x850xt stops working after windows update

xhatch

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Hi all,

THE PROBLEM:
I installed a windows XP update this morning (I'm running pro) that required me to restart my computer. I did so, and as the computer began the boot sequence my monitor (Viewsonic VP930b, connected via DVI) gave me the message: "no input from DVI" and stayed in standby mode. The system still booted to OS fine (I was able to log in blind and listen to the startup noise) only the monitor refused to detect a signal from my video card.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
To determine if I the problem was with my monitor or my video card, I plugged my monitor into a friend's computer using the same DVI cable and it worked fine.

In summary, the monitor and the DVI cable work, and the system boots to windows. It has the be the video card.

QUESTION:
Could this have been caused by the windows update? I don't understand why the video card would fail without warning (note that the thermostat in our apartment reached 87F yesterday and I played Oblivion for about three straight hours... could my card have sustained heat damage? I didn't notice any artifacting or weird crashes). Should I get my hands on a temp video card and try to do a windows restore? Should I clear my CMOS memory? Is there any way to determine if the card has sustained physical damage? Should I just RMA the bloody thing?

SYSTEM SPECS:
A8N-SLI mobo
Athlon 64 3700+ w/ stock HSF
Radeon X850XT 256MB
2x512MB Corsair ValueSelect
80GB Western Digital HDD
ViewSonic VP930b (DVI)
SBLive! 5.1

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
If your monitor does not come up at all from the time you power the copmputer on, it sounds more like a hardware issue. however if you see the BIOS Post screen, etc, and it blanks out once it gets to Windows, it is more than likely a driver issue. check 1st to see if your vid card is fully seated (power off of course). if that fails, hit F8 on boot up to try to attempt getting into windows Safe Mode. other than that, am not sure...

xhatch

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Hi AlaskaFox,

Windows boots properly, but the monitor never comes out of standby mode ("no signal from DVI") which suggests to me that it is a hardware problem. I've confirmed that the video card is getting power (the fan is spinning)--I'll try reseating it later today.

I suppose that if this was a windows driver issue I'd still be able to see the computer post. Could there be some random conflict with a BIOS setting? I'll keep dinking with it.

AlaskaFox

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
hmm, never heard of any bios glitches that cause no video (except manually cranking up the PCI-E bus speed too high), try a clearing of the CMOS to cover that base if you want though, shouldnt hurt anything.

just to satisfy my curiosity, try going Analog and see if that makes a difference. your X850 come with 2xDVI or 1x Analog 1xDVI? if 2xDVI you should have gotten an Analog converter plug with the card, if not they can be had for pretty cheap. your monitor should have analog input as well as DVI.

only other thing that I can think of should only affect windows though. if somehow the resolution/refresh rate got dorked up in windows, it can send a signal outside the monitors capability. but since you cant see POST, dont think that is an issue since it uses a standard setting.

stupid question, you have the X850 plugged into the top PCI-E slot? also try reseating the SLI card, might help. shouldnt need to plug in power to the molex connector on the mobo as it supplies extra power for SLI configurations. hope this helps!

xhatch

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I tried using analog instead of DVI, and it works! Any ideas why my DVI port would suddenly quit on me? I'm going to request an RMA, but it's nice to be able to use my computer until then :)