last minute changes

john1818

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
gonna buy this stuff next week. any recommended changes?
case= centurion 532
ps= hiper 580w modular
cpu= x2 3800
vga= powercolour x1900xt
hdd= 2 seagate 7200.9's raid 0
mem ocz gold extreme 2048 cl2
mb= ecs extreme kn1
os= xp home
sc= xfi fatal1ty
dvdrw= nec 4551

system is mostly for gaming and video encoding

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
If you want change the X2 3800 for an Opteron 165 which is a better overclocker and gives you a full 1MB of cache per core.

ECS?! Yikes! Use DFI Lanparty Ultra D instead. It will overclock really nice, and you can get your Opteron 165 to FX-60 speeds.

Edit: like the other poster said.. XP Pro

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
What really is the benefit of XP Pro other than having more options in networking? I mean, do things run smoother, does it produce gold, and does microsoft for once not suck? :D No, really, what are the benefits.

Also, yeah, I really no longer ever recommend the X2 chip as the opty is just so amazingly good.

DDay

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
What really is the benefit of XP Pro other than having more options in networking? I mean, do things run smoother, does it produce gold, and does microsoft for once not suck? :D No, really, what are the benefits.

Also, yeah, I really no longer ever recommend the X2 chip as the opty is just so amazingly good.

DDay

Features of Pro not in Home:

It's MUCH more stable
Allows you to use Remote Desktop which is just cool
Networking things such as logging onto a domain
Support for dual processor machines
Not all users are assumed to be administrators- you can control access to the PC by user (give kids an account where they cannot screw around with control panels or get online for example)
Dynamic Disk Support (software based RAID)
IIS support to use ASP.Net/VB.Net for development or to host a website on your PC
Fax software built in
Support for Encrypting File System (EFS) to encrypt any file on your hard drive

Unless you are on an extreme budget, Pro is the only way to go in my opinion.

Syzler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Can someone tell me what makes the XFi Fatal1ty version worth an extra $110? other than that turd burglers name on the box? I'm not just bitching, i'd really like to know. (I have an unreasonable chip on my shoulder over the Fatal1ty line of overpriced crap)

Oh, and I agree....ECS?? you have a good list there, why ECS? You work for them or something? No other reason to buy IMO.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Yup yup, pro has more options (who the hell actually uses remote desktop, though???) but is in no way more stable! For it to be more stable it would have to be significantly different, and then it would have just been Windows 2000.

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Asus A8N-E for teh win. It costs about $90 USD, so that should be no more than... 70 pounds (what's the hotkey for the pound sign?). However, I don't know the exchange rates, but I'm sure the pound is worth more than the dollar.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Yup yup, pro has more options (who the hell actually uses remote desktop, though???) but is in no way more stable! For it to be more stable it would have to be significantly different, and then it would have just been Windows 2000.

I use it almost everyday when I need to remote into my server at the office. It makes it so much easier than having to go to the server room. But for the average home user, ya lol.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I use it almost everyday when I need to remote into my server at the office. It makes it so much easier than having to go to the server room. But for the average home user, ya lol.

There's always one person who uses the feature you think nobody could possibly find a practical use for.

Any other obscure features of XP pro that people acutally use?

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
XP Pro not any more stable than Home. Same code. Not all ECS boards are crap. This board was reviewed fairly well from sites that I trust. Simply saying all ECS boards are crap is like saying all Asus and DFI boards are golden, because they aren't.

john1818

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
ok i think i have it finalized

case= centurion 532
p/s= ocz modstream 520w
cpu= opteron 165 (oc)
mem= ocz platinum pc3200 2048mb dual kit c 2-3-2-5
vga= powercolor x1900xt
hdd= 2 maxtor 250g diamondmax plus 10 16mb cache (raid)
mb= epox ep-9npa+ ultra
s/c= xfi fatal1ty
dvdrw= nec nd-3550a
dvd rom= lg 16x
o/s= xp home

just 2 questions. is the 1900xt really that loud. and would the asus a8ne be better than the epox?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

There's always one person who uses the feature you think nobody could possibly find a practical use for.

Any other obscure features of XP pro that people acutally use?

Server admins almost always remote into their servers now. You do not touch the server directly unless it has crashed or you are doing hardware maintence. Remote desktop or PCAnywhere is VERY useful for this task.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Looks good, glad you changed that PS. Home will be fine for you. I have XP Pro and I use Remote Desktop quite often but Home should be fine. Do you really need the Fatality? I have one but not sure it's worth the extra $$$ although I use the remote and front plug-ins often.

john1818

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
i don't need the fatal1ty, i just want it for front panel. and i'm hoping that the x-ram ends up being useful, rather than just a gimmick

Qwertyleo

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
gonna buy this stuff next week. any recommended changes?
case= centurion 532
ps= hiper 580w modular
cpu= x2 3800
vga= powercolour x1900xt
hdd= 2 seagate 7200.9's raid 0
mem ocz gold extreme 2048 cl2
mb= ecs extreme kn1
os= xp home
sc= xfi fatal1ty
dvdrw= nec 4551

system is mostly for gaming and video encoding

power supply is spot on mine hasnt failed me yet :), cpu geta opy if you can find it cheap enough I couldnt :-, if after hard drive speeds maybe twin WD raptors instead?, your getting a pci-e mobo maybe one of teh newer crossfire boards? + goes witha better path for the x1900, xp pro or xp mce (pro with extras) depending what you want/need, rest dont really mater

john1818

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
the raptor is too expensive for the speed increase it seems to provide. i'll just have to put up with the 5 seconds extra the comp will take to boot up.
the 1900xt is my 1 luxury purchase i've made myself afford, twin raptors would involve kidney sale!!