Dell XPS Gen 5 - 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or 256MB RADEO..

Festus

Distinguished
May 29, 2005

Looking at the Dell XPS Gen 5 system with 1GB RAM,250GB drive, Digital
panel etc. Not sure which video card to get.
The choices are: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or the optional 256MB ATI
RADEON X850 XT PE at $300 dollars more. I'm leaning toward the Radeon.
Any suggestions?
Thx!

Andy

I can't speak authoritatively on each card, but the fact that the ATI costs
an extra $300 might possibly tell you something... ;-)

"Festus" <Festus@home.net> wrote in message
> Looking at the Dell XPS Gen 5 system with 1GB RAM,250GB drive, Digital
> panel etc. Not sure which video card to get.
> The choices are: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or the optional 256MB ATI
> RADEON X850 XT PE at $300 dollars more. I'm leaning toward the Radeon.
> Any suggestions?
> Thx!

Festus

Distinguished
May 29, 2005

"Andy" <andy.cippico@gmail.com> wrote in

> I can't speak authoritatively on each card, but the fact that the
> ATI costs an extra $300 might possibly tell you something... ;-)
>

> "Festus" <Festus@home.net> wrote in message
>> Looking at the Dell XPS Gen 5 system with 1GB RAM,250GB drive,
>> Digital panel etc. Not sure which video card to get.
>> The choices are: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or the optional 256MB
>> ATI RADEON X850 XT PE at $300 dollars more. I'm leaning toward the
>> Radeon. Any suggestions?
>> Thx!

Yeah, that's true. The Geforce seems to have more problems. Weather or
not that's because there are more of them out, I'm not sure.
Thanks for your input.

Andy

Sorry I wasn't too helpful there, Festus. I do work in computers and I'd
pick NVIDIA over ATI most days because I consider NVIDIA's drivers to be
more stable. Of course, you'll find another PC expert who'll say exactly the
opposite! Who's to say either of us are right? The problem is that new cards
and drivers are released so rapidly a consistent overview of the market is
not always easy.

In short - do your research. Read reviews and user experiences and then go
for it. Unfortunately you won't be able to count on Dell for any major tech
support. I love their products but their support is dire.
Oh yeah - I just bought the 6800 Ultra and it cooks!

Andy

I read a lot of online material (www.tomshardware.com being one of them)

> Sorry I wasn't too helpful there, Festus. I do work in computers and
> I'd pick NVIDIA over ATI most days because I consider NVIDIA's
> drivers to be more stable. Of course, you'll find another PC expert
> who'll say exactly the opposite! Who's to say either of us are
> right? The problem is that new cards and drivers are released so
> rapidly a consistent overview of the market is not always easy.
>
> In short - do your research. Read reviews and user experiences and
> then go for it. Unfortunately you won't be able to count on Dell for
> any major tech support. I love their products but their support is
> dire. Oh yeah - I just bought the 6800 Ultra and it cooks!
>
> Andy
>
> I read a lot of online material (www.tomshardware.com being one of
> them)
>
> "Festus" <Festus@home.net> wrote in message
>> "Andy" <andy.cippico@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I can't speak authoritatively on each card, but the fact that the
>>> ATI costs an extra $300 might possibly tell you something... ;-)
>>>

>>> "Festus" <Festus@home.net> wrote in message
>>>

>> Yeah, that's true. The Geforce seems to have more problems. Weather
>> or not that's because there are more of them out, I'm not sure.
>> Thanks for your input.

I've been reading so much about both cards that I'm bout to go bonkers!
lol
I'll get set on one of them, then run across something else.
Thx!