Ram question (OCZ Gold 512MB PC5400 DDR2 )

ItzPo5t3dUpIII

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Alright im new to this forum and I just need some help here.
Uh im thinking about purchasing the OCZ Gold 512MB PC5400 DDR2 RAM.
But my friend said something about the PINS matter because it has something to do with the motherboard, so it can fit or something. This PIN is 240. I am buying new hardware for my computer but my friend is putting it in for me. Can yall please give me some input.

Thanks in advance,
A.J.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Well for newer PC's there are 2 standards, DDR (184pins i think) and DDR2 (240 pins). They are NOT interchangeable. As long as your motherboard supports DDR2, then the ram that you picked will fit fine, but if you get a DDR motherboard, then the ram that you chose will not fit.

What is the rest of your system?

ItzPo5t3dUpIII

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well right now im thinking about just using my other computers hardware and just install in my new one. Like im going to tigerdirect.com and buying RAM, a new case, and fans. I already have a new hard drive that im going to install in that new computer. but like I dont know what motherboard i have in my HP. Right now im just using a Compaq. I deleted windows 98 on this computer (compaq) and installed XP. But ya im gonna use my other hardware in my HP for my new one.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
1st off, have you looked at NCIX? Its another canadian online retailer that is often cheaper from what i have heard, than tigerdirect. Next, since the PC that you are using used to have win98 on it then i would highly doubt that it would support DDR2, i could be wrong, but i put my money on the fact that its a DDR board or even an SD board. Do you have the model number for the HP computer that you are taking the motherboard/CPU out of? What ram it uses could easily be found on the HP website by looking up that model number.

EDIT: If your friend is putting together your system for you, it should be easy enough to look at it and figure out what ram its got. Quiz him...if he dosnt have an answer then i would second guess letting him put it together for you.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=62743&lang=en&docname=bph07292

Memory Type SDRAM
Maximum Memory 512 MB HP recommended maximum

This is the type of ram that your motherboard supports, so no, you cant go with DDR2 memory. It also says that your board only has 2 ram slots, and only supports up to 512MB of ram, so you better make sure that you dont already have 2 sticks in there.

EDIT: After looking up your model number, this is what i found...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=62743&lang=en&docname=bph06803

its all the specs on your PC, so take a look at this and make a decision from there.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13847&vpn=KVR133X64C3/512&manufacture=Kingston

something like this should do you just fine, you can get 2 of them and scrap what you have in there right now, or hang onto it and put it in the compaq if it will take it. That type of ram is what you are looking for.

On another note, i wouldnt spend too much upgrading that old system, i would just save up and get something that would be more upgradeable but ultimately, the choice is up to you.

ItzPo5t3dUpIII

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Alright thanks man. I apprecaite your help. So I need to look for SDRAM?
I found that same RAM you gave me throught the link (Kingston 512MB PC133 SDRAM 133MHz Memory) at tigerdirect for like $25 cheaper. but its 133 Mhz isnt that not that great. Thanks for everythign mayne.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Well, 133mhz is not that great compared to what is out nowadays, but unfortunately, its the best you can put in your motherboard, so it will have to do.