Sign in with
Your question

Alienware in Aus?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2006 10:31:03 AM

I know this is probably not the right forum... But if I wanted a reasonably fast PC with a warranty, how does Alienware stack up?

Down here in Australia we have a limited selection of bits 'n pieces, and also limited support.

Please, no flames...

More about : alienware aus

April 14, 2006 10:58:28 AM

Alienware makes great systems, but you pay for the priviledge. As long as you are ok with overpaying for your pc, have at.
Good luck
April 16, 2006 3:37:17 AM

I think Alienware is junk for the price, if you can get ABS up there, I would check them out. That's probably the only brand of PC's I would buy, atleast gaming wise. If you really want a fast PC, build it yourself. It doesn't take much time at all to learn how to build one, and PC's are dummy proof, nearly anyone could build one if they put a little effort into it. All the gaming computer companies overprice their rigs way too much, and usually overload it with software that you never use and slow the performance. Just my 2 cents.
Related resources
April 16, 2006 7:11:20 AM

Hmmm... I did build the one that I've currently got, and the one before that, and the one... Never mind, I'm just tired of building my own and then getting no support.

I currently have been patiently waiting for over almost two months for a fsb chipset fan for my a8n sli deluxe MB, hence the 'lack of support' comment.

I use my primary PC for 24 x 7 support of the GPRS core for one of Australia's larger comms companies, hence it needs to be reliable.

Also the prices here for the individual buyer are quite high... To upgrade my fx 55 to an fx 60, for instance, will set me back about 1750 AUD, and to replace my two 6800 GPU's with two 7900 ultras will set me back about 2300 AUD.

I can get a complete system from Alienware AUS for a bit above 7500, complete with 3 year warranty (one year of which is onsite).

So I guess that the question that I really meant to ask was, does any one out here have any actual experience dealing with Alienware?
April 16, 2006 2:25:23 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... I did build the one that I've currently got, and the one before that, and the one... Never mind, I'm just tired of building my own and then getting no support.

I currently have been patiently waiting for over almost two months for a fsb chipset fan for my a8n sli deluxe MB, hence the 'lack of support' comment.

I use my primary PC for 24 x 7 support of the GPRS core for one of Australia's larger comms companies, hence it needs to be reliable.

Also the prices here for the individual buyer are quite high... To upgrade my fx 55 to an fx 60, for instance, will set me back about 1750 AUD, and to replace my two 6800 GPU's with two 7900 ultras will set me back about 2300 AUD.

I can get a complete system from Alienware AUS for a bit above 7500, complete with 3 year warranty (one year of which is onsite).

So I guess that the question that I really meant to ask was, does any one out here have any actual experience dealing with Alienware?

That would be because you got an Asus motherboard, and I hear their support sucks. But I've heard the same with Alienware and their support, there is a thread somewheres in these forums about Alienware, you should read it, it may help you.
April 17, 2006 7:39:19 AM

Pretty much all support in Australia sucks. I tried to get support from abit for my old kt7a leaking capacitors, abit referred me to there distributor in AUS and the distributor told me to pretty much bugger off. I contacted abit again and got the same deal. Aopen made me wait 2 months on an ax6bc replacement before that. The only company I've had a good experience with is ATI who dealt with me very quickly.

I guess my comments don't help with your problem croc but I sympasize with you wanting decent support for your system.
April 23, 2006 9:33:54 AM

Quote:
Who needs big companies' support when you've got me around???

Then answer these three simple questions...

1. Why are my CPU and MB temps now about 35% higher after I got an ASUS a8n32 sli MB? (47c and 52c currently, doing nothing... That used to be their max temp figures with my old a8n sli deluxe...)

2. When is Nvidia going to offer NTune for this board? (OK, I'm lazy. So shoot me.)

3. WHY IS THIS MB UNABLE TO POST 3DMARK SCORES HIGHER THAN MY ORIGINAL A8N SLI DID RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX?
April 27, 2006 9:12:34 AM

Three months and counting for my replacement FSB... ASUS will finally get it to me or else...

Sorry about your lack of support as well.
April 28, 2006 11:33:16 AM

Yes
!