Apr 6, 2006
This is my first build.

Mobo: A8N-SLI Premium
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4400+
RAM: OCZ PC4000 Gold
Video: BFG 7900GT
PSU: Titan 550W
Display: Dell 2001FP

I've got everything installed, but I'm having problems when I power on. The machine starts, fans are running, power LEDs are lit, but I get no beeps, no POST messages, and nothing on my display.

I don't even know where to start, as I don't know what a normal POST should look like.

Help, please!

02david

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Have you checked the moniter is plugged in and it's in the right socket. I remember when I first turned my PC on. I put the connector thing in the wrong socket and nothing came up on the screen. The PC was on but nothing came up. I swithched the cables and the problem was sorted.

gordyhulten

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Have you checked the moniter is plugged in and it's in the right socket. I remember when I first turned my PC on. I put the connector thing in the wrong socket and nothing came up on the screen. The PC was on but nothing came up. I swithched the cables and the problem was sorted.

Monitor was in the right socket. I didn't have power plugged into the EZ_PLUG socket.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Couple of tips:
1- Make sure cpu is seated correctly. (just because the cooler is not falling off does not mean it is seated correctly)

2- Check your ram pull one out and swap till you know it not them.

3- Make sure you cpu 4 pin power connector is connected next to the cpu.

4- Make sure you dont have any extra brass stand offs incorrectly places or missing.

5- Make sure your video card is in the top pci-e slot.

6- Running sata are you using the power sata quick connector or molex 4 pin.

7- If you are running sata plug into sata1.

8- cd and dvd drives should be plugged into correct ide channel(ie NOT the blue one).

9- Make sure your power supply is set for 110v and NOT 220v.

gordyhulten

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Wrong PSU possibly. Read the other topics in this section.

PSU is fine, well-reviewed Antec model that came with the case.

recheck ALL your connections. Restart the build.

I did. I missed the EZ_PLUG power connection (didn't think I needed it, actually) and now everything seems to be fine.

I'm still not getting any beeps or POST feedback, but the display is working, and I'm in the BIOS setting up my RAID0. Now I've got to install Windows and get it to recognize the RAID.

gordyhulten

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Couple of tips:
1- Make sure cpu is seated correctly. (just because the cooler is not falling off does not mean it is seated correctly)

2- Check your ram pull one out and swap till you know it not them.

3- Make sure you cpu 4 pin power connector is connected next to the cpu.

4- Make sure you dont have any extra brass stand offs incorrectly places or missing.

5- Make sure your video card is in the top pci-e slot.

6- Running sata are you using the power sata quick connector or molex 4 pin.

7- If you are running sata plug into sata1.

8- cd and dvd drives should be plugged into correct ide channel(ie NOT the blue one).

9- Make sure your power supply is set for 110v and NOT 220v.

1. CPU is good.
2. RAM is recognized by BIOS.
3. I had this one plugged in, but missed the EZ_PLUG.
4. OK.
5. OK.
6. SATA power connectors.
7. I'm running SATA1 & SATA2 on the nVidia SATA controller.
8. The blue IDE channel is the recommended channel for the mobo, according to the instructions. I have two ODDs. Should I run one on each IDE channel, or run both on one channel?
9. PSU is good.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
If you cant hear your optical drives revving up, that means you have a mobo problem. But in this case you said that everyting powers up?
Make sure everything is connected properly from the psu to the mobo
Thas happened to me once. Be shure that your ram are in the right slots :twisted:

WhyFi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I thought that I had heard something about incompatibility issues with Antec PSUs and some Asus boards, so i went looking-

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article273-page5.html

POSTSCRIPT 2: NeoHE INCOMPATIBILITIES
December 21, 2005 by Mike Chin

In the weeks following this review, it came to our attention via discussions in many forums (including SPCR's) that there was a compatibility issue, initially between some Asus nVidia nForce4 chipset motherboards and some NeoHE power supplies. There was also talk some other motherboards from other brands not working with the NeoHE and other PSU brands/models, and some talk of these motherboards not working with other PSU brands/models, also. There was also mention of some Asus P5 (Intel) series boards not working well with some NeoHeE samples. Incompatibilities with other Intel boards from other brands were also mentioned. There was even talk of damage to a few motherboards.

The most common scenario is that with the affected units, the motherboard powers up, but then shuts down within a minute or two. Sometimes the motherboard fails to boot. The symptoms appear to vary.

The discussions about these incompatibility issues ranged far and wide all over the web sites where the likely DIY enthusiast buyers of the NeoHE / P150 would wander. We watched and read in amazement, as we had no experience with any of these issues with any of the motherboards used with either of our two NeoHE 430 PSU samples initially. This changed in December.

In the first week of December, we obtained two Asus motherboards: A8N32-SLI Deluxe and A8N-SLI Premium. Both are high end Athlon 64 nF4 chipset socket 939 boards. They were used in two different system builds and worked fine with several power supplies on hand in the lab. Neither of these boards worked with the single NeoHE430 PSU on hand, however. We contacted Antec to report that we, too, seemed to have a bad sample. As mentioned, the original samples worked fine on several other motherboards in the lab, although none were nF4 models. The motherboards included socket 478, 775, 754 and 939 models using Intel, nVidia (NF3) and VIA chipsets.

Yesterday, we received two new NeoHE430 PSUs from Antec. We also received a 500W and a 550W model in the series. These are said to have been revised to eliminate all previous incompatibility problems. All these new samples worked normally on our two Asus boards.

Our new samples are identical in appearance to the original, both outside and inside, as far as we can tell. Antec tells us that in future, revised units will be diffentiated from the original version with some kind of tag or label. The NeoHE430 in the P150 case and the retail box NeoHE PSUs currently shipping from Antec's primary warehouse in the US (to distributors and dealers) are said to be the revised version. EU warehouses will soon have the revised ones as well. NeoHE supplies in the rest of the world are served directly from Antec's Hong Kong shipping center, and they have already been shipping the revised units for a couple of weeks.

Much of the NeoHE stock currently in the retail channels are from the original production run, however. Antec says a total recall is not justified, because the incompatibility only applies to some NeoHE power supplies with mostly Asus motherboards.

Antec advises customers to contact them directly should they have problems with a NeoHE power supply. They will ensure a speedy no-cost replacement.

Might be worth looking in to...

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I had the same symptoms when I rebuilt recently.

Mine was corrected by:

1. Clear CMOS.
2. Remove all ram. I then got beeps for no ram.
3. Insert one RAM, boot.
4. If ok, power off and insert the second.

gordyhulten

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
:lol: I just ordered that very same model today!

Well, it's working great with the A8N-SLI right now. I just need to figure out how to get Windows Setup to find my RAID drivers. My USB floppy isn't working, and neither is my slipstreamed setup CD. Hmmm.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Make sure you enable legacy devic support in the bios. I think that'll then allow you to select the floppy as a boot device.

capitalt

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Just a quick note top everyone on this forum and Vascular in particular; it was my first build as well and the good advice on this post helped me out a lot. My error was just that I hadn't fitted the CPU properly. But I wouldn't have checked that unless I'd come across this forum.

Thanks a lot guys!