SIP Messages and Media Session

Hi all,

Suppose we have two UAs that one invites the other, then they start a media
session and then the
connection is terminated. How exactly the media session is being terminated?
I mean, one of the UA terminates the Media Session and then sends a BYE SIP
message to the other party;
or once the media session is opened and the UA decide to close it will send
first a BYE message and
then will close the media session?

UA1 UA2
|-----------> INVITE
<-----------| 100 TRYING
<-----------| 180 RINGING
<-----------| 200 OK
|-----------> ACK

|-----------> Open Media Session
|-----------> Close Media Session

|-----------> BYE
<-----------| 200 OK

or......

UA1 UA2
|-----------> INVITE
<-----------| 100 TRYING
<-----------| 180 RINGING
<-----------| 200 OK
|-----------> ACK

|-----------> Open Media Session
|-----------> BYE
|-----------> Close Media Session
<-----------| 200 OK

Thank you very much in advance.

Anastacio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Suppose we have two UAs that one invites the other, then they start a media
> session and then the
> connection is terminated. How exactly the media session is being terminated?
> I mean, one of the UA terminates the Media Session and then sends a BYE SIP
> message to the other party;
> or once the media session is opened and the UA decide to close it will send
> first a BYE message and
> then will close the media session?

RFC3261 section 15.1.1: "The UAC MUST consider the session terminated (and
therefore stop sending or listening for media) as soon as the BYE request
is passed to the client transaction."

So first send BYE, then close the media session.

BTW, your schema below is perhaps incorrect for the Open Media Session. UA2
can start to send media as soon a SDP is received, generally in the INVITE.
UA2 must be ready to receive the media as soon it send a SDP, generally in
the 180 or in the 200.
So in this case if the media session is opened after receiving the ACK, the
beginning of the media can be lost. (This is also known as the "hello
issue", because one of the two parties does not hear the other party saying
"hello")

> UA1 UA2
> |-----------> INVITE
> <-----------| 100 TRYING