Sign in with
Your question

What increase can i expect ?

Last response: in CPUs
April 14, 2006 5:03:14 AM

My fastest machine at the moment is my laptop (pentium m 1.8) 1 gig ram.. I am planning to buy a AMD X2 3800+ on Asus kv8 mobo with 2 gig ram.. My main task on computers is multitrack audio recording/mixing which im pretty sure relies mostly on FPU calculations..

Could anyone take a guess at what kind of speed increase i will be likely to see ?

More about : increase expect

April 14, 2006 5:07:45 AM

Quote:
My fastest machine at the moment is my laptop (pentium m 1.8) 1 gig ram.. I am planning to buy a AMD X2 3800+ on Asus kv8 mobo with 2 gig ram.. My main task on computers is multitrack audio recording/mixing which im pretty sure relies mostly on FPU calculations..

Could anyone take a guess at what kind of speed increase i will be likely to see ?

I surmise you don't mean overclock, but comparing a 1.8GHz PM to a 3800+ X2. The 3800+ X2 will perform faster, albeit not extravigent, and not worth the $300 pricetag. Get yourself a 3200+ or 3500+ and you'll see a bigger improvement without a big hit to your wallet.

~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 14, 2006 5:11:43 AM

Really ? I thought the dual core would show me significant increase ? The main program i use is written to run on dual core so ive had it in my mind it would be loads better..

If you were to put a ratio on it would you say 2x as fast or more/less ?
Related resources
April 14, 2006 5:20:36 AM

Quote:
Really ? I thought the dual core would show me significant increase ? The main program i use is written to run on dual core so ive had it in my mind it would be loads better..

If you were to put a ratio on it would you say 2x as fast or more/less ?

I didn't really look at your app, figured it useless. But, since you say Dual-Core, than yes, it will make a HUGE difference. If you're looking for a ballpark of 3800+X2 vs. PM 1.8 w/ Dual-Core....hmm.....75-95% faster than a PM, provided the program uses 100% of both cores.

~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 14, 2006 5:50:53 AM

Cool.. Im happy with that.. I generally try to restrict my upgrades to when i am able to double the grunt.. And since im only falling slightly short of what i need with the PM i think it will be enough..
April 14, 2006 8:45:07 AM

Cool.. I'll suss the yonah out.. I do like the idea of lower power consumption..

If i do decide to go the 3800+ do they overclock well ? Right now i dont forsee i will need to overclock as im only just short of the power i need with a PM 1.8, but something new is bound to come out and want more cpu..

Subconciously i still think overclocking is like it was 6 years ago when your ram and pci etc was all locked.. I know the mobos now can focus on each part, therefore i guess you can overclock and keep things 100% stable a lot easier, right ?

I need stability first, if you are recording a take and something blows out halfway through and you loose what is a potentially great moment because of a technical fault it can really peeve you off and quickly loose the vibe if it keeps happening..
April 14, 2006 9:23:00 AM

What software are you using to multitrack/mix?
April 15, 2006 12:41:39 AM

Vegas is my main program.. I started on cakewalk 3 back in 93 on a 386, followed it right up till sonar 1 and then decided i hate midi and only do audio, vegas had been winning me over so i picked it up and use it for almost everything now.. Ive been told vegas will use both cores of an X2, ive only ever run it on single cpu systems.. Im curious to know just how well it supports it though, any idea ?
!