Sign in with
Your question

A8N32-SLI Deluxe and the ACPI Problem.

Last response: in Motherboards
April 14, 2006 10:13:32 PM

Today I began to put together the following components:

A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo (running clock multiplier x10 - no overclocking)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2x 512mb Corsair DDR400 memory (@ 200)
Leadtek Geforce GT 7800
Western Digital WD1200JB HDD
500W 12V PSU

To start with it all went together quite well, CPU, RAM & GFX card. The thing beeped at us and we were happy. :wink:

However we're now entrenched in a fight with the BSOD:

'The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant...' etc...

It pops up as soon as Windows is about to begin installation - letting us proceed no further.

The mobo came with the 1009 BIOS, I upped it to 1103, no change, and took it down to 0703, no change. I've tried disabling ACPI in the BIOS. That removes the BSOD, but the thing just hangs on a black screen instead.

I'm concerned, to be honest. I've read that enabling the Parallel Port can help in this situation, but checking the BIOS it's certainly not disabled (maybe there's another way to alter that I don't know) ... or that slipstreaming Windows XP SP2 into an installation can assist.
Anyway I've been scouring the net looking for answers to this one (a nice Bank Holiday weekend to put the PC together is turning into a nightmare :p  ), and thought a cry for help here would be most sensible. :D 

Is it likely to be the RAM (too cheap? wrong timings - what might be correct?), do we need more juice from the PSU? Any thoughts?

If anyone could assist with further suggestions or tips I'd be most grateful.
May 20, 2006 4:19:10 PM

I also had the very same issue with my A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo and after digging around I found the 1205 BIOS update worked like a charm.

I did notice that my parellel port was disabled in the BIOS today and when I enabled it, the resulting reboot was a BSOD. (Couldn't see what the error was b/c of an immediate reboot). I'm guessing the 1205 update disabled the parellel port to "fix" the problems we were running into.
May 23, 2006 11:39:53 AM

Read this post:

Beyond Unreal: ACPI BSOD

The steps described by antera309 worked beautifully for me when I got the ACPI BSOD when installing Windows XP Pro SP2.

Having looked at some other forums, I keep the following disabled at all times. (Obviously, if you need any of the following, you should enable them. :wink: )

Primary IDE (Master & Slave) - Not Installed (changed from Auto)
Serial ATA 3&4 - Disabled.
Parallel, Serial, Game, Midi - Disabled
USB legacy support - disabled.
APM - disabled.
Firewire (1394) - disabled.
Lan 2 (Marvell Yukon) - disabled.
Silicon Image SATA controller - disabled.

Having disabled everything I don't need, my system is very stable. :D 

System specs:
A8N32-SLI Deluxe (BIOS 1009)
Athlon64 X2 4400+
2x1GB DDR400 RAM
Secondary IDE Master: Lite-on DVDRW
Secondary IDE Slave: Lite-on DVD
SATA 1: WD 74GB Raptor
SATA 2: WD 320GB 7200RPM
Related resources
May 23, 2006 12:33:34 PM

hey duds

i'm willing to by the A8N32-SLI Deluxe at the end of my summer holidays . but i not 100% convinced of buying it as many users in this beloved forum had some problems with the mentioned mobo! and they were sort of turning me off in buying the A8n32-sli deluxe. ( it will be my first build and willing to be trouble free, newbie here )

do you think i should still purchase it ?
(well i like asus mobo! i'm still running the A7N8X-E deluxe and runs solid rock even while playing NFSMW! )

thanks for the help anyways
May 23, 2006 12:57:01 PM

Quote:
hey duds

i'm willing to by the A8N32-SLI Deluxe at the end of my summer holidays . but i not 100% convinced of buying it as many users in this beloved forum had some problems with the mentioned mobo! and they were sort of turning me off in buying the A8n32-sli deluxe. ( it will be my first build and willing to be trouble free, newbie here )

(well i like asus mobo! i'm still running the A7N8X-E deluxe and runs solid rock even while playing NFSMW! )

thanks for the help anyways

If I had the choice, then no, I would buy something else. Although when it is working, this mobo is very good, getting it to this stage took a lot of research on the net.

But then, I don't know of any other board I can suggest. I used to use an ABIT nForce2 board which was very solid, but since the board was pretty much the last nForce2 board before nForce3 became widespread, they had a lot of time to iron out all the problems. nForce4 is still relatively new.

Overall as a company, I can definitely recommend ASUS, just not this board. I have also used MSI boards in the past which I was very happy with.

Sorry this isn't much help, but here's some points.
1. Firstly, decide on which chipset you want: NVIDIA or ATI.
(ATI's latest chipset has had some very good reviews, though see last point)

2. Look on various manufacturers website and check what they're latest mobos are for the particular chipset you are after.

3. Check out internet & forums to see if there are any serious issues with the board. (Though with any mobo, someone invariably will have an issue with it.)

4. One last big point: always take product reviews with a pinch of salt.
Based on the reviews of A8N32-SLI Deluxe, I decided to go for this board and look at the problems its given me and many others!
May 23, 2006 1:37:37 PM

well maxpower thanks for ur reply and sugestions

my bro had a gigabyte mobo with a duron installed but didn't survive as we expected!!
( about 3 years )!! unfortunatly i don't know if it didn't survive because

1) the mobo had some problems which were covered by upgrades ( bios, extra software etc ..... i didnot build this rig myself) or

2) because of the bad power supply we are being provided by the power station ( lights dim and brightens, power cut off ....... especially in summer, or coz of some sort of overload )

and now my bro owns the same mobo the A7N8x-E deluxe with an athlon xp and solid rock till now

I'think i will search 4 another socket 939 from the Asus range
and keep ur sugestions epecially the chipset think

im a little disapionted that asus have such a good mobo which doesnot work well.... its about time asus re-model the A8N32-Sli D and make a good fortune out of it

i will post my prospect rig late August thanks
May 23, 2006 3:07:08 PM

juvealert, here's something to get you started.

Check out Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe.

Review here: Trusted Reviews

This is based on ATI Xpress 3200 CrossFire chipset and if you're considering an ATI gfx card, I would definitely check this out.

Once you've checked out the reviews, I'd recommend hunting through some forums (I also use BeyondUnreal forums a lot) to see if there are any major issues with this mobo.

If you need an NVIDIA system, you'll have to get an nForce4 chipset, but having looked around the NVIDIA forums, there seems to be issues with NF4 and its not mobo specific (people having problems with ASUS, MSI, Epox boards).

Given the choice, I would avoid nForce4 all together, but that's just my personal opinion.

Good luck designing your new system! :D 
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2006 5:17:32 AM

Quote:

NO! The PCI slots next to the PCI-E slots cannot be used because of your video cards cooler they're basically useless, the M/B layout really sucks I wish I'd paid more attention to it before I bought it, the Clear CMOS jumper is located at the rear of the 2nd PCI-E slot which with a 2nd video card installed for SLI mode the CMOS jumper is under the video card, a rather stupid place to locate the CMOS jumper.

Soundblaster X-FI soundcards have sound and video distortion occur on some games like F.E.A.R. when playing in SLI Mode, and to top it off mine just flat quit and refused to do anything and is presently in RMA transit, but check my sig if you want a good M/B I don't have the first complaint about the EPoX 9NPA3 SLI, it has active chipset cooling instead of the heatpipe ASUS has, CMOS is located in an accessable location, has 2 usable PCI slots, X-FI not the first problem, and OCs well.
May 27, 2006 8:07:58 AM

thanks for ur suggestions 4ryan6

well to tell u the truth i'm not an OC enthusiast coz
1) in my country it gets very hot in summer its already about 30celcius at the moment and
2) during summer power is not that stable

and so i don't think of oc.

havein the best cooling system is always in my mind and i think i'd better look for a mobo which gives excellent performance

though i keep ur mobo in mind although i own an asus mobo and thanks god it still works fine and i'm very satisfied about it.

tahnks for the help any ways
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2006 12:09:04 AM

Quote:
i own an asus mobo and thanks god it still works fine and i'm very satisfied about it.

As do I an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe running an AMD XP3200+ Barton = My wifes rig, and another ASUS A7N8X-X single channel DDR running an AMD 2700+ Tbred = Used for video capture and secondary gaming rig.

So I'm really not a bash ASUS fan, its just the A8N32 SLI Deluxe M/B has issues, and I'm just trying to warn anyone thinking about purchasing one to consider the negatives I mentioned that the M/B sports, before they actually buy one.

Even though anyone can get a dud M/B as I stated mine is presently a dead issue and I have just received confirmation NEWEGG has shipped a brand new M/B back to me, so KUDOS for NEWEGG !

I wasn't trying to suggest you get into OCing, just that the EPoX was good for it! OK
May 29, 2006 4:22:50 AM

I bought a computer from Cyberpower a few months ago with the A8N32-SLI Deluxe with a 4400 chip and a 7800 GTX. It worked ok for a few weeks, except for a strange flicker across the screen when ending some games. I updated all the drivers to the mobo, sound card, video card and manoitor. Then one night when coming home from dinner with someone, I saw the same screen as you posted. Nothing worked right, but I could sometimes, and only sometimes, start in safe mode. After days of following Cyberpower's suggestions, they sent me a new motherboard. Things got worse, programs refused to load. They suggested a few more things, then had me send the whole computer to them so they could trace down the problem and fix it. Weeks later, they still have the computer and I'm left using my son's old computer.

I thought something isolated had happened, but seeing what happened to you, I wonder if there is a major problem with the ASUS board. Don't know what's really wrong, but I wouldn't recommend this board to anyone at this point.
May 29, 2006 5:40:05 AM

And just a note from the other side I've owned an asus a8n32-sli since they first shipped them and have had no issues with it at all. Started with X2 3800 and 1 gig of memory running raid 0 w/2drives then upgraded to X2 4800 2 gig of memory and switched to a raid 5 w/4drives no issues and no problems. Have read it has issues w/x-fi cards and maxtor plus10 hds but I don't have either of these I use onboard sound and maxtor plus9 hds. As for Confidence's question Maxpower1868 is correct in disabling what you are not using to program the computer and then enable one at a time to install drivers after the system is running. I think there is just too much on the mboard to do it any other way. I have programmed this one twice and used this method both times and havent had a problem. I also have XP pro without sevice pack 1 or 2.
May 29, 2006 4:54:53 PM

A couple things here. I have XP home with service pack 2. That could make a difference, though I doubt it. I checked out several of the forumz on the A8N32 SLI Deluxe and it appears that some are good, while others are terrible. I'm guessing that it relates to a quality control problem at ASUS, not the design of the motherboard itself. As such, it comes down whether you're lucky enough to have gotten a board without problems or you got a board that has problems. Worse, the problematic board can take down other parts with it, making diagnosing and fixing the problems all that much harder.

I have ASUS boards in older computers that cause no problems, so I am assuming that this is a recent trouble with ASUS and I hope they get things going right again. But for now, based on my experience, I couldn't recommend one of their motherboards to someone.
May 29, 2006 5:22:09 PM

I agree that you have a faulty motherboard (or perhaps other components), the actual product line is not to blame.

I have an A8N32-SLI deluxe (and an X-Fi soundcard incidentally) and it works flawlessly. I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 from a genuine Microsoft OEM CD and it worked perfectly first time. And I haven't bothered updating the BIOS with this board.

Specs:

A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego core) @ 5% OC
OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR400 @ 5% OC 2-5-3-2
nVidia 7800GT @ 10% OC w/ Viewsonic VP930b 19" LCD
250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 HDD
Creative X-Fi Platinum w/ Logitech Z-5450 5.1 surround
Antec P150 case w/ 480w PSU
May 29, 2006 5:35:39 PM

well i haven't use this mobo before or installed it, but as everyone is bashing asus down i was just posting this, assembled computers for about 4/5 years now and i always used asus , like every other brand i had some troubles but in the hundreds of boards i had assembled , being low end cost boards ou high end , mostly mid range boards, some amd's to , i have had very little problems, so to me it's a very relaible brand, very user friendly, maybe not the bes oc'ers but very good and stable all around.
May 29, 2006 6:01:31 PM

Quote:
Soundblaster X-FI soundcards have sound and video distortion occur on some games like F.E.A.R. when playing in SLI Mode
I've never had that problem.
May 29, 2006 7:06:16 PM

well thanks duds

i'am using an USB printer not a parrallel and bdw when i get my new rig i'll have it connected to my network.
so as u duds are sayin' and what i'm understanding i will avoid the acpi problem when the parallel port is disabled right ?

could it be that the rising problems are of a particular revision number?
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2006 11:37:08 PM

Quote:
Soundblaster X-FI soundcards have sound and video distortion occur on some games like F.E.A.R. when playing in SLI Mode
I've never had that problem.

Well that does make me feel better seeing as how NewEgg is replacing my dead A8N32-SLI Deluxe with a brand new M/B, maybe my X-FI problems were because of whatever caused the M/B to fail in the first place.

However you may be one of the lucky ones for sure

I appreciate those of you that have posted saying you haven't had any problems, kinda raises my hopes! The wife is going to get the ASUS when it comes in anyway, I just hope its a good one and problem free or I'll never hear the end of it! :wink:
May 30, 2006 7:07:56 AM

hey man can u post the mobo rev. number i would appriciate it and let us know that its working well.

thanks
May 30, 2006 9:51:30 AM

I got the same problem, acpi,updated bios, now get bad pool header, the good news is i got 2000 pro installed no probs, but it don't like the os that much.

if your got a match I got the feul or maybe oxy

asus not liking very much go the a7n8xe deluxe oh yeah power strike no go no more.
May 31, 2006 8:21:07 PM

I ran into this issue while troubleshooting a totally unrelated issue.

It has to do with windows trying to install a proper hal for the acpi. This happens at the very beginning of the installation. I have not yet figured out which issue causes what but there is a couple of things that you may want to try.

Make yourself a slipstreamed xp/sp2 installation disk. This is important. Original xp did not support multiprocessors and therefore installs a wrong hal and you may not be able to boot at all.
Before burning the disk find a file called Txtsetup.sif on xp cd. Edit the value ACPIEnable to 1. By deafault it's 2. This will force the ACPI to be installed without comparing the bios against compatible list. Save the file and burn your slipstreamed cd.

NOW MAKE SURE ACPI IS ENABLED IN BIOS.

Whe starting the installation, just when the windows tells you to hit F6 for 3rd party drivers hit F5 instead (I guess you can hit both in sequence if you need to proceed with drivers). Now you'll see a list of ACPI HAL's. Pick the one you need. I.e. "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" for Dual core AMD. This makes sure that the right hal.dll gets installed.

Install as always.

ACPI and HAl are directly related and dual core cpu running on sigle processor hal can cause problems. Microsoft did have a hotfix for those who installed off the original retail CD. Incorrect hal can make the computer loop on boot, cause 0x0000007e and other errors.

Please post back if this helped anyone. I am currently researching this issue for a slightly different reasons.

Sorry about absence of support links and not the best step-by-step. Going from the memory and have a little time.
June 1, 2006 6:11:24 AM

just a quick note

problem solved but not by the means you say, disable able floppy and acpi also disabled usb legacy, took out asus e616 ata 100 dvd drive replaced with smsung tssl, windows thinks e616 is a harddrive not a dvd, jus a note haven't enable acpi in bios yet have to do that, all powered up very nicely 17 secs to windows doom3 71 fps, 2003 benchmark 11999, I don't know if thats good or bad

a8n32sli deluxe
dual 3800+
px 7600 td tdh
2 gig giel ram
250 gig sata 2 drive

this forum helped a lot thanks
June 1, 2006 1:03:51 PM

The reason that windows is misidentifying your hardware is related to ACPI.

I installed original windows retail version with this board and the resources were so messed up that the cd-rom's were diabled due to the resource conflict with PCI bridge.

I don't think that running without ACPI is a smart thing to do. Buth then again if it works...
June 3, 2006 5:47:52 AM

well the acpi is turned back on.
had my computer consultant here for 6 hours he said evrythings runs fine well still can't get the e616 to be reconised on board but a7v600 no problems there reckonised evrything hardrives and all ata 100 cd rom just not compatable we've just finished benchmarking and i'm quite surprised far cry 100 fps. doom 3 78.1, quake 4 82,

the thing that concerns me now but not a big deal the cpu fan turns on at start up then turns off the board gets to 33c the fan turns back on th com cons says don't concern yourself with it its cool & quite
for 1462$ australian not a bad rig

thanks agian
July 22, 2010 7:08:22 PM

Hi! TRY- Power LED

For those who ain't figured it out yet. If you are using a phat case and the power LED is wired direct to PSU and not to the motherboard; try plugging in an LED across the PLED (POWER LED) terminals, taking care to get the correct polarity. Previously, it was a mess of problems just like all the other folk on the interweb (hanging POST, slow BIOS, USB failure, ACPI BSOD, Playing with Parallel port etc). I tried this and XP pro installed first time with not a single BSOD. I figure if there is no diode in the PLED path mobo may think it is plugged in to a non compliant case. Mine is one of these big silver coolermaster jobbies so beware! If you go nothing to plug it with, find one of those internal audio 4-pin leads and pop the LED straight into the holes in one end (getting correct polarities) and the other end into the mobo with 1 unused hole overlapping. I'd be interested to hear the results.

Regards,
Meat
August 25, 2011 4:27:14 PM

Tried all the above.
However when I reset the CMOS i was able to complete the install :D 

!