How does vonage work?

Couple of questions on how vonage works?
1. Does it use SIP.
2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?
4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
could take it anywhere, even another area code.

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about vonage work

    In article <jer9h0hoca65p7e4c1qfipek3v7gf3vauf@4ax.com>,
    R Siffredi <rsiffredi@email.com> wrote:

    > Couple of questions on how vonage works?
    > 1. Does it use SIP.
    > 2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
    > 3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?
    > 4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
    > could take it anywhere, even another area code.
    >
    > Thanks

    1. Yes, it uses SIP. You are provided with an ATA device that acts as a
    SIP proxy. Calls are routed to their servers.
    2. Vonage has media gateways to the PSTN in several areas.
    3. No, Vonage only supports analog phones and soft phone clients. Soft
    phones are only supported if you have an existing account
    4. You can plug your ATA device in anywhere there is an Internet
    connection and your phone will work.

    "R Siffredi" <rsiffredi@email.com> wrote in message
    > Couple of questions on how vonage works?
    > 1. Does it use SIP.
    > 2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
    > 3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?

    Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
    use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.

    As the previous poster said, however, you will need to have a main
    account set up (making use of Vonage configured hardware), in order to get
    a softphone account.

    > 4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
    > could take it anywhere, even another area code.
    >
    > Thanks

    So I could use a cisco 7900 model as well?
    What settings would I have to adjust in it when I get the softphone
    account?
    Also, what packets should I see on the analyzer for my ATA device?
    RTP packets to the Vonage SIP server?
    Call setup?
    Is there keepalvie packets or anything to the ATA device from vonage?

    Thanks again!

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:24:31 GMT, "Roland Krikava" <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >"R Siffredi" <rsiffredi@email.com> wrote in message
    >> Couple of questions on how vonage works?
    >> 1. Does it use SIP.
    >> 2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
    >> 3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?
    >
    >Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
    >use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.
    >
    >As the previous poster said, however, you will need to have a main
    >account set up (making use of Vonage configured hardware), in order to get
    >a softphone account.
    >
    >> 4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
    >> could take it anywhere, even another area code.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
    >use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.

    Really? How did you set it up? I thought that the Vonage softphone
    needed their client, so you could only use a USB phone.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    "John R. Levine" <johnl@iecc.com> wrote in message
    > >Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
    > >use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.
    >
    > Really? How did you set it up? I thought that the Vonage softphone
    > needed their client, so you could only use a USB phone.

    This is how my Grandstream phone is configured:

    IP Phone ConfigurationGrandstream IP Phone Configuration

    MAC Address:
    Product Model: BT100
    Software Version: Program--1.0.5.3
    Bootloader--1.0.0.18
    HTML--1.0.0.36 VOC--1.0.0.6
    Custom Ring Tone: ring1--1.0.0.0 ring2--1.0.0.0
    ring3--0.0.0.0

    Admin Password:
    IP Address: dynamically assigned via DHCP

    SIP Server: sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5060
    Outbound Proxy: sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5061
    SIP User ID: vonage number
    Authenticate User ID: vonage number
    Authenticate Password: *****
    Name: (optional, e.g., John Doe)

    Advanced Options:
    Preferred Vocoder:
    (in listed order)
    choice 1: current setting is "G722"
    choice 2: current setting is "PCMU"
    choice 3: current setting is "PCMA"
    choice 4: current setting is "G723"
    choice 5: current setting is "G729"
    choice 6: current setting is "G726-32"
    choice 7: current setting is "G728"
    choice 8: current setting is "PCMU"

    G723 rate: 6.3kbps encoding rate

    iLBC frame size: 20ms
    iLBC payload type: 98
    Silence Suppression: No
    Voice Frames per TX: 2
    Layer 3 QoS: 48
    Layer 2 QoS: 802.1Q/VLAN Tag: 0 802.1p priority
    value: 0

    Use DNS SRV: No
    User ID is phone number: Yes
    SIP Registration: Yes
    Unregister On Reboot: No
    Register Expiration: 60
    Early Dial: No
    Dial Plan Prefix:
    No Key Entry Timeout: 4
    Use # as Dial Key: Yes (if set to Yes, "#" will function
    as the "(Re-)Dial" key)
    local SIP port: 5060
    local RTP port: 5004
    Use random port: Yes
    NAT Traversal: Yes STUN server is:
    keep-alive interval: 20 seconds
    Use NAT IP:
    TFTP Server: (for remote software upgrade and
    configuration)
    Voice Mail UserID:
    SUBSCRIBE for MWI: No, do not send SUBSCRIBE for Message
    Waiting Indication
    Auto Answer: No
    Offhook Auto-Dial:
    Enable Call Features: No
    Disable Call-Waiting: No
    Send DTMF: in-audio
    DTMF Payload Type: 101
    Send Flash Event: No
    NTP Server: time.nist.gov
    Time Zone:
    Date Display Format: Year-Month-Day
    Daylight Savings Time: Yes
    Default Ring Tone: system ring tone
    Send Anonymous: No
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    In message <cf4m2u$i7c$1@xuxa.iecc.com> johnl@iecc.com (John R. Levine)
    wrote:

    >>Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
    >>use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.
    >
    >Really? How did you set it up? I thought that the Vonage softphone
    >needed their client, so you could only use a USB phone.

    In theory. In practice, you can pull the information you need out of
    the softphone's software.

    --
    I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.

VPN Vonage IP IP Phone Networking