AMD x2 3800+ for gaming?

I'm pretty new to building computer's and i was wondering if the AMD x2 3800+ was an ideal cpu for a computer centered around gaming and budgeting. My price range for a cpu is around $300. Any input would be helpful.

HOw would the
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego compare to the amd x2 3200+?

And how much of a performance increase can i expect with the x2 3200+ compared to my current system.... (pre-manufactured): amd 3200+ xp barton.

Thanks again.
12 answers Last reply
More about 3800 gaming
  1. Quote:
    I'm pretty new to building computer's and i was wondering if the AMD x2 3800+ was an ideal cpu for a computer centered around gaming and budgeting. My price range for a cpu is around $300. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
    That processor will serve you well.
  2. Yes, it would do very well for what you want to do.
  3. Yes it will do very well indeed.Excpecialy if you want to OC it :)
  4. It will be super great in the future when games are optimized for dual core.
  5. Added comparision.
  6. Added another question.
  7. Quote:
    and games will start requiring a dual core.

They will? So you won't be able to use a single core AT ALL? Will regular apps like MS Office require a dual core? When will this all happen? I'm hoping that I don't regret buying an A64 3700+ Sandy.
  8. Quote:

They will? So you won't be able to use a single core AT ALL? Will regular apps like MS Office require a dual core? When will this all happen? I'm hoping that I don't regret buying an A64 3700+ Sandy.

Office is already multithreaded but those type of applications don't gain anything from the multithreading of their code base.
  9. Quote:
    It will be super great in the future when games are optimized for dual core.

That or the "reverse hyperthreading" stuff xD
  10. Quote:
    It will be super great in the future when games are optimized for dual core.

That or the "reverse hyperthreading" stuff xD

That's pretty awesome, as well.
  11. Yup, if AMD scores that one Intel will be O.o wtf?!!! why in the HELL didn't we think of that xDxD. Imagine Intel's 8 core processors working hard on unoptimized apps and AMD cooling their b4lls with fresh air thanks to RHT
  12. Quote:

I don't think we'll see any products requiring multi-core any time soon. What you will see are games running in two or more processes, something that doesn't happen (much?) today. IF a game launches two processes, on the 3700+ they run on the same core. If the game does the same thing on a 3800 X2, the OS can assign the processes to different cores. Either way, the app should still run.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Computer AMD Product