Plasma or LCD TV

krishcool

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
i knw this topic has been here for a while, as i'm gonna buy on of the two in coming month or so, u could just give me a final verdict on which one to buy.
all i'm gonna do is watch HDTV content on it and most probably do some gaming. It should support upto 1080 i/p resolutions .
please suggest which one would be best for coming two years or so. do give the brand names and models too.

linux_0

Splendid
i knw this topic has been here for a while, as i'm gonna buy on of the two in coming month or so, u could just give me a final verdict on which one to buy.
all i'm gonna do is watch HDTV content on it and most probably do some gaming. It should support upto 1080 i/p resolutions .
please suggest which one would be best for coming two years or so. do give the brand names and models too.

Definitely LCD.

Plasmas have a number of issues. They get burn in, colors bleed like crazy, are very heavy, sensitive to movement and their resolution is that that great.

ikaz

Distinguished
Just wondering if you have ever thought about DLP TV I have one it pretty nice however I hear that 10% of people can see the colorwheel I can't nor could my friends but it kinda nice middle ground plus they tend to have better black levels then a LCD TV

CodeJunkie

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Since everyone has gone on the LCD side, I'm going to voice an opinion for plazma. I recenly picked up the Samsung HP-R5052 and I love it.

The resolution is 1366x768 so it will do 1080i and the viewable angle is way better than LCD. Also plaxma has true blacks and switches much faster than LCD so you don't get artifacts in fast motion.

There are some warnings about using it as a pc monitor or for gaming due to possible burn in but it has circuitry to prevent it as well as a program to remove burn in if it happens.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Yes more info on this. I too plan on buying one soon. Brands or models would be appreciated.

I know people don't care for their computers, but I've heard a few decent things about Dell's LCDs. Are they any good?

I friend of mine just bought an Olevia and is very pleased with it. Are they any good?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005

If you want 1080p, that's just coming out. Expect to pay alot.
Another ding against plasma is that Cnet did a power comparison, and plasma can take 2-3x the power of LCD or DLP.

We really can't give you brands/models... You need to go look for yourself. As a previous poster said, you might or might not be able to see the rainbow effect of DLP, so the only way to know is to go look.
If you can go to Costco... they let you return anything if anything goes wrong at all... no questions asked.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
My friend also bought a Power Filter with his LCD. He bought it here.

According to him it's supposed to help the LCD last longer. Is there any truth to this or his it just hype?

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
From what I've seen, heard and researched about plasma there is a gas on the inside of the picture tube and it doesn't last with no way to refill or exchange the gas . From the tech's that set them up you are supposed to have the color adjusted every year for "x" amount of dollars because of the gas changing "x" not being cheap . if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a tv I expect it to be the best and from what I've heard and seen plasma is not it . I will admit they have an awsome picture but for what they want for them I'll go get a LCD they have a great picture and last longer .

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Here are a few things I have gathered about Plasmas (we have one at my house):

1. As far as I know, there is no way to fix an image burn in.

2. The gas can change in plasmas resulting in colors that are off. Unfortunately there is no way to fix this but it doesnt happen until the TV gets near its useful life. DLPs do need to be adjusted though.

3. Yes, the life span on a plasma is limited. But they will last longer than you think. The tv I have (Panasonic TH-42PX500U) apparently has a quoted life span of 60,000 hours. Lets play it safe and say we will get 40,000 hours out of it. If you were to use the TV for 12 hours a day every day, it would take you a little over 9 years to wear the thing out.

So which one to get? I used to be against plasmas, but then I took a good look at them and I dont think they are all that bad at all. They did have problems in the past, in the last year or two there have been major improvements to them. IMO, LCDs are over priced for the size. You also dont get very good greys/blacks and the refresh rates arent that great. The only LCD I would be willing to buy would be something under 20 inches. If I were buying a large screen, I would get rear projection before LCD.

Ultimately, its up to you to decide which style of TV you want, not just a bunch of goobs in a message board. Go to a TV storem and look at the TVs and decide which look the best in your opinion. Dont go to places like Best Buy or Circuit City. They dont know crap there. I went to Magnolia Hi-Fi and it was quite refreshing to have an intelligent conversation about the hardware with the salesman.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Depends on what's most important to you. A plasma will give you a better contrast, an LCD is more resolution capable and durable. I've got a 32in LCD and the picture looks good to me and you don't have to worry about burn-in or maintinance. The contrast isn't that great though and dead pixels are a possibility. Plasmas will give you great contrast and rich colors but they are high maintinance.

Properly set up and driven, and with good content, both will look good.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
My friend also bought a Power Filter with his LCD. He bought it here.

According to him it's supposed to help the LCD last longer. Is there any truth to this or his it just hype?
That power filter looks like a glorified surge protector to me.

I'm not a power expert, so I don't know if that Power Filter will help. I typically just figure as long as I protect against surges/spikes, your stuff will probably last long enough.

Perhaps someone else can shine some ideas on it?

Personally, if I got a TV right now, I'd get a DLP (if I couldn't see the rainbow effect). They're cheaper. Plain and simple. These days burn-in isn't a big issue like it was in the earlier years.

konman43

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I say an lcd. They are supposed to last longer, and the new one's that keep coming out seem to blow away the plasmas. Examples would be the Sony Qualia's that run about $15000 average, and the Sharp Aquios's that run about the same price and quality as the Sony's. I went to a mall in San Fran, and got to see what must have been a 70inch Qualia in action. It blew me away. Detail was excellent. Sharpness lifelike. My buddies and I just sat there, stupified drooling and maybe even tearing up a little, watching the hi-def butterfly waxing it's wings in all its 1080p glory on a bright pink 6 foot flower (don't you just love it when a store makes a nice hi-res TV look bad by showing low res content. ewww). That was the best part of San Fran, considering we ate a bunch of bad dumplings that gave me stomach problems the rest of the trip in cali.

I'd get a Qualia to put into my Limited edition McLaren, but I used all 23 of my future children's college funds on the car. Sorry for the digression, but the Sceptre 37inch X37SV-Naga 1000:1 contrast ratio, 600cd/m2 Brightness, 1920x1080i or p (don't know which because review sites list one or the other sometimes. I'm guessing 1080i since the website doesn't plaster 1080p P! P! P! P! everywhere), with progressive scan 3D line comb filter, HDMI, ATSC, DVI, and detachable speaker HDTV's can be had for around $1670 shipped on pricegrabber. Also available at newegg.com for $1599, with $60 mail in rebate, and $99.99 shipping. With 8ms time and a dvi socket, they should make for acceptable gaming units too. Due to it's affordability and good enough quality, I plan on buying one as soon as I can budget it in. They also have 42inch unit available.

-kx
-life's short play naked