vonage crashed??

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 2, 2004 12:43:22 PM

has vonage crashed? no dial-tone no matter what I do. Vonage.com is
unavailable. Vonage support numbers are all busy. Anyone else
experiencing problems?

More about : vonage crashed

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 7:39:17 PM

Aram wrote:
> has vonage crashed? no dial-tone no matter what I do. Vonage.com is
> unavailable. Vonage support numbers are all busy. Anyone else
> experiencing problems?

I can't confirm the dial-tone issue, but I do see that their network is
unreachable.

-- Ankur
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 7:39:18 PM

Ankur Shah <ankurshah@hotmail.com> writes:

> Aram wrote:
> > has vonage crashed? no dial-tone no matter what I do. Vonage.com is
> > unavailable. Vonage support numbers are all busy. Anyone else
> > experiencing problems?
>
> I can't confirm the dial-tone issue, but I do see that their network
> is unreachable.

I can bring up their website just fine, and I can use my phones
as well.

Note that they appear to block ICMP messages, so if you were trying
to use ping or traceroute to test for reachability, you would run
into problems.

-jav
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 12:21:28 AM

Javier Henderson wrote:

> Ankur Shah <ankurshah@hotmail.com> writes:
>

>>Aram wrote:
>>
>>>has vonage crashed? no dial-tone no matter what I do. Vonage.com is
>>>unavailable. Vonage support numbers are all busy. Anyone else
>>>experiencing problems?
>>
>>I can't confirm the dial-tone issue, but I do see that their network
>>is unreachable.
>

> I can bring up their website just fine, and I can use my phones
> as well.
>
> Note that they appear to block ICMP messages, so if you were trying
> to use ping or traceroute to test for reachability, you would run
> into problems.

I realized that they were blocking my ICMP requests. I also couldn't
access their web page then (~11:50 AM).

Vonage, BTW, has confirmed the outage in their user portal:

"Dear Vonage Customers:
Today at 10.45 AM EDT Global Crossing, one of Vonage's IP providers,
experienced a data routing issue which effected the Vonage network. We
apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and our
engineers are working diligently to ensure that this does not happen again.

The issue was isolated to Global Crossing's routing tables, which
prohibited Vonage data traffic from getting to its proper destination.
During the outage, many of the systems failed over to alternate routes,
enabling the Vonage network as a whole to send and receive calls,
however individual customers' success of making and receiving calls
remained sporadic depending on where a particular customer was located
on the Internet. The systems which were effected during the outage were:
voicemail, voicemail email notification,vonage web login and network
availability number. Network availability number did not work because
the inbound traffic from the phone network was being routed to the wrong
place by Global Crossing. The problem was resolved around 12.15 PM EDT
today and has remained stable since then.

Again, we apologize for any problem this may have caused you and we are
working closely with Global Crossing to ensure it does not happen again.
Thank you for your business; we look forward to continuing to serve you
in the future.
Sincerely,
Vonage Management"

Regards,