Sign in with
Your question

Sata HDD gone fishing?

Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2006 9:57:41 AM

Hoping for some advice on a problem that has developed recently.
System was working fine.
Powered down to install an audigy4 sound card and when i rebooted the seagate sata drive was not recognised. No bios settings were changed and the only change i made before shutting down was removing the onboard Realtec AC97. I have read up on different forums to try and solve but have had little luck. I have removed the new soundcard

Each time i boot up get the following 'Reboot and select proper boot device'
I have checked in bios setup that onboard sata controller is enabled and checked all leads etc.

I have made a floppy driver diskette from the mobo cd and rebooted with xp disc in and hit F6. Installed diskette and ran through the system setup Obviously i do not want to install xp and so went to repair option and this then recognised the sata partitioned hard drive! I did not go any further with this in case i formatted over existing drive so i shut down. Problem is when i reboot its back to square one and the hard drive is not recognised.
I have downloaded seagate diskwizard and made two diskettes to install on bootup. This does not recognise any hard drive either.

Checked boot order - CDRom, Floppy, Hard Disk and tried setting this to Hard Disk, CDRom, Floppy but does not seem to help?

Not sure if these settings are correct from IDE configuration in bios setup
Onboard IDE controller - both
Onboard sata controller - enabled
Primary IDE master - not detected
Primary IDE slave - not detected
Secondary IDE master - not detected
Secondary IDE slave - not detected

Other than reinstalling xp and loosing my existing c drive on the sata I am at a loss

Appreciate any help with this

System
OS Xp Home Edition SP2
Asrock K8Upgrade-1689 bios P1.20
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
80G Seagate SATA HDD 7200/8M

More about : sata hdd fishing

April 15, 2006 10:56:38 AM

I obviously was not looking hard enough!!

Went into BIOS
Bios-boot-hard disk drives. This only detailed IDE
I disabled IDE (no sata shown?) and rebooted. Then if i hit Ctrl+A I go to all sorts of settings for the sata drive-I did not have a clue on this and did not want to mess with settins as i do not understand raid etc and so I rebooted.

Went into BIOS
Bios-boot-hard disk drives IDE detailed Sata serial No. Enabled this and changed boot up to hard disk 1st device.
Hey presto Windows starts up!

Now more than happy that I have all files etc but can anyone explain to a novice what I have done?
April 16, 2006 3:05:22 AM

Quote:
I obviously was not looking hard enough!!

Went into BIOS
Bios-boot-hard disk drives. This only detailed IDE
I disabled IDE (no sata shown?) and rebooted. Then if i hit Ctrl+A I go to all sorts of settings for the sata drive-I did not have a clue on this and did not want to mess with settins as i do not understand raid etc and so I rebooted.

Went into BIOS
Bios-boot-hard disk drives IDE detailed Sata serial No. Enabled this and changed boot up to hard disk 1st device.
Hey presto Windows starts up!

Now more than happy that I have all files etc but can anyone explain to a novice what I have done?

Well, by installing your sound card, the BIOS detected a new peripherical and may have messed with interrupt. This would have move the interrupt for the SATA controller somewhere else than it was used to be. So, the BIOS would not recognize it at first, and did not list it in the boot devices.
April 30, 2006 10:41:16 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer Pat 8)
!