Sign in with
Your question

What Ram, does brand matter?

Last response: in Memory
April 13, 2006 7:22:02 PM

I am looking to build a computer and I am scoping out what to get. I plan on building a AMD SLI rig with 2-4 gigs of ram. The MB that I have been looking at is the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

I am looking for 1g sticks of ram. I am new to the ram purchasing arena so I am not sure what to look for or what to avoid.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thx.

More about : ram brand matter

April 13, 2006 10:45:10 PM

Quote:
I am looking to build a computer and I am scoping out what to get. I plan on building a AMD SLI rig with 2-4 gigs of ram. The MB that I have been looking at is the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

I am looking for 1g sticks of ram. I am new to the ram purchasing arena so I am not sure what to look for or what to avoid.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thx.

ASUS Sux0rz, get a DFI LanParty or Abit mobo, grab 2 1GB sticks of PC3200 from Crucial Ballistix, Corsair XMS, or some OCZ Gold (Don't get a combination of the 3). Stick with 2GB of RAM, or else you'll run into errors with PAE in x86 windows ( You CAN run 4GB in x86, but it can be a B to work).

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 13, 2006 11:27:13 PM

I agree with MadModMike. 2Gb will be plenty and 4Gb I know from experience CAN be difficult to get to work. I've never had any luck with Asus, I would try a different MB and have heard good things about DFI as well.

I personally went with Patriot 2Gb kit of low latency RAM and haven't been let down yet.
Related resources
April 16, 2006 4:07:17 AM

Do you plan to overclock at all? If so, how much do you want to overclock?
April 16, 2006 5:56:40 AM

I wouldn't reccomend DFI unless you're ready to do a lot of reading at their site to make sure all of your components are on their compatability list. DFI boards are very picky. They are also, in fairness, the fastest and most stable boards I have ever had the pleasure of using (assuming you get hardware that is all on the DFI list).

I've had good luck with Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and ABIT. Any of those should suit most needs, as well as being a lot less picky than the DFI.

Of course, if you're willing to invest the time... DFI is certainly worth it.
April 16, 2006 6:24:22 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't reccomend DFI unless you're ready to do a lot of reading at their site to make sure all of your components are on their compatability list. DFI boards are very picky. They are also, in fairness, the fastest and most stable boards I have ever had the pleasure of using (assuming you get hardware that is all on the DFI list).

I've had good luck with Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and ABIT. Any of those should suit most needs, as well as being a lot less picky than the DFI.

I've used Budget RAM, w/ a budget PSU and a budget GPU in a DFI board, and it still performed insane, if there is any compatibility problems, it's likely some moron trying DDR2 RAM in an AMD board.

~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 16, 2006 2:18:18 PM

Quote:

I've used Budget RAM, w/ a budget PSU and a budget GPU in a DFI board, and it still performed insane, if there is any compatibility problems, it's likely some moron trying DDR2 RAM in an AMD board.

~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time

I'd have to back that up with Mike as well, all the PC's I have built ran fine as silk with DFI motherboards.
April 18, 2006 10:38:53 PM

Did you see that the ASUS website recommends Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO for the A8N 32 SLI Deluxe?

It's good to hear the comments about using less costly RAM (that it works!) as the recommended RAM is quite expensive.
April 20, 2006 5:12:03 PM

Thx all for the feed back. I'm looking at other MB the support full SLI.
Any suggestions?

I do plan on doing some OC, not sure how much. But just trying to get others knowledge. Trying to build a nice rig that will last me. Plan on doing this when vista comes out.

For OCing, is DDR ram over PC3200 worth it? ie PC4000.
April 20, 2006 5:53:04 PM

2x1Gb of ram should be aplenty for now. Well, if your into overclocking and performance then get some high quality ram like Corsair XMS or OCZ gold or platinum series. They are expensive however would benifit the performance of your pc and especially into overclocking. I using the XMS myself and able to overclock to 20% stable at air cooling.
April 21, 2006 11:12:40 PM

2x1gb is good. OCZ gold or corsair xms are good.
!