X1900XTX Power problem, can u help?

alan9

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Hi

How can i test if my Graphics Card is working properly?

I recently built my own PC and when i run a game or any intensive graphics the system shutdowns. In fact it just seems to loose power (it doesn't perform a Windows shutdown and no error message) but i know that the PSU is still supplying some power as the mobo lights are still on. I have a ATI X1900XTX and i realise this power hungry but i have a Antec 'Neo HE 500' which i think should be good enough.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

System:
Processor:AMD 64 4000
Graphics:ATI X1900XTX
Asus motherBoard: A8N-SLI Premium
2GB Kingston memory
Raptor 74GB HDD

alan9

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I've just come across this from the Antec website.

Are there compatibility issues between ASUS motherboards and Neo HE power supplies? We have received multiple reports of such issues, and ASUS and Antec technical teams have been able to confirm the existence of a random problem. If you believe you have encountered this incompatibility, please do the following:
1. Update your motherboard BIOS to the latest version. This step solves the incompatibility problem in a majority of cases.
2. If you have successfully updated your BIOS and still encounter the compatibility issue, please contact Antec Customer Support for a replacement power supply unit that has implemented a fix for the "ASUS motherboard problem."

Thanks for your help your probably right that it does seem a power supply problem. I've emailed Antec and it'll be interesting to see what they do about it.

Thanks again
Alan