Do printer ribbons "dry out" with age?

I have a Star Micronics NX-1000 dot matrix 9-pin printer.

It uses a black nylon ribbon.

Does that type ribbon "dry out" with age? I'm speaking of a new
ribbon, in original container, sitting on the shelf.

Or is the "ink" a type of material that can't "dry out"?

They are sooooo much cheaper if you buy them 6 at a time, but I don't
do that much printing. It would be 5-6 years before I started using
the last ribbon from a 6 pack of ribbons.
Thank you........ Lee Carkenord

yes they dry out

<carkenord@juno.com> wrote in message

> I have a Star Micronics NX-1000 dot matrix 9-pin printer.
>
> It uses a black nylon ribbon.
>
> Does that type ribbon "dry out" with age? I'm speaking of a new
> ribbon, in original container, sitting on the shelf.
>
> Or is the "ink" a type of material that can't "dry out"?
>
> They are sooooo much cheaper if you buy them 6 at a time, but I don't
> do that much printing. It would be 5-6 years before I started using
> the last ribbon from a 6 pack of ribbons.
> Thank you........ Lee Carkenord

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:17:11 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
<avmaster@BBBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:

>yes they dry out
>

><carkenord@juno.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have a Star Micronics NX-1000 dot matrix 9-pin printer.
>>
>> It uses a black nylon ribbon.
>>
>> Does that type ribbon "dry out" with age? I'm speaking of a new
>> ribbon, in original container, sitting on the shelf.
>>
>> Or is the "ink" a type of material that can't "dry out"?
>>
>> They are sooooo much cheaper if you buy them 6 at a time, but I don't
>> do that much printing. It would be 5-6 years before I started using
>> the last ribbon from a 6 pack of ribbons.
>> Thank you........ Lee Carkenord

just like a woman
Want to Fix Something?

http://www.manuals4you.com

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On 27 Jan 2005 13:32:56 -0800, carkenord@juno.com wrote:

>I have a Star Micronics NX-1000 dot matrix 9-pin printer.
>
>It uses a black nylon ribbon.
>
>Does that type ribbon "dry out" with age? I'm speaking of a new
>ribbon, in original container, sitting on the shelf.

If they dry, open them and squirt a bit of WD40 to revitalize them.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:38:40 +0000, pete <pete@maildox.com> wrote:

>If they dry, open them and squirt a bit of WD40 to revitalize them.

Pete is correct. WD40 will revitalize ink ribbons not once but several
times. Let the ink cartridge set for a couple of days before you use
it, or you will get ink smearing.

BobS

Well, both of you guy's have just aged yourselves.... (old farts...)

When is the last time you changed a ribbon on a dot matrix printer? I'll be
3rd to endorse the WD40 trick but go light with it and as they said - let it
sit for awhile and be sure any excess WD40 has drained off or you'll have a
mess.

If the printer isn't used a lot, take the ribbon out and place it in a
Ziploc type bag and throw it in the fridge between uses. Allow to warm up
before use. A little vinegar and oil and yer good to go.....

Panduit used to sell ribbons that had permanent ink for making labels we
used on marking cables and at nearly $50 per ribbon back then, keeping it
the fridge to keep it from drying out meant saving some bucks.

Bob S.

"Frog Legs" <Frog@Junp.now> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:38:40 +0000, pete <pete@maildox.com> wrote:
>
> >If they dry, open them and squirt a bit of WD40 to revitalize them.
>
> Pete is correct. WD40 will revitalize ink ribbons not once but several
> times. Let the ink cartridge set for a couple of days before you use
> it, or you will get ink smearing.

I tried that but she was having none of it!

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:30:21 GMT, "BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote:

>Well, both of you guy's have just aged yourselves.... (old farts...)
>
>When is the last time you changed a ribbon on a dot matrix printer?

A couple of weeks ago.
I keep a wide carriage Epson for doing income tax returns spreadsheets.
I use it once a year. It's kept in my garage, on a shelf above the lawnmower.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:51:07 +0000 (UTC), "Ginchy"
<avmaster@BBBBBbtinternet.com> wrote:

>I tried that but she was having none of it!

It's to punish you for top posting.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:57:05 -0500, Yikes!ItsIke <Yikes!ItsIke@younameit.com>
wrote:

>Want to Fix Something?
>
>http://www.spam

BobS

ya know... some old farts just can't let go of the past.........;-)

But after thinking about my statement, I guess dot matrix printers still may
be used quite a bit yet. Airlines, ticket vendors, etc.

Bob S.

> >When is the last time you changed a ribbon on a dot matrix printer?
>
> A couple of weeks ago.
> I keep a wide carriage Epson for doing income tax returns spreadsheets.
> I use it once a year. It's kept in my garage, on a shelf above the
lawnmower.

And do not spray too much in. A gentle misting once or twice... if you
flood it, the ink will leak out of it, and will stain everything, and
the print will be all oily and smeared.

Art

Frog Legs wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:38:40 +0000, pete <pete@maildox.com> wrote:
>

>>If they dry, open them and squirt a bit of WD40 to revitalize them.
>

> Pete is correct. WD40 will revitalize ink ribbons not once but several
> times. Let the ink cartridge set for a couple of days before you use
> it, or you will get ink smearing.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:53:44 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers, "BobS"
<spam@eliminator.com> wrote:

>ya know... some old farts just can't let go of the past.........;-)

Yup ;-)

>But after thinking about my statement, I guess dot matrix printers still may
>be used quite a bit yet. Airlines, ticket vendors, etc.

Yup ;-)

I still see quite a lot in medium to large companies for payroll runs etc.
Some of the really highspeed DMPs, particularly lineprinters, are far more
economic than an equivilent speed laser printer.

Dave

--
xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.