Problems installing Thermaltake's Big Typhoon

tomasmk2003

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I had recently bought this product but came have some problems during the install. I have plenty of room for it so thats not an issue. I have an Asus32 Deluxe so I'll be using the K8 alternative method.

Okay, when putting the back H clip are you suppose to use the sponge or anything like that? doens't show it in the directions. So i didn't. But should the metal h clip be touching the mobo directly? I had some small washer on the back of my board from pervious heat sink so i decided to leave them on. Put the h clip on the back put the washers on the top ran the standoffs onto the screws to secure the screws.

Appllied some Artic 5 thermal compund on the cpu. Next i put the big typhoon onto the cpu and tighten the nuts to secure the typhoon in place. Believe i did all that correctly.

Turned on my computer and immediatly got cpu overheat warning. In fact was extremely high 125 C immediatly turned it off.

I then took the typhoon off saw on the heat sink and cpu there was good contact and enough thermal compound. I then just switched back to my old heat sink and fan and everything is normal again.

So if anyone has installed this product I'd greatly appreciate some help and knowing what went wrong.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
With the Asus boards, you are not supposed to have to remove the backplane for the CPU cooler bracket. You should be able to feed the bolts through the existing holes. You should only be using the upper H bracket, in other words. Installation of this beast is a little tricky, but I have installed it on two separate boards now, a Chaintech VNF4-Ultra, and an Asus A8N-SLI. The Chaintech required a different backplane, but the Asus followed the first set of installation instructions (for use with the AMD default backplane). Take a closer look at your instructions there. If you're still having problems, post back and I'll be glad to help.

-J

tomasmk2003

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I see, okay im gonna try and track down that plate on the mobo. I had someone else build my pc and im guess they took the plate off when installing the old heat sink. I had spoke with thermaltake and they said the 125 C reading has to be wrong cause the cpu would have exploded/been ruined even on for a 15seconds.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
True, I doubt that reading was accurate. Also, newer Intel and AMD chips have thermal protection, so it would have shut your system down automatically if your CPU was running anywhere near that hot. Good luck tracking down a backplate. A good local PC shop should be able to help you out.

-J

tomasmk2003

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Spoke with the guys who built my pc they informed me that yes that back plate should have come with it. And in fact looking at the directions for the old heat sink and fan they should have never took the plate off during installation of that one so no idea why they did.

I'm really hoping that back plate will make all the difference they will be sending it to me.

What did you mean by the part of using The first set of directions of default k8?

The directions say that with asus you typically have to use the alternative method. using the really small nuts etc