• DVD Writers
  • DVD
  • DVD Burner
  • Burner
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
April 15, 2006 8:40:30 PM

putting a dvd burner in my new system, mainly burning dvd-+r and don't want to spend more than £40
any thoughts?

More about : burner

April 19, 2006 4:22:41 AM

I've had a lite-on SHW-160P6S for a couple of months now. I have burned over 200 CDs, DVDs, and PS2 games without (knock on wood) a single coaster. Haven't tried dual layer yet. It is much quieter than my old Samsung burner. I would highly recommend a Lite-On burner. Oh and it cost me $37.99 at the time.
April 19, 2006 4:22:53 AM

what about the 3550a or 4551? (both nec)
Related resources
April 19, 2006 4:50:28 AM

For my money, Lite-On every time.

I've had a Lite-On DVD-RW and a Lite-On CD-RW drive for about a year now, burned at least 400 discs in the CD-RW and about 100 in the DVD-RW and never had a single one fail on me. They're fast, quite (as much as you can expect them to be anyhow), and inexpensive.

Plus, last time I checked, Sony bought Lite-On drives and slapped their name on them... With a markup, of course.
April 19, 2006 5:13:10 AM

I've had fantastic luck with Lite-On. I think they build for some of the brand names too, like some Sony models but I like the Lite-On versions better anyway. Pretty hard to go wrong and the price is right.
April 20, 2006 6:31:50 AM

Plextor
April 21, 2006 3:37:27 AM

I used my Lite-On straight out of the box, no firmware updates at all. Of course I don't know how long that model had been out before I bought it though and that is the first Lite-On I have purchased for myself. We have used Lite-On burners a few times where I work with no firmware upgrades with no problems. Ultimately, I have had good experiences with the brand so far so that is what I would recommend. I'm sure there are people with bad experiences with the brand too. I think that is how all products work :) 
April 21, 2006 5:18:52 AM

I have Pioneer DVD RW and Toshiba DVD, CD RW.
Pioneer Kick a*s*s.

Benq isnt bad at all, and NEC.
!