enermax liberty 500 vs fsp fx600 gnl epsilon

konman43

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
i'm pullin my hair out tryin to determine what i should use. at first it was between the liberty ($95) and the modstream ($77), now i find something called the fsp epsilon ($118), which doesnt have modular cabling, but it's very reliable clean power for the same price (with quad +12 rails!). can i get some enlightenment guys? some more confusion is okay too because i'm open to suggestions, kinda. ;p

konman43

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
oh well... just went with an fsp epsilon from directron for 118 with free shipping (special discount for first time registeredy buyers, ehehe). gonna do nicely for my new opty 165 system i hope...

oldsaw

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
I have a FSP 600 on my new system,and it is extremely quiet, quieter than the Zalman 7000 on the CPU. Let me add that in the back of the case, mounted on a rubber gasket, I have a 120mm Scythe S-Flex which at 1200 rpm or so might be quieter still. Those three so close together keep the the motherboard and processor running well within their specs, though the house does seem a little warmer lately. Oh, let me add that in the absence of modular cabling, which would be wonderful if you had it (and the Epsilon doesn't), you can manage the plethora of cables into a tidy coil up at the top of your case in that area between the optical drive and the power supply with some heat resistant, medium duty cable-ties.

konman43

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
awesome. can i get some more info on your rubber gasket installation of your psu? having a silent rig has never really been a priority for me (nickname for my last computer was "the jet" cause it sounded like a jet going to take off, volcano 7 max speed fan), but i will test it out in this new setup.

oldsaw

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
An Oklahoma company, Jab-tech (www.jab-tech.com) carries a number of such items as well as a lot of mox-nix hardware and parts. Browsing their inventory will give you pleanty of ideas. Try to use 120mm fans if you can: Though they all present you with similar trade-offs of noise and power Sony's Scythe S-Flex models seem to to perform well in each category: They market three models, a "D", an "E", and an "F", differentiated only (as best as I can tell) by the resistor which limits their current draw and thus their speed. The "F" model pushes a respectable amount of air very quietly at 1600 rpm (12 v) and at half-speed (5v or 6v) is extremely difficult to hear at all. Good luck with your modifications.

konman43

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
cool. thanks. i'm looking at the psu vibration dampener right now. wow. nice low price for some good items. those scythe fans are pretty good deals too, though i do hear some good stuff about the yate loon fans too, it seems that the scythe's are rated at lower volts, and even less decibels.

-kx
-life's short play naked