SP2 -How long does an upgrade take?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I have a lot of machines to upgrade and would like to know other peoples'
experiences re: the time it takes to carry out - assuming that the PC is
otherwise *healthy* e.g. spyware, viruses removed, disk defragged & scanned,
registry OK etc.
Almost all machines are Celerons 2Ghz, 512 MB Ram and plenty of disk space.

TIA
Eric

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I'd say a good 15 minutes would do it. It depends on how much
re-configuration you want to do after the install (to adjust the new
settings available), but setting aside 15 minutes should be fine, in my
experience. If your machines are on a network, are you going to use the
network install for SP2 rather than doing the individual machines one at a
time?

"Eric" <ea@frg.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a lot of machines to upgrade and would like to know other peoples'
> experiences re: the time it takes to carry out - assuming that the PC is
> otherwise *healthy* e.g. spyware, viruses removed, disk defragged &
> scanned,
> registry OK etc.
> Almost all machines are Celerons 2Ghz, 512 MB Ram and plenty of disk
> space.
>
> TIA
> Eric

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

"Eric" <ea@frg.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a lot of machines to upgrade and would like to know other peoples'
> experiences re: the time it takes to carry out - assuming that the PC is
> otherwise *healthy* e.g. spyware, viruses removed, disk defragged &
> scanned,
> registry OK etc.
> Almost all machines are Celerons 2Ghz, 512 MB Ram and plenty of disk
> space.

Mine was done in less than an hour (I left the machine towards the end and
it was done when I came back). You need to have someone at the screen for
the beginning of the process, then you can leave it (it's easy to tell when
you get to that stage).

papa

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

I'd say, set aside an hour per machine for the download and install - that
is, IF you have a cable modem. For dial-up, order the free SP2 CD from
Microsoft.

"Eric" <ea@frg.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a lot of machines to upgrade and would like to know other peoples'
> experiences re: the time it takes to carry out - assuming that the PC is
> otherwise *healthy* e.g. spyware, viruses removed, disk defragged &
> scanned,
> registry OK etc.
> Almost all machines are Celerons 2Ghz, 512 MB Ram and plenty of disk
> space.
>
> TIA
> Eric

papa

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

After a recent experience with a new laptop, I must say that 1 hour could be
overly optimistic, even with broadband. For this laptop, the downloading and
installing of SP2 took over 2 hours to complete, on broadband, and that was
after I had installed all of the latest drivers and critical updates.