AMD FAB39/40 MAY BE BUILT IN DRESDEN

Would AMD build another FAB in the near term?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Near term no. Long term yes.

Why? because overcapacity is very bad. No use being able to produce 50% more inventory than you can sell. They havent even got fab 36 up to steam yet. They need to get it up and going good and see how well they can meet or exceed market demand before they chunk 2 billion or so into another fab. Perhaps in 3 - 5 years once the expenses of fab 36 are a little better digested then I could see them doing it.

SexBomb

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I believe his near term figure is accurate since 2 years from now AMD will start building their next fab, but your long term seem kinda misleading since this means that they'll start building their fab in 5+ years which will start to be online some time in 2015-16. AMD needs another fab if they ever want to surpass their 30% market share which is possible with fab-36.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
face-profile.jpg

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
And how is AMD gonna do that?
AMD is poor thanks to their horrible market policy
Germany is poor and cant stick them money up their... yeah... like they did last time
And the FAB aint build itself 4 free.

SexBomb

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
And how is AMD gonna do that?
AMD is poor thanks to their horrible market policy
Germany is poor and cant stick them money up their... yeah... like they did last time
And the FAB aint build itself 4 free.
Let me ask you something but please be sincere with me:
Are you the dumbest member of this forum?
Every one of your posts are worthless. :?

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
If it were guaranteed that intel were not gonna do anything about the recent market share loss to AMD i think it would make sense for AMD to go for it near term. However, Intel is soon to have a competitive product for a change and I think it would be very foolish on AMD's part to go on a mad expansion spree on borrowed money. If they were to go that route, Intel could undercut AMD prices and destroy their margins. Then all of the sudden, they are deep in the red every quarter and start having to cut budgets like say for instance R&D. The wiser choice would be to ramp up fab 36 and see what happens to their market share once intel's new products are released. If they continue to gain share against conroe and company then I would say expand. But not before.

In other words, they need to keep their expansion slow and steady. Trying not to expand too much on money they havent made yet. Trying to go too fast could end up burying them.