EASY QUESTION REGUARDING VGA AND DVI

help me people, i have a problem. THe computer that i just ordered...or video card 7600gt comes with an adapter for dvi to vga. My monitor does not come with a dvi cable. My quiestion is will i notice a diffference if i use the adapter as opposed to buying a genuine dvi cable to connect the 2 of them???
15 answers Last reply
More about easy question reguarding
  1. Quote:
    help me people, i have a problem. THe computer that i just ordered...or video card 7600gt comes with an adapter for dvi to vga. My monitor does not come with a dvi cable. My quiestion is will i notice a diffference if i use the adapter as opposed to buying a genuine dvi cable to connect the 2 of them???

Does your monitor accept a dvi interface? It's strange having one with no cable, but to answer your question, you'll be just fine with the adapter.
  2. The quality is going to be a little lower using the VGA interface. When I switched from VGA to DVI on mine, everything got a little sharper and the response was a little better with it. I was using the VGA port on mine though, not the adapter, so I don't know if that will make a difference, but I doubt it.

Get a DVI cable, it'll look better.
  3. I have never noticed a difference..... Dell 20.1, pretty good monitor so far.
  4. well heres the deal, i am getting an lcd screen it has dvi & vga ports. It doesn't come with a dvi cord, just a vga cord. The graphics card comes with 2 dvi ports. The card also comes with a dvi to vga adapter. So yeah should i buy the cable for dvi or should i use the supplied cord of the monitor for vga and convert it using the dvi adapter from the graphics card? Yeah not sure if it would make a difference graphicly er not. Thx :D
  5. From what I have read, any monitor below 20" the vga cable with the adapter is fine and you will not notice a difference. I have read that with the larger ones you should use DVI, but I have used VGA on my 20.1 and still did not notice a difference. If I were you I would not worry about buying the DVI cable, but if you do, don't buy a cheap one, I have heard some horror stories about the crappy ones and picture being messed up.
  6. i would go for the DVI cable if u got the vid card and monitor that support it. with the analog interface the digital signal is converted to an analog one, then back to digital and can cause some discrepancy. maybe it doenst make a whole lot difference, but if you got the LCD anyway u may as well get the best quality u can get. plus with DVI the screen is always positioned right, there is no adjusting screen size
  7. well, with screen size adjustment, I had to adjust it when I first turned on my monitor.... but that may not be what you are taling about..... what do you mean?????
  8. when u use DVI, there is no adjusting the screen to get it to fit correctly, since the image is displayed exactly as it should be. when u have an LCD hooked through D-Sub, u can auto adjust the screen or manually adjust it to get it look right. not a big deal, but still
  9. I have a 19inch CRT with a X800GT vga.....so if I upgrade to a dual DVI vga, there's no loss in image quality, or at least no detectable loss?
  10. what do u mean dual DVI vga?
  11. I just meant if I bought a dual DVI videocard, would I suffer a loss of image quality when I connect to my vga moniter input?
  12. no, the vga interface is still adequate up to 1600x1200....
  13. Quote:
    no, the vga interface is still adequate up to 1600x1200....

Ok cool :D
  14. BUT will it still do the auto align and other stuff the same as a dvi cable...lol??
  15. Quote:
    BUT will it still do the auto align and other stuff the same as a dvi cable...lol??

No idea on that one.....it's quite likely that'll I'll have bought a new system anyway, but if by miracle Stalker/Prey and a few other decent games came out in the next 6 months, well I'd need a 1800GTO and that's dual DVI, so it would mean dongling my way to IQ glory.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DVI VGA Cable Graphics