some help on possible overheating issue

A_Radical

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Hey guys! I decided to join these boards because I'm in a need of a little help.

Recently my PSU took a dive and took my MB with it. I got a new PSU and ordered a new MB, which I just got today. I put everything back together and on start up I get the siren beep code, seemingly indicating that my CPU is overheating.

After it first happened I reseated my RAM and CPU and heatsink/fan and tried it again and it started to boot up and got all the way to the XP splash screen and then shut off.

I haven't got that far since. Now all I get is the siren beep code and it shutting off. The CPU and heatsink/fan do seem to be hotter than they should be, even though it only comes on for a few seconds.

I've tried making sure the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink were clean, as well as applying a little bit of compound, and reseating them, et cetera.

I'm unsure of what could be happening to cause it to overheat so quickly and could use a little help.

I never had any overheating issues with my last MB, and this new one is very similar. One of my biggest problems is the fact that I don't have any way of testing the CPU or MB.

My CPU is a P4 3.4, socket 775...my new mother board is a D995XBK. Please let me know if I can give any other information that might help someone help me :p.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hey guys! I decided to join these boards because I'm in a need of a little help.

Recently my PSU took a dive and took my MB with it. I got a new PSU and ordered a new MB, which I just got today. I put everything back together and on start up I get the siren beep code, seemingly indicating that my CPU is overheating.

After it first happened I reseated my RAM and CPU and heatsink/fan and tried it again and it started to boot up and got all the way to the XP splash screen and then shut off.

I haven't got that far since. Now all I get is the siren beep code and it shutting off. The CPU and heatsink/fan do seem to be hotter than they should be, even though it only comes on for a few seconds.

I've tried making sure the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink were clean, as well as applying a little bit of compound, and reseating them, et cetera.

I'm unsure of what could be happening to cause it to overheat so quickly and could use a little help.

I never had any overheating issues with my last MB, and this new one is very similar. One of my biggest problems is the fact that I don't have any way of testing the CPU or MB.

My CPU is a P4 3.4, socket 775...my new mother board is a D995XBK. Please let me know if I can give any other information that might help someone help me :p.

When the machine locks up is there any particular hots spots ei; CPU heat sink, NB heat sink, GPU heat sink. As well you might be wise to give addition BIOS information as well it could be a minor issue regarding a setting there as well.

A_Radical

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
It doesn't even get to the point where I can get into setup. It comes on, makes the siren beep code and shuts off.

I'm not sure if the NB heatsink is getting hot or not, but I know that the CPU heatsink does.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I believe you know it already but those four clips on HSF have to be turned clockwise before putting the HSF back. Then you should press the clips diagonally two by two and for all of them you must hear a "click". Otherwise your HSF is not properly seated.
Another thing to have in mind is that LGA775 heat spreader is not flat, hence the fat thermal pad on a boxed cooler. You can check how HSF and IHS interface with each other by taking the CPU out and applying cheapest white thermal paste to the bottom of the HSF and then pressing the CPU IHS against it -- if it doesn't leave filled circle but only white lines along the edges of the CPU then you must use more thermal paste when mounting.
Of course, you should double check that you haven't accidentaly switched or left out some power cables that go to the motherboard.
I would also visually inspect for any bent pins in the socket.