AMD fanboys on the defense.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
It seems that lately all the amd fanboys have been on the defense. Their are alot of AMD fanboy sites that are scrambling to discredit conroe .i.e sharikou.blogspot.com, geek.com. Now I find it interesting that most of these guys take it so personal and go out of their way to defend a company like AMD....I mean it is almost down right fanatical. Now I'm not saying that intel doesn't have fanboys, cuz they do, but no where near the level of devotion and I'd take a bullet in the chest for AMD extreme. Is there a reason for this.......I just can't think of any other company that has this much of a loyal following.....yes even the apple geeks are not as loyal to their beloved apple. I hope the K8L works for AMD or we're going to start seeing amd fanboy sites saying that intel is the devil and they funded hitler during WWII........oh wait they probably already wrote that...........All hail AMD!!!!!!

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
It seems that lately all the amd fanboys have been on the defense. Their are alot of AMD fanboy sites that are scrambling to discredit conroe .i.e sharikou.blogspot.com, geek.com. Now I find it interesting that most of these guys take it so personal and go out of their way to defend a company like AMD....I mean it is almost down right fanatical. Now I'm not saying that intel doesn't have fanboys, cuz they do, but no where near the level of devotion and I'd take a bullet in the chest for AMD extreme. Is there a reason for this.......I just can't think of any other company that has this much of a loyal following.....yes even the apple geeks are not as loyal to their beloved apple. I hope the K8L works for AMD or we're going to start seeing amd fanboy sites saying that intel is the devil and they funded hitler during WWII........oh wait they probably already wrote that...........All hail AMD!!!!!!

Low self esteems, with a bit of testosterone.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Who knows, I could never figure out why someone would defend something they aren't even a part of, unless of course they own shares, then I could understand.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

Word

Whatever that means.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Word

Whatever that means.

Word.

tamalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
sh!t, they found I got shares *goes to hide them in the bathroom*

(and btw, werent intel fanboys doing the same during the reing of the A64's? :p )

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005

You're right about fanaticism (although, if one cares to be honest with oneself, we're all a bit...) and, about the pretense discredibility some people are trying to put on Intel's products. It's a very complex matter (fanaticism) and I shall resume it to its lightest form: preference.
Apple fans followed a brand, a design, a performant platform and a way of life, computing-wise; Intel fans typically followed power (in GHz and even now), and the actual undisputable, pervasive and allmighty computing giant's steps. AMD fans are in a class of their own: they mostly praise GHz-per-performance-per power (heat)-per-price; and, AMD gave them that, for the last half-decade.
Now, the landscape is changing; we're still IN the transition... it's tough to have to step down the podium, even if it's for the silver medal.
At the end, I still believe it's not a matter of who wins, but a matter of scale: The big one should win in their league and so should the small one. AMD had the chance (twice in a lifetime? Who knows...) of detroning the hardcore, for a while... and what a blow it was! A Hammer one!
But, Intel maintained its faithful crowd of fans with NetBurst, right?

I, for one, admire computing technology and the blurred meanders of chip design. I admire all that's been done in the past, I admire the K8, NetBurst (surprise?!), Core & whatever it is to come. I only hope it's good & interesting.

Cheers!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005

If anyone is wondering...I try to avoid "fanboy" forums altogether. Main reason is that the folks in the forum are usually set in their way of thinking, and God Himself could not change their minds, so I figure there's no point in even trying.

Not sure why I'm speaking in this one--but just in case somebody who is willing to be wrong is reading this, wanted to let you know--that's why this is probably the only fanboy thread I ever post in. I'll watch for meaningful replies, but no more replies here.

See ya.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
yeah, you're right, it's pretty hard to change their minds. I'm just glad I'm not really biased one way or the other, I have a preference for Intel though, but I would have happily bought an AMD during the Netburst fiasco, no denying, it wasn't a great processor, but it was alright. And the 65nm is pretty good. :)

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

You're right about fanaticism (although, if one cares to be honest with oneself, we're all a bit...) and, about the pretense discredibility some people are trying to put on Intel's products. It's a very complex matter (fanaticism) and I shall resume it to its lightest form: preference.
Apple fans followed a brand, a design, a performant platform and a way of life, computing-wise; Intel fans typically followed power (in GHz and even now), and the actual undisputable, pervasive and allmighty computing giant's steps. AMD fans are in a class of their own: they mostly praise GHz-per-performance-per power (heat)-per-price; and, AMD gave them that, for the last half-decade.
Now, the landscape is changing; we're still IN the transition... it's tough to have to step down the podium, even if it's for the silver medal.
At the end, I still believe it's not a matter of who wins, but a matter of scale: The big one should win in their league and so should the small one. AMD had the chance (twice in a lifetime? Who knows...) of detroning the hardcore, for a while... and what a blow it was! A Hammer one!
But, Intel maintained its faithful crowd of fans with NetBurst, right?

I, for one, admire computing technology and the blurred meanders of chip design. I admire all that's been done in the past, I admire the K8, NetBurst (surprise?!), Core & whatever it is to come. I only hope it's good & interesting.

Cheers!

I would argue that there seems to be a distinct difference between an AMD fanboy and an intel fanboy. It seems to me that most blog sites, forums, and for that matter tech sites are full of AMD (closet) fanboys that always seem to put a spin on news that quite frankly favors AMD. I would point out the recent news about AMD raising there product prices, well guess what that means........"AMD is raising prices because they can't keep up with demand." Now I'm not saying that AMD shouldn't raise prices....hell that's the american way, suppy and demand, but if intel was to raises prices then they are seen as a greedy company who want's to suck every last dime out of us.....oh and for that matter if they drop prices that is still seen as an evil scheme to lower poor little defenseless AMD's margins and take market share back....ahhhh how dare they do that. AMD on the other hand takes a 3 point share away from evil intel and everyone is happy.....Not to get off topic but this is kind of what like watching FOX news channel report the news......

endyen

Splendid
Here is a thought.
What if those you claim are Amd fanboys, are actually performance fanboys, who are trying to prevent Intel's chosen benchmarks from influencing the the buying public?
Personnally, I do believe that the Conroe will perform as advertized, in those hand picked benchmarks. Reality is, that the Amd chip did not perform as well in those benches, as I would expect an X2 4800 to do.
Conroe will be better than netburst. Will it be better than A64? I dont know, for sure, but I think not.

RichPLS

Champion
Believe what you will about the numbers, but a preponderance of the evidence purports that Conroe is indeed faster in virtually every facet compared to A64's... but nevermind that for now... Most of us will have to wait out another couple of months to see for ourselves...
Time will tell...

emd

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
well, I was surprised too, but in the foreign countries the price of atlon fx-60 hits the 1400 usd against the 500 of conroe (i hope) and the resell value of intel chips if you need to, seems to me a very reasonable rebate in the high end processors.(I have the chance to oc an opteron 165 but as a noob in oc...the steppings etc) the amd prices are for true fans

endyen

Splendid
but a preponderance of the evidence purports that Conroe is indeed faster in virtually every facet compared to A64's
You mean the proponderence of Intel PR info purports that right?
I dont buy Intel PR, any more than offers to buy a bridge.
Give me something that can actually be considered evidence.
Everything I've seen suggests that the Amd system in Intel's benchmarks, was severely crippled.
It would be more correct to say "The preponderence of evidence proves that Intel's staff are incompetent at setting up an Amd system.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

:idea: Making a thread like this serves no purpose other than flame bait. It's no better than what the AMD faithful are doing with their threads. Let's try and keep this soap opera out of the forums.

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
He's right! It means what it says. Admit it. Nothing last forever, like November rain. :D

Hellz yeah a G n' R reference.......I was like in middle school. Ahhhh the good ol'd dayz. Good weed loud music and loose girls.......ok I lie about the girls part.......

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

:idea: Making a thread like this serves no purpose other than flame bait. It's no better than what the AMD faithful are doing with their threads. Let's try and keep this soap opera out of the forums.

Actually this hasn't turned into a fanboy flame war so far..........right. All I'm trying to say is that it seems to me that there seems to be a bias towards AMD in the tech community. Why???? Is it a..... well lets just root for the nice corp AMD............ against the evil corp intel........... or is it that intel ripped a bunch of you off, or maybe it's the lets just root for the underdog. The truth is that there is a techy bias that favors AMD, and it's kind of like the old ford vs. chevy competition (that's for you gearheads) but on a more intense level. I mean come on when you start reading stuff like "die! intel die! die! die!!!!" That's a whole different level.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I would argue that there seems to be a distinct difference between an AMD fanboy and an intel fanboy. (...)

That's the whole point: that kind of talk clearly defines the eternal & very actual 'if I'm white you must be black; but, if you're white, I'm whiter than you' nonsense. This is valid universally and it's an à priori (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/a+priori) statement.
It really doesn't matter what a fanboy/girl is if the keyword is fanaticism.
I'm pretty shure that, if we all knew a bit more (or nothing at all! :wink: ) about what we're talking about, the keyword would change to preference, support, empathy, admiration... "When's that bit more enough?" you may ask. Well, there's no à priori answer; that's the beauty of it. This, should be valid universally, in my opinion.

Cheers!

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The forums has done a complete 180. I remember when I first came here a little over nine months ago any Intel fanboy who posted favorable evidence was blasted by a chorus of AMD fans confident in AMD's superiority. Now it seems the tides are shifting, and the Intel fans are coming out to gloat. I'd just caution them, one day the tables will turn.