Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Physical Memory Dump Stop Error.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Physical Memory
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 14, 2006 11:02:35 AM

Ack ok...Here's the thing.

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 my specs are as followed:
PC: P4 w/ HTT 520 (2.8 Ghz), connect3D Radeon X800GTO 256MB, 2GB DDR2 400 (PC2-3200), FSP Groups AX450-PN-450W PSU, Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA 3.0 GB HDD, Creative SB Audigy LS

All drivers are up to date.

My video card is OC'd to 430/610 Runs 35C Idle 51 Under stress. Rest of my PC stays very cool. I have had this setup running great for almost 2 months. Now all of the sudden I was exiting Silkroadonline. I had Obivlion downloading from Direct2Drive (Legit).

When it was about to exit the program it came up to the blue screen of death, saying it was dumping physical memory and blah blah etc, Before I could get any further info it restarted....BLEH!

I didn't have it setup correctly in Settings/Startup/Recovery.

I ran Memtest86 it passed 6 times...No errors, so I decided to come back and redue what I was doing and then some.

So I restarted the download, Got back on the game played for about 15 minutes, exited. Nothing, I ran CS:S's Video Stress test. 107 FPS, Exited nothing, Ran 3D Mark 05, 4831 Benchmarks...No error.

I'm putting my PC through hell at this point while downloading and now it does nothing...What gives...Is there a way to test my PC to see if it will do the stop error again...

It didn't create anything in the minidump folder, It created the huge "MEMORY.DMP" File in the System root.

It was corrupt. Any Ideas?

EDIT: Though there was a power surge the night before and when it booted back up all the settings and icons were reset...I'm just wondering if maybe it did something to the hardware, I have a surge protector on but...guess it didn't do much.

More about : physical memory dump stop error

April 14, 2006 11:51:48 AM

Quote:
Ack ok...Here's the thing.

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 my specs are as followed:
PC: P4 w/ HTT 520 (2.8 Ghz), connect3D Radeon X800GTO 256MB, 2GB DDR2 400 (PC2-3200), FSP Groups AX450-PN-450W PSU, Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80GB SATA 3.0 GB HDD, Creative SB Audigy LS

All drivers are up to date.

My video card is OC'd to 430/610 Runs 35C Idle 51 Under stress. Rest of my PC stays very cool. I have had this setup running great for almost 2 months. Now all of the sudden I was exiting Silkroadonline. I had Obivlion downloading from Direct2Drive (Legit).

When it was about to exit the program it came up to the blue screen of death, saying it was dumping physical memory and blah blah etc, Before I could get any further info it restarted....BLEH!

I didn't have it setup correctly in Settings/Startup/Recovery.

I ran Memtest86 it passed 6 times...No errors, so I decided to come back and redue what I was doing and then some.

So I restarted the download, Got back on the game played for about 15 minutes, exited. Nothing, I ran CS:S's Video Stress test. 107 FPS, Exited nothing, Ran 3D Mark 05, 4831 Benchmarks...No error.

I'm putting my PC through hell at this point while downloading and now it does nothing...What gives...Is there a way to test my PC to see if it will do the stop error again...

It didn't create anything in the minidump folder, It created the huge "MEMORY.DMP" File in the System root.

It was corrupt. Any Ideas?

EDIT: Though there was a power surge the night before and when it booted back up all the settings and icons were reset...I'm just wondering if maybe it did something to the hardware, I have a surge protector on but...guess it didn't do much.




Go into the control panel -> system -> startup and recovery -> uncheck reboot when a problem is detected or whatever they are calling it now

Get the system to blue screen again then please post the error code or stop code


Good Luck :-D
April 14, 2006 11:58:44 AM

Power surge would surely do not much more than just damage your PSU. Are you saying you've seen this error once and are worried it's going to happen again?? Could it have been that you accidently disconnected your HDD by knocking the PC or something?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2006 11:59:45 AM

There is the odd error here and there which many say is caused by intermittent ATI driver bugs...

Check Dell's website for latest chipset drivers, and check ATI's site for latest WinXP drivers....

While troubleshoting, I'd also consider running your x800 at stock speeds for a while....
April 14, 2006 12:08:35 PM

What I'm getting at is...This is the first time it's ever happend. While I do not EVER want to see it happen again...I do however would like to know if there is ways of making it happen again I would like to test it and see if it will happen again to see what exactly is causing this issue.

All my cables and hardware are firmly in place and seated I triple checked that, There is little to no dust in the rig. I've gone through all I can think of.

And I did that after all this occured, linux :) , I realized that when it made the wrong memory dump and retstarted when an error occured that it was setup wrong.
April 14, 2006 12:10:22 PM

The only time that error has ever occurred for me is when my HDD 12v molex connector came loose, but if you've checked it...
April 14, 2006 12:14:19 PM

Quote:
What I'm getting at is...This is the first time it's ever happend. While I do not EVER want to see it happen again...I do however would like to know if there is ways of making it happen again I would like to test it and see if it will happen again to see what exactly is causing this issue.

All my cables and hardware are firmly in place and seated I triple checked that, There is little to no dust in the rig. I've gone through all I can think of.

And I did that ater all this occured linux :)  I realized that when it made the wrong memory dump and retstarted when an error occured that it was setup wrong.




Try running Oblivion with max settings or Morrowind also with max settings and see if that causes it to crash.

Morrowind used to crash several times a day on me.
April 14, 2006 12:17:17 PM

Did that earlier a little stutter but my rig handled it well. I played for a little over 4 hours no problems...

If it indeed was just something coming loose would it show up in event log perhaps...There is an error in Event viewer under system that says.

"The SIODRV service failed to start due to the following error:
The specified driver is invalid. "

And was around the time the Stop Error Occured I believe.
April 14, 2006 12:24:10 PM

Hmm I just look up SIODRV, Have something to do with Intel Active Monitor my LAN Card...Would make sense cause I was downloading oblivion...(4 gig File)

And playing an online game...To much stress on the net card maybe?
April 14, 2006 12:28:29 PM

Quote:
Hmm I just look up SIODRV, Have something to do with Intel Active Monitor my LAN Card...Would make sense cause I was downloading oblivion...(4 gig File)

And playing an online game...To much stress on the net card maybe?



Hard to tell... please try updating your network drivers. Uninstall them completely and install the latest driver.

Try to stress the NIC as much as possible.
April 14, 2006 12:41:44 PM

Ok, uninstalled them and updated to the latest.

Any ideas on how I can put alot of stress on it?
April 14, 2006 1:29:40 PM

I can say one thing if my error problems are not fixed ( no error yet just saying)

My download speeds are before it was around 270+ Kbp/s now 450-500 8O
April 14, 2006 1:39:27 PM

Quote:
I can say one thing if my error problems are not fixed ( no error yet just saying)

My download speeds are before it was around 270+ Kbp/s now 450-500 8O




450-500KB/sec sustained?

Is that from kernel.org?

What kind of internet connection do you have?
April 14, 2006 1:39:47 PM

Nothing...I had that downloading...I went and got on that game, I started an upload to testmy.net

Nothing...No error's. I'm stumped lol.


Edit: I run Adelpha Cable Premium.

Runs around 5100 Kbps connection speed downloads are supposed to be around 400 Kpbs. Sustained yes.


April 14, 2006 1:52:12 PM

Kewl :-D

Is that the GIMP on your desktop?

Kernel.org is FAST so that might explain part of it.
April 14, 2006 1:55:58 PM

Quote:
Kewl :-D

Is that the GIMP on your desktop?

Kernel.org is FAST so that might explain part of it.


Eeh you're probably right lol, But the thing is I've never seen it download that fast off of any server. Not since I first got the service.

Yup that's GIMP Shop lol, A decent alt as far as freeware to Adobe Photoshop or PSP10, But I love PSP10 and I think I'm gonna get it though.
April 14, 2006 2:29:42 PM

Quote:
Kewl :-D

Is that the GIMP on your desktop?

Kernel.org is FAST so that might explain part of it.


Eeh you're probably right lol, But the thing is I've never seen it download that fast off of any server. Not since I first got the service.

Yup that's GIMP Shop lol, A decent alt as far as freeware to Adobe Photoshop or PSP10, But I love PSP10 and I think I'm gonna get it though.


The GIMP rocks and it's open source! :-D

To test your network you could copy several large files on your LAN and open a bunch of connections back and forth.
April 14, 2006 3:11:38 PM

Nothing, I put it through as much stress as possible.

Starting to think maybe it was just a freak thing. Maybe the driver update did the trick.(Knock on wood)

I don't know what else it could be or I could do to test it.

EDIT: I also gonna ask.

I'm contemplating scraping this PC, I have a budget project I'm working on...Keyword budget...I can't go over 250 with the mobo/and processor.

I have a goal here that with only a processor and mobo to go I need to complete a fairly decent gaming rig.

Just wondering if this mobo/processor combo would be any good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
April 14, 2006 3:43:54 PM

Quote:
Nothing, I put it through as much stress as possible.

Starting to think maybe it was just a freak thing. Maybe the driver update did the trick.(Knock on wood)

I don't know what else it could be or I could do to test it.

EDIT: I also gonna ask.

I'm contemplating scraping this PC, I have a budget project I'm working on...Keyword budget...I can't go over 250 with the mobo/and processor.

I have a goal here that with only a processor and mobo to go I need to complete a fairly decent gaming rig.

Just wondering if this mobo/processor combo would be any good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...




I would suggest this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...


for 85.84+152 = $237.84 DELIVERED

The 939s are significantly better, you can use dual channel RAM and you have a good upgrade path. Prices should come down in the next 0 - 60 days.

or any one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

:-D
April 14, 2006 4:15:01 PM

Ahhh lol, you nailed it right on the head, I was gonna go with that same option. But I figured the 3400 would be a tad better.

Appreciate that, I always heard that if you want a good gaming rig you have to build it yourself, I didn't really believe it but starting too now as this Dell is starting to act up after only a a few months.

I mean it gets good scores on bench marks and stuff for what it is...All high settings on F.E.A.R with around 55-60 FPS (Note only at 1024x768) But that's enough for me, Any higher res makes me sick (Literally).
April 14, 2006 4:23:45 PM

Quote:
Ahhh lol, you nailed it right on the head, I was gonna go with that same option. But I figured the 3400 would be a tad better.

Appreciate that, I always heard that if you want a good gaming rig you have to build it yourself, I didn't really believe it but starting too now as this Dell is starting to act up after only a a few months.

I mean it gets good scores on bench marks and stuff for what it is...All high settings on F.E.A.R with around 55-60 FPS (Note only at 1024x768) But that's enough for me, Any higher res makes me sick (Literally).



Do you have 184pin DDR400 / PC3200 or 240pin DDR2?
April 14, 2006 7:31:41 PM

I have both actually. Like 3 sticks of 512 DDR 184-pin and 4 256 sticks of DDR2 400.

And then I have the 2, 1 GB currently in the system.
April 14, 2006 8:38:48 PM

Quote:
I have both actually. Like 3 sticks of 512 DDR 184-pin and 4 256 sticks of DDR2 400.

And then I have the 2, 1 GB currently in the system.



Great :-D

You're all set. I was asking because S939 CPUs work best with 184pin DDR400 modules in pairs for dual channel.
April 15, 2006 9:32:54 PM

Hey um linux,

What's the best thing to us to spread the thermal paste on the die?

Always wondered what to use.
April 15, 2006 11:09:58 PM

Quote:
Hey um linux,

What's the best thing to us to spread the thermal paste on the die?

Always wondered what to use.



You can use a credit card or other plastic card to spread the thermal paste works very well.

If you buy a boxed processor there is already a thermal pad on the stock cooler so you do not have to use thermal paste.

The stock cooler and thermal pad are actually very good.
!