Multiple questions P4

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I've been around in the last months, asking question about my prescott.
Now I've started overclocking it and I asked for help to choose a good heatsink and I finally decided that I would make the jump to watercooling this summer. As a beginner I find the Bigwater kit really interesting.

I've opened my case recently and found out that my northbridge was hot! really hot and my ASUS probe says that my "mobo" is at 35C. Which is not true at all unless the sensor is not on the northbridge (always thought it was). Now I'm wondering if my CPU is also way over the temps I'm getting from Asus probe. Under Prime95 my CPU is around 55C (As I've said in another topic, my room temperature is below 20C). Stock cooler for now. No throttling at all... My CPU heatskink is not hot at all when I touch it...

here's my first question: Should I watercool the northbridge too? It is really hot. And with watercooling I would like to try to up the voltage a bit on my CPU (because it won't boot at 4.3).

second question: Should I beleive the temperature I'm seeing? ... I should get one of those temp readers with a small red lazer on them. :)

Thx for your help!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
second question: Should I beleive the temperature I'm seeing? ... I should get one of those temp readers with a small red lazer on them.

Just wanting to address the 2nd question.

The temps you see, should just be a guide line, they are not going to be exact.

I thought this was a good read on temps:

Legit Reviews - Core Temp Exams

Legit Bottom Line: The core temperatures that we "monitor" are inaccurate and are nothing more than a mathematical equation that varies due to the fact that board & I/O chip venders don't use the same equation!

TRENDING THREADS