Sign in with
Your question

Laptop processors.

Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2006 4:58:34 PM

Im buyin a laptop and im having a hard time deciding whether or not to wait a while for newer processors to be used. Im lookin at an IBM with the core duo and was wandering if theres any chance they would start using the new amds or the conroe in it. Im not a computer expert but last time I built a computer, pci express and ddr2 came out like a week after i built mine. The one in it is the 2ghz core duo. Is it worth the wait for something soon to come??

More about : laptop processors

April 13, 2006 5:01:08 PM

If you want it, get it now.
April 13, 2006 5:03:00 PM

Well I dont need it for about a month so its not real important to get it now but would there a substantial increase in performance thats worth waiting for you think? All I will be doing is CAD programs.
Related resources
April 13, 2006 5:08:11 PM

Quote:
Well I dont need it for about a month so its not real important to get it now but would there a substantial increase in performance thats worth waiting for you think? All I will be doing is CAD programs.
CAD hmmm? Well go ahead and get it, if you keep waiting for the next big thing, you'll wait forever. You know what to look for in a PC for CAD?
April 13, 2006 5:24:58 PM

Well it has to be a laptop since im gonna be moving around a lot and I dont exactly know what to get in terms of hardware. I just look at recommended settings and asked a few people. Im leaning towards the IBM T60p with 2ghz core duo, 3gb of ram maybe 2, and ati 256mb firegl. I think its called the v5200. On my 2yr old desktop it runs well for small to large assemblies so im thinking this would work fine for what im doing. I play games from time to time but I dont want to get a comp for that.
April 13, 2006 5:48:59 PM

What's to wait for? Tons of RAM, a pretty uber CPU and a workstation GPU! Go ahead!
April 13, 2006 5:50:31 PM

Just remember that a 2.0 GHz Core Duo processor is NOT to be compared with a 2.0 GHz P4 (I guess that'd make it a Northwood) The newer processors (Core Single/Duo) are more efficient than the NetBurst P4s and perform at a higher level than their "speed" would sugguest.

I believe Tom's has a comprehensive CPU benchmark that shows where mobile processors fit into this picture.
April 13, 2006 6:10:09 PM

Yeah I was amazed at the increased performance over my p4 3.4ghz northwood. Cant believe that much has changed in this short of time. Im hoping to get a at least a good 4 yrs out of this thing and I was woried about not being able to take advantage of software that utilizes 64 bit cpu's but from what ive read a major change over wont happen for some time. I appreciate all the help guys.
April 13, 2006 6:31:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah I was amazed at the increased performance over my p4 3.4ghz northwood. Cant believe that much has changed in this short of time. Im hoping to get a at least a good 4 yrs out of this thing and I was woried about not being able to take advantage of software that utilizes 64 bit cpu's but from what ive read a major change over wont happen for some time. I appreciate all the help guys.
Well go ahead and get it. you said you don't game often? Well don't expect great performance out of the FireGL, they aren't squat for gaming. Anyway, that doesn't matter I suppose because you said it wasn't for gaming.
April 13, 2006 7:11:31 PM

hmmmm and as far as i know, intel's new architecture, aka conroe, will be based on core/core duo, then i think it will take a while until "conroe mobile" arrives... maybe years?

someone correct me if i'm wrong
April 13, 2006 7:20:17 PM

Quote:
hmmmm and as far as i know, intel's new architecture, aka conroe, will be based on core/core duo, then i think it will take a while until "conroe mobile" arrives... maybe years?

someone correct me if i'm wrong

It's a matter of ramping production I would dare say 1 quarter after desktop/workstation machines are out in quantity would we see mobile versions. But from what I have noticed Intel seems to want very high yields off a process before they move their mobile chips to that particular process.
April 13, 2006 7:25:30 PM

oh, but i meant about architecture... spoon was wondering if he waits for a conroe mobile or something... but conroe being based on core architecture, he would be waiting for the same processor after all. conroe will me in some kind based on core, right?
April 13, 2006 8:05:09 PM

I would worry a little about 64 bit support.
To stay in the game (CAD), for 4 years, you will need a system that can run Vista well. I dont see a 32 bit chip as the way to go.
April 14, 2006 9:13:49 AM

But are there any Turion systems which come with FireGL/Quadro yet?
April 14, 2006 2:28:40 PM

Well it depends on for how long do you want to use your laptop.
Core Duo is by far the best but as mentioned it lacks 64 bit. Now i honestly do not know when you will actually need that for your programs. I'd say in 2-3 years time. Until then a Duo will serve you well.
Another alternative is to wait untill Q3 when Intel will launch the Merom core. It will bring performance gains, but it will also be fully 64 bit cappable.
But again, if you're really into CAD, by 2 years time you'll probably need a better gfx card to keep in touch with the present so probably another system, making a Core Duo the best choice right now.
And also,you could try modding a card(like 6800 i think) to be CAD cappable. It's difficult(i recommend asking this in Anand Tech, there were a few there who succeded) but it's very worth while and saves you considerable amount of money,not to mention that you have a card that is also a much better gamer than most of the workstation gfx cards.

I would really not go for anything that starts with a 'T' and ends with 'urion' because they at the moment are a poor mans alternative and have weaker performance. If you're on a tight budget you could wait for the Turion X2 but again,that will be weaker than a Duo at the same clock and for this kind of apps, a good CPU is advised.
April 14, 2006 3:00:10 PM

Sounds like my video card would become outdated sooner than the processor for what im doing. Is it possible to trade out components in an IBM?

Well I guess this would be a good reason to buy another one after 2 to 3 years :)  Last comp that I got just over 4 years out of really started to suffer with even simple programs after about 3.
April 14, 2006 3:47:37 PM

Of course, I don't see why not. That voids the warranty though. But by that time,the warranty is expired anyway. :wink:
And a new computer will become obselete after 2-4 years unless you really use it only to surf the internet and write word documents. Usually gaming PCs and probably servers have the shortest lifetime of all.
April 14, 2006 6:05:11 PM

I have an HP laptop zv6000 series with the AMD 64 4000+ desktop processor in it right now, it sucks on battery life but I can play FEAR and FarCry on it with no problems :D  I bet it would be sufficient to run CADD also as it has a 256 meg ATi video that is overclockable with ATT tool.
April 14, 2006 6:10:23 PM

if u have a month to wait, wait a month maybe something new will come out who knows
April 14, 2006 8:06:31 PM

Quote:
oh, but i meant about architecture... spoon was wondering if he waits for a conroe mobile or something... but conroe being based on core architecture, he would be waiting for the same processor after all. conroe will me in some kind based on core, right?

One on the same.
April 14, 2006 9:55:43 PM

If he's using it for CAD then I'm guessing (unless CAD is his hobby???) it's for business/work, and when it comes to business or work you don't overclock, ever in case you lose everything. Especially not on a laptop.
April 14, 2006 10:01:04 PM

Quote:
If he's using it for CAD then I'm guessing (unless CAD is his hobby???) it's for business/work, and when it comes to business or work you don't overclock, ever in case you lose everything. Especially not on a laptop.

CAD on a laptop makes me shoot milk from my nose.
April 14, 2006 10:07:04 PM

Quote:

CAD on a laptop makes me shoot milk from my nose. I would have to agree CAD on a notebook isn't a great idea, but with his system he should run it fine.
April 14, 2006 10:21:48 PM

Quote:

CAD on a laptop makes me shoot milk from my nose. I would have to agree CAD on a notebook isn't a great idea, but with his system he should run it fine.

Word.
April 15, 2006 6:23:57 PM

reports say Merom will be released Q3/Q4 2006 and vista Q4 06/Q1 07, so if you want wait for the next big thing, that means 4-6 months at least.

early this year, i needed a new laptop and spent dec/jan checking out yonah/core duo. i settled on a toshiba protege m400 (2 GHz, 2GB DDR2 667, 100GB 7200RPM HDD) i didnt need a gpu, only cpu power on the go. i do cpu/disk intensive research work in different places and a fast laptop saves me from moving data around to "workstations" just to process.

my data batches run faster now - no offical benchmark but compared to my p4@3.8, 5 hour runs now finish in 3-4 hours. quick 2 hour runs now take about 1.5 hours. pretty good for a tablet pc that i use to for presentations and handwritten note taking.

i investigated lenovo/thinkpad, but when i wanted to buy in feb, the earliest they could ship was mar/apr. what i mean is see how quickly your chosen brand can get your notebook to you. also, when people say something is coming out in november, you might be waiting until jan/feb before it is in your hands. core duo was offically out the second week of january and toshiba was one of the first to have a model shipping, and i got mine the end of feb (6 weeks wait)

basically, you will see a significant performance improvement (30-80% ++) in cpu tasks compared to your northwood - whatever speed it is. merom is reported to be about 20% better than yonah, but thats about a year away. i love my notebook. my only wish is a 2.5" 500GB HDD......
April 16, 2006 9:25:26 PM

Quote:
Im buyin a laptop and im having a hard time deciding whether or not to wait a while for newer processors to be used. Im lookin at an IBM with the core duo and was wandering if theres any chance they would start using the new amds or the conroe in it. Im not a computer expert but last time I built a computer, pci express and ddr2 came out like a week after i built mine. The one in it is the 2ghz core duo. Is it worth the wait for something soon to come??

depend of the use.. My 1.6 Turion 90% of the time run at 800MHz.. and it is not slowing donw anything..

So, to me it was just about how many MHz more I was ready to waste.. since 800 seems enough 90% of the time ..

For CAD, I guess that better video and lot of RAM will matter more here than the CPU itself. But a nice dual core CPU should do good with modern CAD package
April 16, 2006 9:30:21 PM

Provided the CAD software is dual-core optimised
April 16, 2006 9:34:39 PM

Quote:
Provided the CAD software is dual-core optimised

Most modern application for CAD, modeling is optimized for dual or more CPU system so they will take advantage of dual core.
April 16, 2006 10:04:24 PM

What is a low cost cad program. for 2d and 3d cad
April 16, 2006 10:09:35 PM

Quote:
What is a low cost cad program. for 2d and 3d cad

I don't do CAD, but I think that there is some nice shareware out that could be downloaded and bought later if you like it or serve your needs..

A quick google search brought me some name, like Delta CAD for 40$ about..

Just search for shareware CAD
!