Grahpics card for Laptop?

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi i have a paptop and want to play some games on it, the laptop is AMD turion 1.8-2 ghz and 1g ram but no graphics card.

is it possible to attacth a normall grapics card to a laptop?

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
hell no
if your laptop is MXM compliant then u can go buy nvidia MXM chips, otherwise ur stuck with the integrated. thats y laptops are a dead end.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
hell no
if your laptop is MXM compliant then u can go buy nvidia MXM chips, otherwise ur stuck with the integrated. thats y laptops are a dead end.

Where can you get them?

I can just see some idiot trying to hook up a 7900GTX to his 486 laptop circa 1993. He'll start prying the case open and cutting pins off the 7900 :) I'd pay so much to see that.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
That is a BIG NO. You cannot upgrade your graphics card or integrated chip. There are zero manufacture's that offer this upgrade ability. Even if they had made it that way none of the manufactures will even sell you a new one. They would be more inclinded to sell you a new one. Intel is however working on a new notebook standard with a few oems to create a standard for components but dont hold your breath.

is there no hope?, exactly what upgrads can be done to a laptop?

You can add 2D graphics and very basic 3D via an add-in PCMCIA card, but that won't be an upgrade, nowadays only useable as a second/third monitor solution for 2D work.

As has been mentioned you can increase CPU, RAM, and HDD.
You can also increase graphics ability but only if you have the right rigs with, as has already been mentioned, AXIOM (ATi) or MXM (nVidia) expansion slots.

And as I've said before the cost and trouble of finding a graphics board that fits your thermal limits, and then replacing is usually not worth it. Makes more sense to sell your laptop and then buy a newer one with better features you want.

Laptops do keep their value better than desktops and yours is fairly recent, you could think about selling it if you're really looking to do some gaming on it, but otherwise you're hooped.