56K modem and Vonage

Anyone tried getting an analog modem to work over VoIP services like
Vonage?

Hello,

> Anyone tried getting an analog modem to work over VoIP services like
> Vonage?
Yes, I some time ago I was making SIP calls while being on the dialup
modem (no DSL in the new apartment!). Should work as long as you are using
g729/g723 codecs, are not browsing web at the same time and your ISP has a
decent connectivity.

WBR, Andrew
--
Andrew Zhilenko
Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

I actually mean trying to establish a dialup connection across a
high-speed VoIP service. i.e. dial into a server or remote device
across the Vonage virtual circuit instead of a land line.

"Canadian_eh!" <I_am_Canadian_eh@Beer.com> wrote in message
> Anyone tried getting an analog modem to work over VoIP services like
> Vonage?

I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
(no idea what the actual datarate is...)

Fonality has a TiVo friendly mode, but I've not tried it yet.

-jav

Javier Henderson wrote:

> I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
> about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
> (no idea what the actual datarate is...)

Is this while using *99?

Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> writes:

> Javier Henderson wrote:
>
> > I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
> > about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
> > (no idea what the actual datarate is...)
>

> Is this while using *99?

I'm not sure what *99 does...

-jav

Javier Henderson wrote:

> Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> writes:
>

>>Javier Henderson wrote:
>>

>>>I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
>>>about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
>>>(no idea what the actual datarate is...)
>>

>>Is this while using *99?
>

> I'm not sure what *99 does...

It depends on your settings. If you've never played around with the
"bandwidth saver" feature while looking at your account online, then it
probably doesn't do anything. But if you have reduced the bandwidth
setting from its default, then *99 forces the ATA to use a full 90kbps
connection for that call.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that Tivo even allows for dialing
prefixes, but I could be wrong.

In message <86ekm5u91p.fsf@skylane.kjsl.com> Javier Henderson
<javier@KJSL.COM> wrote:

>> > I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds
>> > about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed
>> > (no idea what the actual datarate is...)
>>

>> Is this while using *99?
>
>I'm not sure what *99 does...

My understanding is that it tells Vonage to use the highest call quality
option for this call only -- The idea being that it's needed for faxes
or modem calls, but not strictly required for voice calls.

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

DevilsPGD <UseTheReplyToField@crazyhat.net> writes:

> >> Is this while using *99?
> >
> >I'm not sure what *99 does...
>
> My understanding is that it tells Vonage to use the highest call quality
> option for this call only -- The idea being that it's needed for faxes
> or modem calls, but not strictly required for voice calls.

Good info to have. I'll try that and see if the success rate improves.

-jav