Building Budget Computer - Want Opinions

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Ok guys and gals, I'm thinking about building a new computer - something to tide me over until Conroe and the new AMD technologies come out this fall. My current desktop is almost 6 years old and I've been out of the PC building arena for a couple of years. I'm not looking to spend too much money and I've got a list of what I'm thinking about getting. Just looking for opinions on the different hardware - compatibility, prior experiences, etc. - basically anything useful you guys have to offer (and let's try to keep the fanboy opinions to a minimum). Ok here's the list and prices:

CPU: Athlon 64 3000+ - $114.80
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4-F - $83.99
Case: Antec Sonata II (450W SmartPower PS) - $101.00
Video: XFX XTreme Geforce 6800 XT - $139.99
Memory: 1GB Corsair TwinX PC3200 C2 - $87.00
HDD: WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA II - $91.50
DVD/CD: NEC 3550A Dual Layer - $36.99
Floppy: Generic - $10.00
Sound: Onboard (Don't really care that much)

This totals up to $665 with about $50-60 of mail-in rebates, which I didn't include above (so this would make it about $610 assuming I actually get the rebates). Basically what I'm trying to get out of this system is a decent gaming rig at a decent price. I can't even play modern games on my current PC (again 6 years old, no upgrades). Plus I'll get a great speed boost for office applications, CD/DVD burning, videos, music, etc. Just for reference my current system is a 900MHz T-bird (yeah that's old), started with a Geforce2 GTS replaced by a 16MB ATI Rage when it burned out (bad to worse) and 256MB of PC133 memory.

So any opinions, good experiences, bad experiences, incompatabilities, suggestions that you guys have would be appreciated. I've done some internet research but it always help to hear from actual users too. Thanks.

Milk the cow before you eat it

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Personally, don't wait for Conroe and if you want to build a system now just build it. AM2 isn't going to be worth the upgrade really. And Conroe isn't looking like its going to be as bad as it was before with the real world apps info coming out about it.

Otherwise it looks good if thats what you want to do. But AM2 will be out sooner than fall if you were wanting to wait for it. Shouldn't be more than another month or two.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Good setup. Will handle all your tasks with ease, except that video card is going to be a bottleneck sooner than later. Try to get at least a 7600 if not a 7900GT. Yeah its more money now, but it will last you much longer.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well, really I was waiting for Conroe to knock AMD prices down a little bit (and if it's as good as the hype, which I doubt, maybe get one). Pricing on AMD's just doesn't seem as good as it did a couple of years ago and everything seems on the verge of being obsolete with all the "next generation" technology around the corner. So I figured why not just go cheap for the time being. Plus as I'm sure you know, seeing my current system specs, about anything would seem lightning fast to me at this point, lol.

But as long as I don't find any major flaws in the compatiblity or functionality of the hardware I'm deciding on, I'll be ok. Not too worried about being cutting edge right now.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Good setup. Will handle all your tasks with ease, except that video card is going to be a bottleneck sooner than later. Try to get at least a 7600 if not a 7900GT. Yeah its more money now, but it will last you much longer.

I was thinking about 7600gt - cheapest one I could find was about $50 more than the 6800xt - do you think it's worth that much more in terms of performance and longevity?

I would love to get a 7900gt but it's way over what I want to spend right now - about $320 I think (yeah I know, I'm a cheapa$$).

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Well, really I was waiting for Conroe to knock AMD prices down a little bit (and if it's as good as the hype, which I doubt, maybe get one). Pricing on AMD's just doesn't seem as good as it did a couple of years ago and everything seems on the verge of being obsolete with all the "next generation" technology around the corner. So I figured why not just go cheap for the time being. Plus as I'm sure you know, seeing my current system specs, about anything would seem lightning fast to me at this point, lol.

But as long as I don't find any major flaws in the compatiblity or functionality of the hardware I'm deciding on, I'll be ok. Not too worried about being cutting edge right now.

Definetly just go with a small ugrade now.When conroe comes out or AM2 then build although i think conroe is gong to be quite excelent.But anyway your components that you picked out will do all that you want untill you upgrade.Get it before someone tries to change your mind and you end up spending more than you wanted to.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
step that graphics card to a 7600gt and other than that is should hold you over. but the new technoligies are coming out in months so why not wait a little longer buy o well

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
You might want to look into an Intel 775 route. The DDR2 memory you buy now will be able to transfer along with the rest of your hardware over to whichever AMD/Intel route you decide to go with down the road.

If you cannot swing the 7600GT, look at the 7600GS. It's a bit more than the 6800XT but it's essentially an underclocked, passively cooled, 7600GT. Rumor has it that it has the potential to be a great overclocker.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
You might want to look into an Intel 775 route. The DDR2 memory you buy now will be able to transfer along with the rest of your hardware over to whichever AMD/Intel route you decide to go with down the road.

If you cannot swing the 7600GT, look at the 7600GS. It's a bit more than the 6800XT but it's essentially an underclocked, passively cooled, 7600GT. Rumor has it that it has the potential to be a great overclocker.

I looked into Intel too; but it looked like the cheapest P4 worth a crap was a lot more expensive than the 3000+. As far as the DDR2 future compatability, I agree, but I'll probably just build a whole new $2,000 beast rig early next year, finally retire my current system, and use the one that I build now as a backup system.

7600GS might be a good idea though. I was thinking that was an AGP card because I think Nvidia uses GS on one of their newer chipsets to indicate AGP. Checked it out though and that's obviously not the case with this one. Man, the memory is way underclocked from the GT though. I may just go ahead and get the GT because I don't really feel like oc'ing this one - I just want to slap it together and go. Would probably have to get a new HSF for the card and end up costing almost as much as the GT anyway.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Also, do not doubt the strength of the X800GTO.

Ok, there's like a million different X800 versions - GTO, Pro, XT, GTO2, GT, no suffix...wtf. Obviously XT is the best, what's the difference in the rest of them and how do they compare (in the real world) to a 7600GS/GT? Just perusing the specs, they look about even with a GS and a bit lower than a GT. Just wondering.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Yes ATI and nVidia can be a little confusing. Pay more attention to the card specs and not the name. The X800GTO has a 256 Bit memory interface. Something almost non-existent in the sub-$100 range. IMO it's a better card than the 6800XT because of the 4 extra pipelines and faster clock speeds.

I only threw in the 7600GS because I thought you wanted to keep the cost down.

The 7600GT pwnz all the above cards. Faster core speed and insanely faster memory speeds.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Yes ATI and nVidia can be a little confusing. Pay more attention to the card specs and not the name. The X800GTO has a 256 Bit memory interface. Something almost non-existent in the sub-$100 range. IMO it's a better card than the 6800XT because of the 4 extra pipelines and faster clock speeds.

I only threw in the 7600GS because I thought you wanted to keep the cost down.

The 7600GT pwnz all the above cards. Faster core speed and insanely faster memory speeds.

Yeah, you're right. I always do that - add little things here and there that eventually jack the price up more than I want. The GS isn't much more expensive than the 6800xt and appears to be a bit better. So is there and difference between the 7600GS and x800GTO that the specs don't reveal?

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
looks good to me.

if you are waiting to build the best money can buy later than buy the expensive video card later too - video card design will enter a transition period just like the cpu.

unless you need to experience gaming with all the options on and at the highest resolution just get a card like the 6800 that will get the job done. Later when you get the next gen system, you can turn the 3000+ with the 6800 into a really nice HD compliant HTPC after adding a decent capture card. Is there a game that the 6800 cannot handle? In a year's time will there be game that it cannot handle? I doubt it.

I'm in the same boat as you. I recently purchased the following:
Pentium D 805 - I'm not pushing Intel here, the 805 just happens to be the cheapest dual core currently. I'll problably go AMD in a year or so.
asus P5LD2-VM
300gb sata2
sapphire xt1600pro 512mb
3gig ram

it plays all my games no problem.

If I was going single core, I would probably get the exact same system as you.

there's my two cents.

cheers all

smelly

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006

I thought that DDR2 will not last long. Isn't it going to meet the same fate as AMD's socket 754? AMD might switch to rambus. There was even mention of systems moving to DDR3.

...I wouldnt bother with getting parts with the intention of moving them over to a newer system in a year's time.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

I thought that DDR2 will not last long. Isn't it going to meet the same fate as AMD's socket 754? AMD might switch to rambus. There was even mention of systems moving to DDR3.

...I wouldnt bother with getting parts with the intention of moving them over to a newer system in a year's time.

The only way AMD moves to Rambus is if Hell were to freeze or the CEO was highly drunk at the board meeting. AMD has more sense looking at Intel and its diaster with Rambus then to ever consider such a move.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Honestly, check out Cleeve's Short List. It is a very informative guide for video cards.

It comes down to what games you play. You don't need a X1900XTX or 7900GTX to run Microsoft Office (yet). I've heard ATI cards usually have better picture quality and I know nVidia cards always favor OpenGL based (Quake) games.

If it were my money, I'd put it on the X800GTO. Even though it's memory is 100Mhz slower, the 256-bit interface gives it twice the bandwidth over the 7600GS's 128 bit. The 7600GS does support SM 3.0, but usually cards in the budget range only "support" it. Using it is a different story. The X800GTO may not be based on the latest and greatest tech like the 7600GS is, but I think it currently has more bang for your buck.

Since you don't plan on keeping this system for a very long time, why spend the extra money when the X800GTO will probably suit you good and will seem lightyears ahead of what you have now (no offense).

pat

Expert

The only way AMD moves to Rambus is if Hell were to freeze or the CEO was highly drunk at the board meeting. AMD has more sense looking at Intel and its diaster with Rambus then to ever consider such a move.

hell-freezes.jpg

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Thanks Anoobis, I'm leaning torward the X800GTO. My question now is this: I'm looking on Newegg and I can get a 512MB DDR2 card for $121 (after mail-in rebate) or I can get an OEM 256MB DDR3 card for $129. I'm guessing that the effective memory bandwith for the DDR2 card is 700MHz and it states that the DDR3 card's bandwith is 980MHz. How much of a difference will that bandwith make and will the extra memory compensate any?

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
One more question to all of you out there. My main concerns as far as compatability and functionality are the motherboard (obviously the backbone - don't want to have to replace it) and the case (air flow and temperature). Does anybody have any bad experiences or comments with my choices for these (Antec Sonata II and MSI K8N Neo-F). Just wondering.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I'm running the 7600GS and am very happy with it. The price has just dropped on newegg and the EVGA one has a $15 rebate. So you can get two 7600gs's for almost the same price as an overclocked 7600gt. The memory on the gs is GDDR2, not GDDR3, and that will be what limits the card, the core itself has overclocked similiar to the GT. XFX's card is overclocked 100 mhz and STILL does OK with the stock passive cooling. I am only running 1024X768, so you might what to keep that in mind.

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Looks like a good basic box. I've got a machine with that MSI MB in it. Failed to boot 31 DAYS after I got it,( Neweegs 30 day return :cry: ) Contacted MSI and RMA'd it through them and they took care of me 100%!Haven't had any other issues with it. Fast, stable, got an X64 3200 CPU and 1G of Kingston Value RAM in it w/6600 GT video. My two cents, dump the floppy for a card reader. Mitsumi has the FA-404 that handels all but XD. About $20.00 US. Floppy card reader