Cyberpower or Custom Built Computer?

I've been checking out cyberpower's web site, and the prices seem comparable to ordering parts separately and building a custom machine. The only issue I have with ordering from them is quality of the build. I wanted to know if it pays to use cyberpower... did anyone have great/bad experiences?

Cyberpower System:
Athlon X2 4800+
ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4
2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY
NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache
3 answers Last reply
More about cyberpower custom built computer
  1. Quote:
    I've been checking out cyberpower's web site, and the prices seem comparable to ordering parts separately and building a custom machine. The only issue I have with ordering from them is quality of the build. I wanted to know if it pays to use cyberpower... did anyone have great/bad experiences?

Cyberpower System:
    Athlon X2 4800+
    ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4
    2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY
    NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache

Custom build... You be much better off with a Opteron 170 CPU instead of the 4800. That motherboard is horrid, its has problems since two days before it was released. You would do much better with DFI Lanparty Ultra D board, that will allow you to overclock your system better anyway. Be wary of the RAM, its probably ValueRAM, you would want Corsair XMS or OCZ Gold.

JUST BUILD IT !! :)
  2. Get a barebones system from monarch computers, then add what you want to it yourself. Will be much cheaper and you have a better control on what is going into the rig.
  3. I bought a Cyberpower in Dec. 05. I had checked proces, and it was about $1000. cheaper than an equivalent Alienware. Mine is:

AMD 4400
    ASUS A8N32-sli deluxe
    2 gig Corsair XMS
    420 wt PSU
    7800 GTX 256 MB
    Hitachi 160 GB hardrive Sata150
    X-FI Platnum sound card

Not the top of the line, yet nothing to sneeze at.

I've had no problems. Its low priced compared to most store bought computers, but assembled well. I'd say get either the A8n32 motherboard or a DFI. Get the least memory and install your own. They put in four 512 MG modules when two 1 Gig would have been better. Get an extra cooling fan package. I got the one with 2 extra LED case fans. My CPU tempts run about 24 under load, with HDD temps at 26. Watch their pricing. They charge as more for an upgraded powersupply as you can buy from Newegg, for example. I plan to upgrade the PSU and video card later, and give the 7800 to my son. I don't think the extra money for the 4800 CPU is worth it.

Sure, you can build one a bit cheaper, but that's a question only you can answer as to whether its worth the hastle or not. I needed a computer in a hurry, and they delivered. So far, its been just as well built as, and even more reliable then my old Alienware was.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Cyberpower Systems