All folders problem

October 21, 2004 1:40:38 PM

I've got a problem with all folders and Pocket Word, Excel and so on...
I have no ignore_my_documents files, I created "My Documents" folder
everywhere (SD, CF, File Store...) and I just see every folder I've put
into My Documents... but I can't select those which are in SD card!!!!
When I select a folder like "work" I should only see its files, isn't
it?

Does somebody know a solution????

--
klamber
klamber's Profile: http://www.ppczone.net/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&...

More about : folders problem

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 6:03:26 PM

klamber <klamber.1ehb7b@timelimit.yourserver.com> wrote in

> I've got a problem with all folders and Pocket Word, Excel and so on...
> I have no ignore_my_documents files, I created "My Documents" folder
> everywhere (SD, CF, File Store...) and I just see every folder I've put
> into My Documents... but I can't select those which are in SD card!!!!
> When I select a folder like "work" I should only see its files, isn't
> it?
>
> Does somebody know a solution????
>

> --
> klamber
-
> klamber's Profile: http://www.ppczone.net/forum/member.php?
action=getinfo&userid=865
> View this thread: http://www.ppczone.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=
21722

A solution.... no. A cause: yes.

Those programs only "look" one folder deep for files. And memorycards are
treated like a folder. So if "my documents" is located at its usual
place, in the "root" of the machine, it's contents is seen by the
programs. But if it is placed on a memorycard, it is regarded as a
subfolder of the folder "memcard" and thus the contents are ignored.....

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 7:13:19 PM

In article <Xns9589A35749752softspotbruggehotmai@195.238.0.34>,
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com says...
> A solution.... no. A cause: yes.
>
> Those programs only "look" one folder deep for files. And memorycards are
> treated like a folder. So if "my documents" is located at its usual
> place, in the "root" of the machine, it's contents is seen by the
> programs. But if it is placed on a memorycard, it is regarded as a
> subfolder of the folder "memcard" and thus the contents are ignored.....

I'm sorry but this isn't correct. Note the OP mentioned a file
"ignore_my_documents". This hidden, zero length file is created by the
internal apps the first time they run IF there is NO My Documents folder
in the root of the card and it has a MAJOR impact on how MD is handled.

If the file "ignore_my_documents" IS NOT present, the internal
applications look for the folder "My Documents" on the card. If they
find it then they will look for files there AND in folders one
additional level below that. For example I have:
\Storage Card\
\Storage Card\My Documents\
\Storage Card\My Documents\P-Excel\
\Storage Card\My Documents\P-Excel\file1.pxl
There is no P-Excel folder anywhere else.
Open Pocket Excel, click Show--all folders under ALL My Documents are
listed including P-Excel, select P-Excel, all pxl files are listed and
can be opened.

What you are describing above is what happens if there IS an
"ignore_my_documents" file. In that case the internal applications see
all files and folders in the root itself and all files in any of those
folders but no lower.

To the OP:
1) You've got a "My Documents" folder in the root of the card? Spelled
correctly?
2) You've checked for the file ignore_my_documents? That's normally
HIDDEN -- you DID check for hidden files?
3) If both of those ok, yes you should see My Documents and Work and all
files in Work. I'm stumped.
4) One scenerio that would do that: The Ignore_My_Documents file IS
still there and you've DUPLICATED the names of folders under My
Documents in main memory and the card. For example if you had My
Documents\Work\ in both main memory and the card--if the IMD file wasn't
there then the apps would combine the files in both folders (with the
ones on the card having a tiny "card" icon). But if the IMD file WAS
still there then the apps would only see the files in Work in main
memory. I avoid using the same folder names in both places.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

the "folders" display is confusing as folders with the same name in ram
or on the memory card are not duplicated, but, rather, the files within
those folders are "marked" with a tiny "memory card" icon that
designates that they are not in ram and they are mixed in with the
display of files that are in RAM

To see this, create a folder name on a storage card with a name that is
not used in the RAM folder.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 6:59:07 AM

Thanks for your replies!

Now I'll try to explain my problem with more detail...

1) I've got a "My Documents" folder in the root of the card, correctly
spelled.
2) I have no duplicated folder names, for example:
\Storage Card\My Documents\Stored
\My Documents\Work
\My Documents\Templates
3) I deleted all ignore_my... using Resco Explorer, with the option
"Show all files" activated, so I think I there aren't any left. In
fact, only subfolders of "My Documents" appear in the list, so I think
this is not the problem.
The problem that I have is that I can select the folder "Work" (or
"Templates") and see only those files inside it, but when I select
"Stored" then it 'switches automatically' to "All folders", and then I
see all my files, with and without memcard icons, all mixed in a mess
of files...

Thanks in advance!!

--
klamber
klamber's Profile: http://www.ppczone.net/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&...
View this thread: http://www.ppczone.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=21...
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 9:06:43 PM

>> when I select "Stored" then it 'switches automatically' to "All
folders", and then I see all my files, with and without memcard icons,
all mixed in a mess of files... <<

verrryyy interesting... but...

You have answered all of the pertinant questions correctly... hmmm

if you have not done it since you have taken all of those steps, remove
the card, soft reset the device, after it reboots, reinsert the card and
take another look for the "ignore..." file as it get's regenerated in
a few seconds if you deleted it on the PPC

If the file is indeed gone, start word and look again.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 11:09:01 PM

Soft reset done, Beverly!

Problem is still there... no "ignore_my_documents" files found, and I
still can't select a folder in the SD... I've also tried with a CF card
with the same result...
I've also noticed that I can't delete a folder in the card using the
option "Add/remove..." in Pocket Word. No problem with main memory
folders...

I start thinking there's no solution... well, I don't know if it's
important, but if somebody wants to know, I've got an iPAQ 2210 with a
512 MB Kingston SD, running WinCE 4.20...

See you soon!

--
!