Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Serious problems w/7900 GTX on MSI K8N Diamond Plus!!!

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Diamond
  • Graphics
  • MSI-Microstar
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 15, 2006 7:44:49 PM

This computer is driving me frickin' crazy.

First off, my specs:

MSI K8N Diamond Plus SLI
Athlon X2 4400
GeForce 7900 GTX
Antec Truepower 2.0 550W SLI PSU
Crucial 2GB DDR400

I'm running a single card setup on this SLI board, and with my 7900GTX, I'm getting roughly half the performance I should be getting out of a single card setup. When I swapped my friend's ATI 1900XT into my system (with updated ATI drivers, of course), it sliced the performance he was getting on his single card setup in half, just as my 7900 GTX was performing.

Something strange is that my refresh rate is set to 75, and as soon as I swing the camera on Oblivion (or any other game) into a heavily rendered area, my fps drop from 75--> 37.5 in the blink of an eye. Call me crazy, but it seems like my system is trying to split the workload between two cards even though I'm running a single card setup.

I have tried everything I know to fix the problem. My bios is up to date and all windows updates/drivers. Graphics drivers up to date. I've tried every 8x.xx Forceware driver to try and correct the issue--no dice. No spyware/viruses to speak of.

I'm convinced now that my motherboard is trying to split the workload of the PCIE1 w/ the PCIE2. Does that make sense? Is there a way to switch that to optimization on the 1st PCI-E slot since I'm only running a single card? Am I up s#@&I creek?

Thanks in advance! And my computer thanks you, otherwise it will see its death from a third floor balcony!!

More about : problems 7900 gtx msi k8n diamond

April 15, 2006 9:07:59 PM

Quote:

I'm convinced now that my motherboard is trying to split the workload of the PCIE1 w/ the PCIE2. Does that make sense? Is there a way to switch that to optimization on the 1st PCI-E slot since I'm only running a single card? Am I up s#@&I creek?

I've never dealt with MSI BIOS, but I'd go look for PCI-E and SLI configuration options and probably look for something to disable.