space.

I did find the explanation, see following replies. But I will look at
that tool, it would be nice to be able to check using the device
itself.

> --
> SoftSpot
> softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
> "Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
> (Cornelis Vreeswijk)
>
> (just remove the spamstatement
> and one underscore
> to respond personally,
> but please keep it friendly,
> I'm only human too)

Seán O'Leathlóbhair
a b } Memory
October 21, 2004 11:29:14 AM

Do you use Pocket Internet Explorer? It may be using all this space for
cache. In my h4150 I sometimes find it uses up to 20MB. Check this article:

"Sean O'Leathlobhair" <jwlawler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 1835a57.0410200902.605d0ab0@posting.google.com...
>I expected that this would be a FAQ but after quite a bit of searching
> I cannot find the answer.
>
> My iPaq is filling up even though I store as much as possible on a
> 128Mb SD card.
>
> The only program installed into normal memory is the F-Secure program.
> I have not managed to figure out how to put it on the SD card.
>
> As much data as possible goes on the SD card. The File Explorer does
> not show any big things in main memory. The data used by F-Secure
> also appears to have to be in main storage but that is a single small
> file.
>
> Yet Settings | Memory shows that 42Mb is allocated for Storage. This
> leaves little room for programs.
>
> The obvious candidates are Contacts and Calendar but it is hard to
> believe that they are using that much storage. Up to a year ago I was
> using a Psion 5mx and these were only a few Mb. It is hard to imagine
> that they have grown that much in a year. (But Pocket PC may store
> them much less efficiently.)
>
> How can I find out their size and anything else that is part of that
> 42Mb?
>
> Seán O'Leathlóbhair
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 21, 2004 11:29:15 AM

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:o N3dYJttEHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Do you use Pocket Internet Explorer? It may be using all this space for
> cache. In my h4150 I sometimes find it uses up to 20MB. Check this
> article: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2977

> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
> they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344
>

> "Sean O'Leathlobhair" <jwlawler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1835a57.0410200902.605d0ab0@posting.google.com...
>>I expected that this would be a FAQ but after quite a bit of searching
>> I cannot find the answer.
>>
>> My iPaq is filling up even though I store as much as possible on a
>> 128Mb SD card.
>>
>> The only program installed into normal memory is the F-Secure program.
>> I have not managed to figure out how to put it on the SD card.
>>
>> As much data as possible goes on the SD card. The File Explorer does
>> not show any big things in main memory. The data used by F-Secure
>> also appears to have to be in main storage but that is a single small
>> file.
>>
>> Yet Settings | Memory shows that 42Mb is allocated for Storage. This
>> leaves little room for programs.
>>
>> The obvious candidates are Contacts and Calendar but it is hard to
>> believe that they are using that much storage. Up to a year ago I was
>> using a Psion 5mx and these were only a few Mb. It is hard to imagine
>> that they have grown that much in a year. (But Pocket PC may store
>> them much less efficiently.)
>>
>> How can I find out their size and anything else that is part of that
>> 42Mb?
>>
>> Seán O'Leathlóbhair

Try using this program: -

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/whereismyramarm.sh...

It is an explorer-like program that shows exactly where your memory is being
used.

Glenn

---
a b } Memory
October 21, 2004 11:29:15 AM

Thanks.

When I got home, I had one more try to find what was using my storage.
I hooked the iPaq up to my PC and looked through it using Windows
Explorer. I thought that I had done this before but obviously not
carefully enough. I found the files that store the Contacts and the
Calendar data. Sadly I do not have too many friends, Contacts was big
but not that big. Similarly, my social life is not too busy, the
Calendar was not the culprit either.

One annoyance with using the Explorer is if you right click a folder
and select Properties, you do not get statistics on the number of
files and their total size. You have to go into the folder and look
at the individual file sizes. Even then, you do not get a total.

But eventually I found the culprit, as you guessed: Temporary internet
files. I then went into IE and deleted them. I got 35Mb back.
Despite the name "Temporary", it is not obvious that these are ever
automatically deleted. In Tools | Options | General there is a
setting for the number of days to save links. I dropped it from 30 to
7. But the next section on Temporary internet files just has a clear
button and not a retention period button.

I do browse the internet quite often with the iPaq. My mobile (cell)
phone has free minutes in the evenings and weekends so I can browse
the net when bored for nothing. I often read the groups in this way.

I had got close, one of my other suspects was e-mail but that was not
the problem. I use it a lot but don't keep the notes for long on the
iPaq. I failed to suspect IE.

Seán O'Leathlóbhair

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message news:<ON3dYJttEHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Do you use Pocket Internet Explorer? It may be using all this space for
> cache. In my h4150 I sometimes find it uses up to 20MB. Check this article:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2977

> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
> they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344
>

> "Sean O'Leathlobhair" <jwlawler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1835a57.0410200902.605d0ab0@posting.google.com...
> >I expected that this would be a FAQ but after quite a bit of searching
> > I cannot find the answer.
> >
> > My iPaq is filling up even though I store as much as possible on a
> > 128Mb SD card.
> >
> > The only program installed into normal memory is the F-Secure program.
> > I have not managed to figure out how to put it on the SD card.
> >
> > As much data as possible goes on the SD card. The File Explorer does
> > not show any big things in main memory. The data used by F-Secure
> > also appears to have to be in main storage but that is a single small
> > file.
> >
> > Yet Settings | Memory shows that 42Mb is allocated for Storage. This
> > leaves little room for programs.
> >
> > The obvious candidates are Contacts and Calendar but it is hard to
> > believe that they are using that much storage. Up to a year ago I was
> > using a Psion 5mx and these were only a few Mb. It is hard to imagine
> > that they have grown that much in a year. (But Pocket PC may store
> > them much less efficiently.)
> >
> > How can I find out their size and anything else that is part of that
> > 42Mb?
> >
> > Seán O'Leathlóbhair
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 21, 2004 5:58:06 PM

jwlawler@yahoo.com (Sean O'Leathlobhair) wrote in
news:D 1835a57.0410210006.6454cf8f@posting.google.com:

> I had got close, one of my other suspects was e-mail but that was not
> the problem. I use it a lot but don't keep the notes for long on the
> iPaq. I failed to suspect IE.

In that case: IE may not be the only one causing problems. Did you check
the folder "temp"? For Windows CE, just like all the other versions of
Windows I know (3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, you name it, it does
it) simply makes a mess of that folder, leaving useless files filling up
that folder beyond and without any reason.

So this hint applies to your desktop too, not only to your PPC. But there
it is a sub-folder of your windows-folder.

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
October 22, 2004 4:18:43 AM

"Glenn James" <glenn.james@tesco.net> wrote in message

> Try using this program: -
>
> http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/whereismyramarm.sh...
>
> It is an explorer-like program that shows exactly where your memory is
> being used.
>
> Glenn

Definately try WIMR out - it is an excellent programme.

My betting is on temp files and also .DLLs for the programmes you have
installed (which are moved into ram for the programme to be able to run -
even if the programme is installed on an SD card).

Rob
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 23, 2004 6:28:11 AM

"Glenn James" <glenn.james@tesco.net> wrote in message news:<5OAdd.617$I64.326@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>...
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o N3dYJttEHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Do you use Pocket Internet Explorer? It may be using all this space for
> > cache. In my h4150 I sometimes find it uses up to 20MB. Check this
> > article: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2977
> >
> > --
> > Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
> > Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> > Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> > Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon as
> > they're available: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344
> >

> > "Sean O'Leathlobhair" <jwlawler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 1835a57.0410200902.605d0ab0@posting.google.com...
> >>I expected that this would be a FAQ but after quite a bit of searching
> >> I cannot find the answer.
> >>
> >> My iPaq is filling up even though I store as much as possible on a
> >> 128Mb SD card.
> >>
> >> The only program installed into normal memory is the F-Secure program.
> >> I have not managed to figure out how to put it on the SD card.
> >>
> >> As much data as possible goes on the SD card. The File Explorer does
> >> not show any big things in main memory. The data used by F-Secure
> >> also appears to have to be in main storage but that is a single small
> >> file.
> >>
> >> Yet Settings | Memory shows that 42Mb is allocated for Storage. This
> >> leaves little room for programs.
> >>
> >> The obvious candidates are Contacts and Calendar but it is hard to
> >> believe that they are using that much storage. Up to a year ago I was
> >> using a Psion 5mx and these were only a few Mb. It is hard to imagine
> >> that they have grown that much in a year. (But Pocket PC may store
> >> them much less efficiently.)
> >>
> >> How can I find out their size and anything else that is part of that
> >> 42Mb?
> >>
> >> Seán O'Leathlóbhair
> >

> Try using this program: -
>
> http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/whereismyramarm.sh...
>
> It is an explorer-like program that shows exactly where your memory is being
> used.
>
> Glenn
>

> ---

Thanks, I did try that program and it is indeed very good.

Apart from the convenience of being on the device, it does the
addition for you that Windows Explorer on the PC does not. However,
it does not seem to show quite as much. Using Explorer on the PC, I
can find the files which hold the contacts and calendar. I cannot
find these in WIMR.

Seán O'Leathlóbhair
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 23, 2004 12:01:44 PM

The program at
p://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/whereismyramarm.shtml
has downloads for arm mips and sh3 processors.

Searching for specs for the 22xx I find the processor listed as - Intel®
400 MHz processor with XScale technology. Is this any of the above ?

cheers
Paul
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 23, 2004 12:01:45 PM

"Paul AU" <camrad@internode.on.net> wrote in news:ed31lKIuEHA.3932
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> The program at
> p://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/whereismyramarm.shtml
> has downloads for arm mips and sh3 processors.
>
> Searching for specs for the 22xx I find the processor listed as -
Intel®
> 400 MHz processor with XScale technology. Is this any of the above ?
>
> cheers
> Paul

all soft designed for ARM processors will work fine on your 22XX

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Tomorrow it may get better, but it will never be allright."
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 23, 2004 4:18:13 PM

The ARM version is what you're looking for.

"Paul AU" <camrad@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> The program at
> p://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/whereismyramarm.shtml
> has downloads for arm mips and sh3 processors.
>
> Searching for specs for the 22xx I find the processor listed as - Intel®
> 400 MHz processor with XScale technology. Is this any of the above ?
>
> cheers
> Paul

Anonymous
a b } Memory