real conroe test by victorwang

clarkclark

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Real Conroe test will only come out when the REAL CONROE comes out. Maybe this is right, maybe it's BS--time alone will tell, not theinquirer.net .
he is the first guy tested this cpu in the world. The cpu core is conroe and can only work on the 965 mb now. It is not fake~ he has the photos of his rig

clarkclark

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
what is the difference between this and "real prototype"?
1.the improved bios
2.the improved cihp

so, this score is lower than the "real prototypy" score . And the scores later must be better than the scores now!

RichPLS

Champion
The difference is it is not official, the production CPU will have finishing touches and factory tweaking complete, and should be a bit faster and more stable than the prototype.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well, going back to Intels history... chipset... chipset... chipsets!!

Of course there are 975(?) chipsets that supposively will work, but still, if it isn't officially out there, you can't be 100 percent sure.

I still can't believe that guy didn't fix or update pics for CPU-Z. That 3 volts is driving me nutz... :lol:

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I agree I would like to build a new machine soon here but at the same time I would like to be reasonably sure that Conroe will work with what I buy hehehe reminds me of the P4's some socket 478's would work with the "hyperthreading" CPU's and some would not....

clarkclark

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
so, do u think the conroe is the last generation of LGA775? if the socket type won't change in the near future, i would replace my old k7 (xp-m 2500+ @ 2.4G)to conroe.Now, 965 supports the conroe and for sure 975/955 will support it by updating the bios.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Very impressive!!! Although I'm not too sure about the voltage though. It might that the CPU-z is just registering it wrong like my bro's Gateway pc with Pentium D 820 with a voltage of 3.7v according to CPU-z. But I do believe with it's PI results. That's just amazing even for a prototype chip.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I think it's safe to say that the LGA775 socket will last a while. I haven't heard of any replacements planned. In 2007, the quad core Kentfield should work as a drop-in replacement for the Conroe launch motherboards, the high-end ones anyways. The only concern is whether some changes will be needed when Intel goes 45nm in the second half of 2007. The socket will remain the same, but some motherboard tweaks might be needed if there really is large power savings to be had. The 45nm refresh should also add more cache and some architectural changes. Seeing that the 945 and 955 motherboards supported the 90nm-65nm transitions it's likely that the 965 and 975 motherboards will support the 65nm-45nm transition so there's no reason to push back further than Conroe.

clarkclark

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
i agree with you. the pricing, i am not sure how much will be for the quad core cpus...maybe i will cost 70% more than conroe.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
The quad-core Kentsfield is supposed to replace the dual core Extreme Edition so theoretically the MSRP should be the same at $999. Another user has pointed out to me that the actual retail price for Extreme Editions is higher than that, so I'm just noting that now.

mad_fitzy

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
well the super pi test seems to be off when u check the scores down the bottom for his x2 4600+ rig. 39 secs seems way to slow. i get 41 on my xp barton

clarkclark

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
super PI doesn't support dual core processing...if u have dual core 2.8G, the result will be very close with single core 2.8G..

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The quad-core Kentsfield is supposed to replace the dual core Extreme Edition so theoretically the MSRP should be the same at $999. Another user has pointed out to me that the actual retail price for Extreme Editions is higher than that, so I'm just noting that now.

So in a sense that would make it only 250$ per CPU !!! hmmm actualy not a bad deal now that I think about it lol well assuming the money gods are kind to me I may end up owning one of those some day :)

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
that`s impresive...i can hardly wait to put my hands on one of it....

i`ll sell my bike..hopefully i can raise enough money to buy one of it :D

first impresion is indeed a quite high voltage reported in CPU-z...

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
This is just as bad as the shokiruegue.blog crap......... Wait for it...wait for it....wait for it......OK just wait.

Well--this one might just be a little more legit.

Here's how I see it: If Intel's Conroe doesn't live up to its expectations, Intel could be in some serious trouble. Not only are they behind AMD, but they are deceptive liars, too. Not a good thing.

For that reason, I believe Conroe will take the performance crown from AMD--at least for now. I could be wrong, but if I am, Intel will take a serious nosedive in market share. I doubt Intel is truly this stupid to lie about the future product though--they have the power and sheer grip on the market to fire back, and they'd be fools not to.

My 2 cents anyway. BTW this thread does appear so far to be legit and non-fanboy--that's why I'm still here :)

cubicleslave

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
About a week ago (maybe even a little longer) I think I saw some mention in the THG forumz that Intel had sent out engineering samples of Conroe to several people. Then the intervening silence made me start wondering if I was dreaming. Like, where are the benchmarks. Now I know I wasn't dreaming. But I am wondering when the rest of the lucky ES receivers will post benchies? I thought some established webzine sites like anandtech or even THG were included. Wish I could find those posts again. The posts by victorwang also made a few things make more sense. His apparent struggles to get the setup running, and the general flakiness, explains to me why Intel only allowed "their" benchmarks to be run at IDF. Wouldn't look good if they allowed unrestricted benchmark installations, and a bunch of them crashed the system at such a high profile venue. This also explains why Intel hasn't already released the Conroe. The platform still needs some ironing out, and not because of some conspiracy.