Sign in with
Your question

Failing SuperPi but passing Prime95. . ? and BSOD - OCing

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2006 12:59:32 PM

HI all,

I have overclocked my cpu (AMD 3500+ VEnice 2.2ghz) to 2.53ghz. By setting the htt to 230mhz and keeping the mulitplier at x11. I upped the vcore to 1.42v. My RAM is at 230.1mhz with timings 3-3-3-7. It is GSKILL.

Things were running fine. I couldt quite work out if I could notice the performance improvements and they were worth it but I kept like this for the last week or so.

Today I thought I might pass windows update, and downloaded 15 updates (not all critical ones). Apart from this causing a few other problems, suddenly SuperpI fails giving errors. I try Prime95 and it was fine with no errors for 2hours.. I was confused because I thought Prime95 was more demanding.

About 30mins latter I got a BSOD saying bad_pool_caller. This scared me so I returned stuff to stock speeds and SuperPi works fine now.

What has caused this, and is my system damaged in any way?
April 14, 2006 2:13:16 PM

Any number of things could cause it, and you just have to start over again and see what values you can use. Over time electrical characteristics of components might shift slightly and cause instability. It's nothing new, so don't pop of vein. :wink:

It may have been pure coincidence and not related to the updates whatsoever.
April 14, 2006 2:14:15 PM

Quote:
HI all,

I have overclocked my cpu (AMD 3500+ VEnice 2.2ghz) to 2.53ghz. By setting the htt to 230mhz and keeping the mulitplier at x11. I upped the vcore to 1.42v. My RAM is at 230.1mhz with timings 3-3-3-7. It is GSKILL.

Things were running fine. I couldt quite work out if I could notice the performance improvements and they were worth it but I kept like this for the last week or so.

Today I thought I might pass windows update, and downloaded 15 updates (not all critical ones). Apart from this causing a few other problems, suddenly SuperpI fails giving errors. I try Prime95 and it was fine with no errors for 2hours.. I was confused because I thought Prime95 was more demanding.

About 30mins latter I got a BSOD saying bad_pool_caller. This scared me so I returned stuff to stock speeds and SuperPi works fine now.

What has caused this, and is my system damaged in any way?

No, it's not damaged. Bad_Pool_Caller is "Attempt to free a memory pool that was already freed.", most likely caused by RAM too much overclocked and/or bad device driver. Try reoverclocking, upping voltage to RAM a little, run MemTest on it, and see what happens.

~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 14, 2006 9:33:46 PM

MMM is on the right track, you need to test your memory, Prime95 stresses the CPU. SuperPi is very very dependent on memory, and if there is something wrong with the memory, it will have problems. Not all the time, but most of the time. memtest86 is the way to go.
!