My Specs:
3500+ amd64
leadtek 6600gt, pci-ex
a8n-sli, asus
420 watt power supply
74 gig 10000rpm raptor wd hard drive
nec 3520A dvd drive (i think)
standard floppy drive

thats all i can remember right now, but just today my computer started acting up. First off, i wanted to retrieve some old stuff from a wd 160gb hard drive that was already installed in my case, but unplugged. i reconnected it and as i was putting the screws back in, i dropped one, and i heard a metal noise, almost as if it attached to something else, magentically obviously. i think it may of fallen into the case, but i culdnt find it anywhere, inside or outside the case. i got another screw, put it in, started up my computer, and found that the 160gb hard drive had become corrupt. i took it out, and used my computer for about an hour or so. After an hour, it crashed. i restarted it, but it wuld crash before even getting to the login area. The only solution was unplugging the sata cable from my raptor and putting it back in. that worked for an hour or so before the problem repeated itself. I redid it and then an hour later, same thing. this time, the system simply rebooted itself before even loading windows xp. I tried my previous solution, but it didnt work. Every time, a screen popped up asking me whether i wanted to load windows normally, in safe mode with a bunch of different options, or revert to my last settings. i tried every single one, and every single time, a reboot two seconds after i've seleted an option.

I've tried unplugging the hard drive, which correctly gave me a message saying disk reading error. I tried unplugging my dvd drive, but still rebooted my computer. I've also tried reseating the sata power connector to my hard drive without avail.
Could it be an overheating problem?
My tempteratures are reading normal, around 30 degrees for both cpu n video card.
A mobo problem?
Ram?

thanks for ur help
Alex

UPDATE: Tried disabling extra ide and sata drives. Tried disabling USB and firewire. Tried reseating CPU heatsink (zalman). Tried reseating graphics card. Appears my problem may be a corrupt kernel32 file. When I put in my cd to use the recovery console, i changed the boot priority to use cd first, but it tried to get info from the hard drive. Put cd as number one, and disabled all others, and now it says disk read error. it doesnt seem to be able to read the xp cd:S
Any help GREATLY appreciated
April 15, 2006 3:58:02 AM

Well, the first thing I would do is try and find that screw. Remove it and see what happens.

That motherboard (A8N-SLI) is horrid. It been nothing but trouble for many a user, Asus really should stop selling it. Make sure BIOS sees your hard drives, and try to repair your Windows install. If this does not work, format the drive and try installing Windows again. If it fails this time or fails during the install, you might had faulty RAM. Try Memtest86 or Prime95 to see if you can isolate problems, after you reinstall Windows.
April 15, 2006 2:40:57 PM

Quote:
Well, the first thing I would do is try and find that screw. Remove it and see what happens.

That motherboard (A8N-SLI) is horrid. It been nothing but trouble for many a user, Asus really should stop selling it. Make sure BIOS sees your hard drives, and try to repair your Windows install. If this does not work, format the drive and try installing Windows again. If it fails this time or fails during the install, you might had faulty RAM. Try Memtest86 or Prime95 to see if you can isolate problems, after you reinstall Windows.

thanks for the reply
i've tried looking for the screw, but i still cant find it. I'll do a quick search in a couple of minutes. My bios recognizes my hard drive, dvd writer, floppy drive, all properly. I've already tried switching out between my four RAM sticks, so i doubt that unless all four suddenly went, that it's a RAM problem. I'm gunna try to do a repair and replace that kernel32.dl file, and see if that works. If not, i'll do a complete reformat and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the help. I'll also try memtest86 and prime95 if nothing seems to work.
Alex
Related resources
April 15, 2006 2:58:48 PM

Definately get the screw out. It may behind the board. If it makes contact with the board, it can short it out. Turn the computer off and unplug the computer so the board is getting no power. Turn the case in different positions until the screw drops out.
April 15, 2006 4:55:40 PM

shouldn't the screw technically short the computer out as soon as it turns on though, and not reboot it just as the computer is trying to load windows?
!