ASUS A8N32-SLI & MemTest86 Errors

onioneater36

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I recently built my first homebuilt PC.

When running MemTest86 I was taking a ton of errors on Test 6 which really surprised me cuz I checked to see that everything I bought should work together (compatibility lists, reviews, etc).

After scouring forums all over the place (thank you Google), I learned that if you have LEGACY USB enabled in the BIOS (I have version 1103) on this board, it will torment MemTest86. I was skeptical, but sure enough after disabling LEGACY USB, MemTest86 checks out OK with my Corsair memory even at 2-3-3-6-1T @ 2.75V (Corsair declared specs).

The question I have is should I continue to leave LEGACY USB disabled when I use Windows? Is it actually causing problems or is it just likely causing MemTest86 to false report? I did test my memory also using MemTest (windows version, had to run 2 sessions testing 779MB each) and that seemed to pass (I learned my first lesson in how to warm up a processor and system board too). The failure mode on MemTest86 was ALWAYS the same addresses and it did not matter whether or not I tested 1 stick individually or both together. I thought maybe my CPU or MOBO was bad. Glad (hoping) that it was just this BIOS glitch.

Thanks for helping a noobie. I have a lot of PC experience, it is just rusty. This is/was my attempt to dive into new, modern hardware. So far its been a blast.

NEXT STEP: OverClocking... Anyone with a similar system that has any recommendations?

onioneater36

Quetz

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
Yes just leave id diabled. You only need it for old USB stuff in dos.
As to the oc'ing just go slow and take it up. And make sure you understand the bios of the board. It is different from alot of them.

onioneater36

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks Quetz...

Do you know if leaving it ENABLED actually causes corruption? When I had it enabled, I ran XP SP2 for a long time (a month) using many apps and never seemed to have any problems. I do plan on leaving it DISABLED, but was more concerned about the root of the matter. If ENABLED causes corruption, I want to contact ASUS to get the issue fixed. I'd hate to reset someday and forget about disabling that and end up with corrupted data.

Thanks again for the help.

onioneater36

Castaa

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I want to thank you guys for posting the solution for this problem. I just installed my A8N32-SLI board today and Memtest86+ was throwing up massive errors with test 6 after updating to BIOS version 1103.

I was having it was a bad feeling I damaged my motherboard's memory slot or just had a bad motherboard since both DIMM had exactly the same problem as reported.

Thanks! :D

cblair

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I had the same problem and mine fixed as well by disabling the Legacy USB support. However if I keep that disabled then my keyboard won't respond while booting up. I can't hit delete to get into BIOS and during GRUB bootloader I can't select which OS I want to load (Linux or XP). Only once the default OS gets loaded will my keyboard come to life.

So in that situation do I leave it enabled or disable it and do something else to get it to work?

keyboard is MS comfort curve keyboard v1.0 (don't know if it's USB 2.0, 1.1 etc.) I also have tried to plug it into PS/2 slot with an adapter and different USB slots to no avail.