El_Cangri

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I don't know wich is better I have heard that the 7900GTX is faster but this is fuc**ng confusing. Wich is better SLI or Crossfire

linux_0

Splendid
I don't know wich is better I have heard that the 7900GTX is faster but this is fuc**ng confusing. Wich is better SLI or Crossfire

ATI usually performs better in D3D and is pretty much windoze only.

nVidia usually performs better in OpenGL and has better drivers in windoze, Linux, *BSD, etc.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/09/ati_and_nvidias_same_day_mega_launch_mayhem/

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/09/ati_and_nvidias_same_day_mega_launch_mayhem/page12.html

Make sure you take benchmarks with a grain of salt.

linux_0

Splendid
SLI usually performs better than Crossfire due to it's age, but X1900s are good cards too.
Exactly. SLI is most established and usually performs better. But it also depends on the card. SLI 7900GTX will win some benchmakrs, and Crssfire X1900 will win some benchmarks.

Heyyou27 and prozac are absolutely correct. SLI is usually more stable and more mature.

In the benchmarks they each win some and lose some.

nVidia is usually better in OpenGL and ATI is normally better in D3D.

For operating systems other than windoze, nVidia is a much better choice.

RichPLS

Champion
We understand that Nvidia partners are still not that happy with the volumes of the available Geforce 7900 GTX and GT cards in Europe. This is the general feeling at this weeks Nvidia's Prague partner gathering.
We don’t know what the problem is, but it seems that Nvidia cannot print enough G71 based chips. We know that many partners have a huge queue of back orders and some of them already have a few hundreds or even more pre-ordered cards they want to ship.

It doesn’t appear that the situation will be fixed soon...
The Inquirer

Could be nVidia is having problems with the chips running that high passing for manufacture thus making them harder to produce enough for market.
They had similar problems with the 7800GTX and apparently still do.

I would go with the X1900XT for its respectable blazing speed and high quality HDR/AA imaging along with being AVIVO enabled.

cleeve

Illustrious
The best thing you can do sir, is google some benchmarks and make up your own mind.

Benchmarks have no brand loyalty, for the most part. Both will win their share of benchmarks.

Xbitpog

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
First up...you'd have to be nuts to go with either SLI or XF, but SLI is the best...more stable and mature{ATI could become the best within 14 months or so, but Nvidia are the dual card king right now!!}.....consider that to get any value over a 1900XT{the current price/power champ}, you'd need either 2 1900XT's or 2 7900GTX's, and that's nutsoid from a value POV, but damn exciting, LOL.

If you went 7900GT SLI, you'd be about 25-30% faster than a 1900XT, but you'd have to pay heaps more for it, and then the next refresh might pawn your ass!

SLI/XF is only for very hi-res LCD gaming, ie, beyond 16x1200, but of course, as soon as game comes out and knocks you out of native, then you'll have to do 2 x 800GTX to keep up.....a very expensive hobby, especially considering how bad most games are lately.

So, the 1900XTX is the fastest card overall{all benchmarks will confirm this}, and the good news is that it rocks in both FEAR and Q4{both extremely demanding when IQ cranked}, but it's the 1900XT that represents the value at the high end.

Warning...don't buy an oclocked Nvidia, or any card for that matter.

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
So, the 1900XTX is the fastest card overall{all benchmarks will confirm this}, and the good news is that it rocks in both FEAR and Q4{both extremely demanding when IQ cranked}, but it's the 1900XT that represents the value at the high end.

Warning...don't buy an oclocked Nvidia, or any card for that matter.

The first quoted statement doesn't exactly hold up: FEAR Benchmarks, Q4 Benchmarks.

Secondly, the 7900GT offers comparable performance for about $100 less. You could bump your video card spending up about $60 and get a 7900GTX over a 1900XT though, and the performance jump is quite worth the price differential.

Thirdly, I have a factory overclocked 7800GT. No problems. I have 4 other friends with factory overclocked cards from BFG, XFX, and eVGA (mine), and none have any issues whatsoever.

Xbitpog

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
The 1900XTX is the fastest in Fear, and is the fastest card overall......let's see you refute that with something exact.

I like the 7900GT, but it depends on how the 1800GTO fairs and it's price, but let's keep it real, the 1900XT pawns a 7900GT any day.
As for your oclocked cards, I couldn't care less....I don't oclock anything and never have any stability issues, unlike the recent batch of 7900GTX's.

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
The 1900XTX is the fastest in Fear, and is the fastest card overall......let's see you refute that with something exact.

I linked you some solid evidence showing that in both Fear and Quake 4 the cards are nearly equal, depending on resolution.

I like the 7900GT, but it depends on how the 1800GTO fairs and it's price, but let's keep it real, the 1900XT pawns a 7900GT any day.

I never disagreed about the 1900XT pwning the 7900GT. The 1900XT has 512 mb of memory, and is just a better card overall. However, it costs $100 more, so the two can't be compared in a price/performance ratio category.

As for your oclocked cards, I couldn't care less....I don't oclock anything and never have any stability issues, unlike the recent batch of 7900GTX's.

Coincidentally, I would hope that you don't experience stability issues. If you do, and your cards aren't overclocked, there's something wrong. I've used the 7900GTX in two past builds and not had issues (specifically the XFX models). Must just be bad cards.

Unfortunately for nVidia, ATI is going to hold higher sales due to a better availability of cards. nVidia's new 90nm technology will hopefully make all graphics solutions from this point forward much better, especially going into 80nm and beyond.

As far as the "fannyboy" accusation.. I don't consider myself an nVidia fanboy. I just don't like ATI too much, due to a few personal experiences. For those of you who love your ATI cards, great. I just choose not to buy ATI.

Also, I did provide something somewhat concrete as to your flat argument that the 1900XTX is "the fastest card overall". I still haven't seen anything you've posted back your claim up.

Xbitpog

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
So, the new flagship product from Nvidia looks competitive enough, even though it has not become an indisputable performance leader. It’s now up to Nvidia to satisfy the demand for this highly appealing graphics card which is going to be high, considering the price tag. We hope the GeForce 7900 GTX will not repeat the fate of the GeForce 7800 GTX 512 and will come to market in mass quantities very soon.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce7900gtx_28.html

Based on our conversations with some of NVIDIA’s board partners though, they’ve got some pretty aggressive plans for ratcheting up the stock speeds of the GeForce 7900 GTX on their overclocked line of boards. Perhaps one of these boards may manage to grab a few of the benchmarks that the X1900 XTX holds today

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900_gt_gtx_performance/page19.asp

Jaffe

Your initial response to me was a pathetic attempt to favour Nvidia, and FYI, only a fool would judge a high end card on anything other than 16x12 and above, and ATI is consistently the top dog in games overall....especially as OPGL isn't dominant.

I'm simply pointing out the truth that atm, ATI have the best high end card, ie, the 1900XT, fast, affordable and available, not to mention all websites consider it's pixel shaders to offer some degree of future proofing, and also that overall the 1900XTX is the fastest card.

I favour SLI over XF, although I'm not a fan of the tech based primarily on a value for money criteria, I think the 6800GS, 7600GT are good cards, but it looks like the 1800GTO, 1900XT, 1900XTX are the mid-high end champs.

punkouter

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
we have heard and see lots of benchmarks about 7900 vs x1900 and sli vs xf. but is there actually a benchmark on single card set-up motherboards? i mean, if i were to buy x1900 (not planning on dual-card, so theres no need for xf), what motherboard is best?

1. is sli based mb is better than xf based even if im using x1900?
2. for mb, the more important factor is actually amd architecture vs intel. when combined with the graphic card. which one is better? if suppose im going to use amd processor, and a nvidia card using a xf supporting mb, will it going to perform well?
3. what about the card maker? as far as i know, the best nvidia maker would be BFG that supports factory overclocked cards. and for ATI i would say Sapphire. But is that correct? or is there any other opinions?

im going to buy a new computer also in two months. for the moment, here's my spec:

MB: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4
CPU: Athlon64 X2 4800
Memory: Corsair DDR SDRAM PC3200 1GB×2 TWINX2048-3200C2
VGA: X1900XTX

I'm pretty confused with the Mobo though, is it better using Asus A8N32-SLI or A8R-MVP (xf)?

thanks for all the help.

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Jaffe

Your initial response to me was a pathetic attempt to favour Nvidia, and FYI, only a fool would judge a high end card on anything other than 16x12 and above, and ATI is consistently the top dog in games overall....especially as OPGL isn't dominant.

I'm simply pointing out the truth that atm, ATI have the best high end card, ie, the 1900XT, fast, affordable and available, not to mention all websites consider it's pixel shaders to offer some degree of future proofing, and also that overall the 1900XTX is the fastest card.

I favour SLI over XF, although I'm not a fan of the tech based primarily on a value for money criteria, I think the 6800GS, 7600GT are good cards, but it looks like the 1800GTO, 1900XT, 1900XTX are the mid-high end champs.

I'm surprised that I've in some way offended you. The premise of my argument is that you cannot in any way shape or form dub one card "the leader" when they're within 5 frames of eachother on each test, one way or the other. Period. I'm not saying the 7900GTX is the leader, I'm not saying the 1900XTX is the leader. I'm simply saying that you can't dub one or the other "the crown" so to speak.

Unfortunately for you, you still don't see my argument regarding the X1900XT. $430 is not affordable to most people, so you cannot deem it as such. $330 is within reach of more people, and nVidia is offering comparable performance with their 7900GT for $100 under ATI's price. The two CANNOT be compared. If they were within $50 of eachother, maybe. But $100 is a big budget difference when contrasting PC components.

As far as your statement concerning ATI's future proofing.. well, both companies are obviously futureproofing. However, the jump from 110nm to 90nm is very significant to the advancement of technology and the quality of the cards both companies are putting on the market.

Now, on to actually help someone.

Punkouter:
As far as single card setups, it's all about personal preference, really. I prefer AMD/nVidia for a few reasons. nVidia's nForce4 chipset (and all its variations) is currently the most popular chipset for gaming motherboards. More gamers, as I've seen from my personal experience, choose the AMD/nVidia combination. SLI is more efficient than Crossfire at the moment, so many think that the nForce4 chipset is more efficient than ATI Xpress chipsets. There are various other reasons you could use to back up either ATI/nVidia or AMD/intel, but currently I feel that your best bet is AMD/nVidia. That's just me though.

Xbitpog

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Jaffee.

The problem between us is that you tried to contradict/undermine everything I said, and all for Nvidia's benefit, and you've even admitted to favouring Nvidia for undisclosed personal reasons, as such, I merely pointed out to you that your reasoning was biased and effectively had little merit relative to what I said.

The 7900GT was a great card for a few weeks, but now is under threat by the much cheaper 1800GTO, having said that, the 7900GT is faster....however, atm there are 3 high end cards, and the 1900XT is the only rational choice....fast, affordable, available.

I couldn't care less about how much someone earns or their psychological PC/GPU budget, all I care about is offering advice that conforms to reason, and I don't care to have blatant Nvidia fannyboi's running off at the mouth.

FYI, I'm not suggesting you're uninformed/dumb, but I am suggesting you're a Nvidiot, and I can't stand them.

Xbitpog

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
we have heard and see lots of benchmarks about 7900 vs x1900 and sli vs xf. but is there actually a benchmark on single card set-up motherboards? i mean, if i were to buy x1900 (not planning on dual-card, so theres no need for xf), what motherboard is best?

p.

If no SLI, then still get a NF4 based mobo{I have ASUS A8N-E and it's perfect for a single card, extremely stable}.......do not get a ATI mobo, but have no fear in adding a ATI GPU to your NF4 mobo{I have a Saphire X800GT}.

Also, if you buy one of the big dollar mobo's{Premium/deluxe}, you'll have to get high speed ram to match the memory timings.....so a A8N-E or entry level SLI board will do, unless you're planning on adding fast ram.

Don't forget, it would be totally nutsoid to get a 1900XT{great card}, and not get 2 gig of ram as the IQ modes chug ram, also, Vista is a ram hog by the sound of it, so go 2 gig 2 x 1 straight up.

The GPU and ram is more important than superdooper CPU grunt, so anything fast as or faster than a AMD 3500 will do.
Get a 550w PSU if you buy 1900XT.

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Jaffee.

The problem between us is that you tried to contradict/undermine everything I said, and all for Nvidia's benefit, and you've even admitted to favouring Nvidia for undisclosed personal reasons, as such, I merely pointed out to you that your reasoning was biased and effectively had little merit relative to what I said.

The 7900GT was a great card for a few weeks, but now is under threat by the much cheaper 1800GTO, having said that, the 7900GT is faster....however, atm there are 3 high end cards, and the 1900XT is the only rational choice....fast, affordable, available.

I couldn't care less about how much someone earns or their psychological PC/GPU budget, all I care about is offering advice that conforms to reason, and I don't care to have blatant Nvidia fannyboi's running off at the mouth.

FYI, I'm not suggesting you're uninformed/dumb, but I am suggesting you're a Nvidiot, and I can't stand them.

It's unfortunate that you feel this way when all you need to do is look at your own posts and my replies to see that all you were doing was nVidia bashing, and I, being even handed as I am, decided to put up a stand in nVidia's defense. Period. End of story.

I'm sorry to hear that you somehow hate an entire company and decide to call the consumers that it attracts "nVidiots".. rather uncouth, in my opinion, and I believe that statement undermines all your arguments thusforth more than anything. It clearly shows that you are ATI-biased in your approach.

As for my "undisclosed reason" for not purchasing ATI products.. it all stems from constant problems with their products. I recieved 3 dead cards in a row. When replaced with a different ATI card, the PC I was trying to boot worked fine. However, as the working card was not mine, I asked for a refund from the retailer, received it, and purchased an nVidia card at the suggestion of mulitple friends in my area. I did, and I haven't gone back to ATI, and I don't plan to unless nVidia gives me trouble. There, now my reasoning is disclosed. Happy?

Xbitpog

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
[ It's unfortunate that you feel this way when all you need to do is look at your own posts and my replies to see that all you were doing was nVidia bashing, and I, being even handed as I am, decided to put up a stand in nVidia's defense. Period. End of story.

I'm sorry to hear that you somehow hate an entire company and decide to call the consumers that it attracts "nVidiots".. rather uncouth, in my opinion, and I believe that statement undermines all your arguments thusforth more than anything. It clearly shows that you are ATI-biased in your approach.

?

Chump....I've stuck up for NF4, SLI, 6800GS, 7600GT, 7900GT, and I'm not anti the 7900GTX, nor the 6800GT 256, so stop making a complete goose of yourself......it's time for you to quietly disappear from this thread as any more bullshit will only further highlight your blatant Nvidia bias.....also you've decided to exaggerate again and ass-ume I think all Nvidia fans are Nvidiots, when the truth is that I accused only you, and only those that are irrationally attached to a brand rather than some ratio of quality and performance.

It's a lovely sounding fantasy world you're living in, but I prefer the cold hard facts, ......something you've shunned in favour of fanboism,......congratulations, you're now a message board superhero prone to exaggeration and product propaganda :roll:

TRENDING THREADS