Which PSU for my rig, please lend some advice

hytek9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
OK, I am 100% new to posting on this forum (I have used it for months for information) so "Hello" /waves

I am in market for a new PSU, I have spent the last 4 hours looking through everyone's topics to try and get some insight on which PSU to get. I didn't realize there were so many options out there, and I have narrowed it down to just a few that look like they should work fine, and got decent reviews. I am certainly open to anyone's ideas on better make/model/version/price that they like to juice my rig. My budget for new PSU is $225 USD. Other thing to note is I plan to make a few upgrades in the short future like CPU, More RAM, VGA Card and storage) System specs and future specs provided below:

Current Specs:
AMD 64 3200+ Venice, Stock HSF
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (1011 rev BIOS)
1g Corsair PC3200 XMS TwinX XLPRO
(2) eVGA GeForce 6600 GT's in SLi (stock speed)
Thermaltake 680W Purepower PSU (Dead)
WD Caviar 80g, IDE HDD (OS)
Maxtor DM 10 200g, IDE HDD (Storage)
Coolermaster Stacker 830 Case
Windows XP Pro SP2

Future Specs with upgrades:
AMD 64 X2 4400+ Toledo (1MBXL2 verision), Zalman 120m HSF
Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe Motherboard (Flash BIOS to newer rev for X2 chip)
2g Corsair PC3200 XMS TwinX XLPRO
512mb BFG Tech GeForce 7900GTX OC (Getting just 1 to start)
(2) WD 320g SATA HDD's (Haven't decided exactly which ones)
Coolermaster Stacker 830 Case
Windows XP Pro SP2

***Features I am looking for in a power supply***

1) Raw power, able to run my system now and future-proof as much as possible on my budget

2) Able to run (2) 7900GTX cards easily

3) I want to eventually get some lights, and more fans for stacker case for cooling (2x 12" cathodes, and 5 120mm fans - total)

***POWER SUPPLIES FOR CONSIDERATION***

1) OCZ Powerstream 600W (Not at all familiar with the "adjustable" rail system, and not sure I should jump out and go with something that needs to be "tweaked" to run correctly)
Link: http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/ocz600adjsli.html

2) PC Power & Cooling, Turbo Cool 510 (Never owned one of these, just not sure if this is enough future-proof at this wattage - although after reading up on them, everyone seems to think they "under-rate" their supplies)
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703001

3) Enermax Liberty 620W (Although modular not needed, got good reviews - just alittle queezy about the plugs not making "good" contact over time, and resistance)
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194004

Scenerio on how PSU failed:

Thermaltake 680w PSU quit working on me in the last couple days. It didn't "pop", "sizzle", "burn smell" or any of the other things I have seen on this forum, but my PC just simply won't boot. I haven't installed ANYTHING new in this rig for at least 4 months. Actually, the only system tweaks I have done recently is the RAM with it's timings (2-2-2-5) - I noticed about 2 days prior to it dying on me, the power button didn't work one night when I attempted to turn the PC on.. it actually took me flipping the PSU switch on/off/on to get the power button to work again. I thought that was a bit strange, but worked 2 more nights flawlessly before finally never working again. I have tried to "poke" around in the case, looking for loose connections, burns, and any "wobble" in the mainboard on the standoffs, trying to rule out the PSU as the culprit. I can hear faint "crackling" sounds coming from the PSU when AC cord is attached, and the motherboard green "power light" is on (Giving me the idea that the PSU is the problem)

I apologize for bouncing all over in this post, but I have so much information to share to make the right choice in power supplies this time around, thanks in advance for any information you can lend me.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
OCZ has an awesome reputation. I only have personal experience with Antec and I have to say they have all been good to me (I have 2 of them in machines now) no problems for like 3 years on the one.

hytek9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
OCZ Powerstream 520w - google it, amazing PSU

Antec TP 2.0 550w

edit: wanna add this bit

your cooler, zalman 120m, dont Tunic Towers just click and read the review

That CPU Cooler looks good, will certainly consider it, thanks for the "heads up"

About the OCZ PSU you recommended, you think it is better than the PCP&C? Or just as good, at better price?

Thanks for your time on this, looking to get a replacement PSU ASAP, since my rig is currently down.

**Trying to RMA my TT 680w, but they want an original sales receipt, called retailer I purchased it from, said they would print copy and mail it *fingers crossed* that they follow through, I would sell the replacement, and help offset the cost of the new PSU. That TT only lasted from 5/8/05-4/10/06.. Peice of junk**

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
OCZ has a very good rep, I would go with a 600Watt SLI PSU from them on that budget. It also has a $25MIB atm, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711001.

I think PC P&C is a little too expensive for my taste,

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

1) Raw power, able to run my system now and future-proof as much as possible on my budget

OK, when I saw your #2, I winced. I've just been through 10 days of pain over the 7900GTX. Originally, I was all set to go for the 7900GT, then I couldn't find one anywhere, then got an unexpected shot to the wallet, then found a 7900GTX at Newegg and went for it. It arrived real fast and I was SOOO excited to displace my 6800GS with it, practically salivating at the thought that I'd be getting SOOO much better performance....

Except that the card was DOA... So I spent some time on the phone with eVGA and they at first were convinced that it was my PS. I've got an Enermax Liberty 620. I was told that it wasn't the amount of watts, it was the 12V current capability that mattered. I was told that the PS had to be able to deliver at least 22A and dude said my Liberty couldn't hack it. I told him that each rail was rated to 22A and he still said it wasn't a good enough (quote) PS. Now wait a minute, sez I. eVGA's web site claims that you need a 450 watt PS with a total 12V capability of 22A. So I got passed from one eVGS tech dude to the next and they all told me that my Liberty was a pussy. I read a couple of reviews to them, but no, the Liberty was too wimpy. Finally, I asked to talk to their boss because I already knew I wasn't gonna pop for a kilowatt PS just to run a GFA that was supposedly fine with a 450 watter. Boss told me I was right and that bad memory was the problem. RMA, 3-day cross-ship, new 7900GTX arrived yesterday.

Guess what? DOA. So I got suspicious and took both 7900GTX's over to a friend's place to have them looked at. My friend has a relatively well equipped electronics/computer lab and he's running a pair of X1900XTs XF'ed in his rig. He has another box with the same PS (800 watt job out of Germany made for servers) and he popped in the first 7900GTX. Same symptoms I saw at home - boots up to Windows, then dies 10 to 20 seconds later. Now, if an 800 watt PS can handle TWO X1900XTs, why can't it handle one little, energy efficient 7900GTX? So, just to be sure, he pulled the actual PS out of his game rig, the one that was happy running the two X1900XTs and we got the same result. I thanked him for all the effort, left him a sixer of his favorite microbrew, then came home to have another go with the eVGA tech support people.

I got the same story again: it is due to my wimpy PS! Around we went again and again, then I got tired of it all and got another RMA, then called Newegg and got an RMA from them for the original board. So I'm 0 for 2 on 7900GTX's and as much as I REALLY wanted to go with eVGA and their cool, fast energy efficient GPU, I'm going to have to look elsewhere. I'm thinking X1900XT but am not yet sure which one. Maybe Sapphire. So, to wrap up this hideously long ramble, I hope you get a PS with at least 3 kilowatts and enough 12 current capability to light up Vegas because otherwise, you'll never manage that SLI you have planned.

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005

OK, when I saw your #2, I winced. I've just been through 10 days of pain over the 7900GTX. Originally, I was all set to go for the 7900GT, then I couldn't find one anywhere, then got an unexpected shot to the wallet, then found a 7900GTX at Newegg and went for it. It arrived real fast and I was SOOO excited to displace my 6800GS with it, practically salivating at the thought that I'd be getting SOOO much better performance....

Except that the card was DOA... So I spent some time on the phone with eVGA and they at first were convinced that it was my PS. I've got an Enermax Liberty 620. I was told that it wasn't the amount of watts, it was the 12V current capability that mattered. I was told that the PS had to be able to deliver at least 22A and dude said my Liberty couldn't hack it. I told him that each rail was rated to 22A and he still said it wasn't a good enough (quote) PS. Now wait a minute, sez I. eVGA's web site claims that you need a 450 watt PS with a total 12V capability of 22A. So I got passed from one eVGS tech dude to the next and they all told me that my Liberty was a pussy. I read a couple of reviews to them, but no, the Liberty was too wimpy. Finally, I asked to talk to their boss because I already knew I wasn't gonna pop for a kilowatt PS just to run a GFA that was supposedly fine with a 450 watter. Boss told me I was right and that bad memory was the problem. RMA, 3-day cross-ship, new 7900GTX arrived yesterday.

Guess what? DOA. So I got suspicious and took both 7900GTX's over to a friend's place to have them looked at. My friend has a relatively well equipped electronics/computer lab and he's running a pair of X1900XTs XF'ed in his rig. He has another box with the same PS (800 watt job out of Germany made for servers) and he popped in the first 7900GTX. Same symptoms I saw at home - boots up to Windows, then dies 10 to 20 seconds later. Now, if an 800 watt PS can handle TWO X1900XTs, why can't it handle one little, energy efficient 7900GTX? So, just to be sure, he pulled the actual PS out of his game rig, the one that was happy running the two X1900XTs and we got the same result. I thanked him for all the effort, left him a sixer of his favorite microbrew, then came home to have another go with the eVGA tech support people.

I got the same story again: it is due to my wimpy PS! Around we went again and again, then I got tired of it all and got another RMA, then called Newegg and got an RMA from them for the original board. So I'm 0 for 2 on 7900GTX's and as much as I REALLY wanted to go with eVGA and their cool, fast energy efficient GPU, I'm going to have to look elsewhere. I'm thinking X1900XT but am not yet sure which one. Maybe Sapphire. So, to wrap up this hideously long ramble, I hope you get a PS with at least 3 kilowatts and enough 12 current capability to light up Vegas because otherwise, you'll never manage that SLI you have planned.

If you go with ATI, HIS and Sapphire are very good brands.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

Antec TP 2.0 550w

edit: wanna add this bit

your cooler, zalman 120m, dont Tunic Towers just click and read the review

That CPU Cooler looks good, will certainly consider it, thanks for the "heads up"

About the OCZ PSU you recommended, you think it is better than the PCP&C? Or just as good, at better price?

Thanks for your time on this, looking to get a replacement PSU ASAP, since my rig is currently down.

**Trying to RMA my TT 680w, but they want an original sales receipt, called retailer I purchased it from, said they would print copy and mail it *fingers crossed* that they follow through, I would sell the replacement, and help offset the cost of the new PSU. That TT only lasted from 5/8/05-4/10/06.. Peice of junk**

i know its better than the P&C deluxe

check for your self here

the review speaks for it self

hytek9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Clue69Less said:
Now, if an 800 watt PS can handle TWO X1900XTs, why can't it handle one little, energy efficient 7900GTX?

I hope you get a PS with at least 3 kilowatts and enough 12 current capability to light up Vegas because otherwise, you'll never manage that SLI you have planned.

Just a couple of questions:

1) Would the ATI VGA work well with my NForce4 chipset? I used to use ATI, but was using VIA chipsets on my Asus Mobo's in past. I know I am limited on my current mobo, with running (2) ATI's in crossfire, since I have a board certified for SLi - also, checking into the ATI Sapphire card, noticed it only having 16 pixel pipelines as oppossed to the 24 pixel pipelines boasted by the BFG card I was considering. Also, the Core clock and memory clock speeds are slower than the 7900GTX. I have seen alot of people running the 7900GTX with no problems, this is the first time I ever heard of someone going through all that to get theirs to work - But I certainly appreciate the info, letting me know they are demanding, power hungry cards.

2) I am seriously considering the OCZ PSU now, since it has been recommended to me, more than a couple of times. Question though, about the OCZ.. do you have to "dial" in the adjustable rails BEFORE the PSU will work properly? If so, do you simply use the LEDs on the back with the color codes to do that? Sorry for the n00b questions about this PSU, but I have never owned one before.

Thanks!!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
1) Would the ATI VGA work well with my NForce4 chipset? I used to use ATI, but was using VIA chipsets on my Asus Mobo's in past. I know I am limited on my current mobo, with running (2) ATI's in crossfire, since I have a board certified for SLi - also, checking into the ATI Sapphire card, noticed it only having 16 pixel pipelines as oppossed to the 24 pixel pipelines boasted by the BFG card I was considering. Also, the Core clock and memory clock speeds are slower than the 7900GTX. I have seen alot of people running the 7900GTX with no problems, this is the first time I ever heard of someone going through all that to get theirs to work - But I certainly appreciate the info, letting me know they are demanding, power hungry cards.

2) I am seriously considering the OCZ PSU now, since it has been recommended to me, more than a couple of times. Question though, about the OCZ.. do you have to "dial" in the adjustable rails BEFORE the PSU will work properly? If so, do you simply use the LEDs on the back with the color codes to do that? Sorry for the n00b questions about this PSU, but I have never owned one before.

Thanks!!

Hopefully, someone more knowledgable will chime in here. From reviews I've read, the strong point of the ATI is the 48 pixel shaders, in part because some recent games require this capability. I'm pretty sure you need XFire mobo capability specifically - that is, an SLI-capable mobo won't run XF. Whereas I have been thinking about SLI 7900GTX, I have not been leaning towards XF X1900XT because reviews make XF more difficult to run reliably. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that my nvidia mobo (Asus A8N32SLI Dlx) would support a single x1900XT. I hope I'm not wrong there but I guess it's time to re-check before I order it. Anyone know if I'm hosed there? I'd rather not have to change mobo too. Probably just try another 7900GTX before doing that (why are there no "horror stricken" emoticons over there onthe left?) 8O :(

WRT my 7900GTX problems, I have to hope that I just got a couple of lemons. I've used nvidial GPUs without any problems in the past and have more than enough general computer assembly experience to set one up without screwing up. My impression had been that the ATI was a more power-hungry beast, so when eVGA tech people were doubting my PS, I was kinda shocked. First of all, they acted like they had never heard of Enermax. Now think about that a minute... Then they acted like a 620 watt PS with two 22A rails was limp. Whereas on my home rigs, I err towards the side of having extra watts, I know from experience at work that a 300 watt PS will power a fair number of power-hungry components. I have to admit, I lost some confidence in eVGA just by the way their tech people talked to me. When I got off the phone with them and did a reality check at Newegg, it was reassuring that I hadn't been clawing around in the dark for the last 30 years.

I'm not too worried about clock speeds regarding X1900XT vs 7900GTX. Both are a significant step up from my 6800GS and the benchmarks I've been reading lead me to believe either would be excellent - assuming I get a functional board and set it up right. If anything, the top ATI boards seem to run most games faster than the eVGAs. I'd been leaning towards eVGA because my history with them was that they were less problematic and less demanding to set up than ATIs.

Sorry, I have no OXZ PS experience, so I can't help there.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
hytek9 said:
Now, if an 800 watt PS can handle TWO X1900XTs, why can't it handle one little, energy efficient 7900GTX?

I hope you get a PS with at least 3 kilowatts and enough 12 current capability to light up Vegas because otherwise, you'll never manage that SLI you have planned.

Thanks!!

u shouldnt have to mess with it if ur not OC'ing or running liek 15 HDD's

its a very good PSU stock, anyways manual should tell u

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
hytek9 said:

Thanks!!

If you're only running with a single ATI card, then the Nforce 4 chipset is the best chipset out, only if you want to run crossfire, then you will need an ATI Chipset motherboard, but I wouldn't recommend running crossfire or SLI. From what I understand on those OCZ Powerstream PSU's, is that once you boot it, you just need to adjust the voltages a little for better tweaking. If the light is red you need to turn it down, and if it is yellow (I think) you need to turn it up, and green is the hot spot. You should only have to do it once, unless you overclock and turn your memory/V-core voltages up.

hytek9

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006

Last quick OCZ related question, I checked this PSU at the egg $135 (great price) but they advertise the main connector as being a 20+4 pin. Is this the same as the native 24 pin setup (because my ASUS A8n-sli requires it)

Just making sure, I am getting this PSU if it will work, just wanted to ask BEFORE I made the purchase.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817711002

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
The 20+4 pin setup is native to both 20 and 24 pin. Basically all it is, is a regular 20 pin connector that can be used in 20 pin motherboards, then you can add a 4 pin connector to it to make it 24 pin to work on the newer motherboards. Just watch when you plug it in, and make sure that your plugging in the right connector. The manual and usually the cable will have something on it on how to use the 24 pin connection.

linux_0

Splendid
Level 1 tech support pretty much sucks across the board and is not nVidia or ATI specific.

nVidia cards and the 7900GT is better @ OpenGL, runs cooler, consumes less power and has better drivers and better OS support.

ATI cards like the X1900 are better @ D3D, and do not run very well in non-M$ operating systems.

SLI is more stable and more mature.

Crossfile is faster by a few FPS in some benchmarks.

nForce4 + a single PCI-Express card offers best performance for the money.

TRENDING THREADS