Problem with intel 975xbx motherboard

ashwim

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I have assembled a high end computer system with the following configurations - INTEL 975XBX motherboard, P4 3.2GHz 64bit, 2GB DDR2 667 Kingston RAM(1GB+1GB in dual channel), WinFast 6800GS 256MB, 80GB SATA-I Harddisk and sony DVDRW.

I tried to install Windows XP Professional 64bit on the system. First I configured 'harddisk mode' as enhanced and STA as IDE on the BIOS and started the installation by booting from the winxp64 installation CD. Installation process goes on fine until the harddisk partioning phase but when the computer completes formatting the partition just created - then at the end of the formatting phase when 100% completion just finishes it says "the harddisk could not be formatted and is not recognised or may be corrupt bla bla bla"

I tried everything I could to install WinXP on the system but in vain. I tried all the configurations with the harddisk mode both enhanced and legacy and all other minor configurations. The board had a new storage technology called intel matrix storage - I even tried the installation by providing intel matrix driver during installation (F6 method) but didn't help.

Finally I could do anything else so I tried installing winxp professional 64bit still the same problem. Then I tried installing Windows 2000 Professional walla! - this time it worked - win2k formatted the created partitions without problems and got installed successfully.

But I don't want to install win2k on the system. I prefer Windows XP Pro. 64bit/32bit. Can anybody tell how do I install xp on this configuration.

Thank you
Ashwim

iwasscammed

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I had a problem also with the same motherboard 3.4 GHz, 64 bit, except I took my computer to Tiger Direct to have them do it. They told me they loaded Windows XP Professional on it(it previously had Windows XP Media Center Edition on it when i first purchased it new). Anyhow, i brought it home and of course after paying them, it still didn't work. It wouldn't boot up and start. So, I took it back to them, they said they would look at it again, no charge, so I left it with them again. I never heard from them for days, so I dropped into the store and asked if my computer was ready. They said, here it is, all fixed and ready for you. So, I took it home and "SHOCKER", its still not working and doing the same thing as before. The moral of the story, I don't think Windows XP Professional will work on my computer and I am out about $200 and a waste of my time.
Oh by the way, Tiger Direct told me, "it was working here."

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

hi, if u have some time try to re-assemble the rig and before u install os connect your hdd to sata cable and select primary hdd in bios,next try format hdd with xp professional 32bit cd,it will format your hdd and it will create a decent 32bit os for u, if u wish to continue on 32 bit u have no problems, or if u willing to run 64bit make sure u r board and chip supports it, if so u can upgrade to 64bit OS. :sol:

TRENDING THREADS